MimeTyme icons - Macro

bedipp bedipp

MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi all,

as I wasn't able to have any good idea on Draw and Base, I went over to
the Macro icon idea I had in mind for some time now:

The two gear-wheels of my first proposal are too bold for the larger
icons, so I played with syntax highlighted text (directly copied from
LibO macro code window).

Here is the result:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png

The gradient on the gear wheels is still too dark (should be the same as
the document border), but I have to stop for tonight.

I uploaded the source again to the known destination, linked from the
Icon wiki page: (I updated the present work status)

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons#Present_State_of_the_Icon_Design

Best regards

Bernhard

mirek2 mirek2

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

2011/1/13 Bernhard Dippold <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,
>
> as I wasn't able to have any good idea on Draw and Base, I went over to the
> Macro icon idea I had in mind for some time now:
>
> The two gear-wheels of my first proposal are too bold for the larger icons,
> so I played with syntax highlighted text (directly copied from LibO macro
> code window).
>
> Here is the result:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png

I like it. +1

> The gradient on the gear wheels is still too dark (should be the same as
> the document border), but I have to stop for tonight.
>
> I uploaded the source again to the known destination, linked from the Icon
> wiki page: (I updated the present work status)
>

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons#Present_State_of_the_Icon_Design
>

> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Mirek, hi Bernhard!

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 19:33 +0100 schrieb Mirek M.:
> 2011/1/13 Bernhard Dippold <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as I wasn't able to have any good idea on Draw and Base, I went over to the
> > Macro icon idea I had in mind for some time now:

Cool!

> > The two gear-wheels of my first proposal are too bold for the larger icons,
> > so I played with syntax highlighted text (directly copied from LibO macro
> > code window).

So it's getting real high-fidelity, don't you think? :-)

> > Here is the result:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png
>

> I like it. +1

A great start, but I'd like to add some thoughts as well. When I tried
to collect some of the symbolism ideas, I've noticed that the new icon
theme in LibO does not show any gear wheel :-( Instead, the icons there
are a funny mix of everything ... so there is a need to decide whether
to keep or not to keep the gear wheel.

This is what I've added to the wiki page: "The tango icons don't use a
gear wheel for the macros. Sometimes it looks like a stack of paper, a
piece of paper with syntax highlighted code, or a rectangular "play"
button."

So, if the gear wheel might be hard to identify, how about
using/overlaying this play button? Personally, I think there is enough
differentiation to media files. Up to you ...

The longer I am looking at the (large) icons, the more I'd like to
propose to use thicker lines for the code ... but then it gets (maybe
too) similar to Writer.

And, if I remember correctly, once you mentioned the terminal window
surrounding that code. Did you try that (maybe you did, and there were
good reasons to omit that)?

> > The gradient on the gear wheels is still too dark (should be the same as
> > the document border), but I have to stop for tonight.
> >
> > I uploaded the source again to the known destination, linked from the Icon
> > wiki page: (I updated the present work status)

Thanks!

Currently, I'm not sure what icon to pick tomorrow - maybe Math, or
maybe Draw. Although I've spend too much time with Impress today, so
something different helps to "tidy up" my mind. If anybody of guys wants
to work on that, just let us know (on the list).

Sorry, I'm - again - unable to answer many of the other posts (Björn,
why do I omit your posts so regularly?), but other LibO duties also
require some time.

Cheers,
Christoph

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Christoph, all,

Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Mirek, hi Bernhard!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 19:33 +0100 schrieb Mirek M.:
> > 2011/1/13 Bernhard Dippold <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > [...]
> > > Here is the result:
> > > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png
> >

> > I like it. +1
>
> A great start, but I'd like to add some thoughts as well. When I tried
> to collect some of the symbolism ideas, I've noticed that the new icon
> theme in LibO does not show any gear wheel :-( Instead, the icons there
> are a funny mix of everything ... so there is a need to decide whether
> to keep or not to keep the gear wheel.

I don't know where the menu icons derive (Tango?), but you're right:
We should be (or at least become) consistent.

> This is what I've added to the wiki page: "The tango icons don't use a
> gear wheel for the macros. Sometimes it looks like a stack of paper, a
> piece of paper with syntax highlighted code, or a rectangular "play"
> button."
>
> So, if the gear wheel might be hard to identify, how about
> using/overlaying this play button? Personally, I think there is enough
> differentiation to media files. Up to you ...

I'm not quite sure - the play button is heavily connected to media in
my *personal* perception. Bu this doesn't mean anything in general.

This topic might be a very good starting point for preforming user
surveys (if this is possible with not too much effort): Present
different symbols for macros and find out what they think about them.

> The longer I am looking at the (large) icons, the more I'd like to
> propose to use thicker lines for the code ... but then it gets (maybe
> too) similar to Writer.

That's been my problem - together with the intention to present not
only the different colors, but the typical structure of loops and case
selection.

This is rather impossible with thicker lines.

And I didn't go away from the gear wheel as main symbol - the
syntax highlighted text was meant only as second level symbolism.

> And, if I remember correctly, once you mentioned the terminal window
> surrounding that code. Did you try that (maybe you did, and there were
> good reasons to omit that)?

No I didn't.

Together with window borders and a few buttons (of course <play>,
the correct English translation]) this might become a design that doesn't
need the gear wheel at all.

But I don't know how this will work in small scales (only the buttons?).

If we do a survey ...

At the moment I'd like to stick with this design, if nobody objects.

When we've finished a first version of the other icons, we can come back
on this again.

> > > The gradient on the gear wheels is still too dark (should be the same as
> > > the document border), but I have to stop for tonight.
> > >
> > > I uploaded the source again to the known destination, linked from the Icon
> > > wiki page: (I updated the present work status)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Currently, I'm not sure what icon to pick tomorrow - maybe Math, or
> maybe Draw. Although I've spend too much time with Impress today, so
> something different helps to "tidy up" my mind. If anybody of guys wants
> to work on that, just let us know (on the list).

If you start the Math icon: I had an idea of combining the symbol(s) with a
smaller area for syntax input at the bottom - similar to the actual Math window.

Don't know if it works - just wanted to let you know...

Best regards

Bernhard

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Bernhard,

to begin with - it is a real pleasure to work with you, e.g. to see this
progress :-)

Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 09:29 +0100 schrieb Dr. Bernhard Dippold:

> I don't know where the menu icons derive (Tango?), but you're right:
> We should be (or at least become) consistent.

For the Macros, this seems impossible at the moment ;-) I made a
screenshot to highlight the areas that refer to Macros (running,
selecting, ...):
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XR2kOg02yV_YpxtKIysIbg?feat=directlink

Weird, or?

> > This is what I've added to the wiki page: "The tango icons don't use a
> > gear wheel for the macros. Sometimes it looks like a stack of paper, a
> > piece of paper with syntax highlighted code, or a rectangular "play"
> > button."
> >
> > So, if the gear wheel might be hard to identify, how about
> > using/overlaying this play button? Personally, I think there is enough
> > differentiation to media files. Up to you ...
>
> I'm not quite sure - the play button is heavily connected to media in
> my *personal* perception. Bu this doesn't mean anything in general.

No, I think you're right. I had (again) a look at LibreOffice and the
play icon seems to be (very, very strange) connected with "Select Macro"
and "Select Module" (play + hand). Nothing worth to copy :-)

> And I didn't go away from the gear wheel as main symbol - the
> syntax highlighted text was meant only as second level symbolism.

Okay, as you know, I still like the idea ... for our very first version
(perceiving some time pressure), this seems great and easy to alter
afterwards (if required).

> At the moment I'd like to stick with this design, if nobody objects.
>
> When we've finished a first version of the other icons, we can come back
> on this again.

Totally agree! Thanks for your work :-)

> If you start the Math icon: I had an idea of combining the symbol(s) with a
> smaller area for syntax input at the bottom - similar to the actual Math window.
>
> Don't know if it works - just wanted to let you know...

Cool idea, let's see whether it can be put together ...

Cheers,
Christoph

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi all,

Bernhard Dippold schrieb:
> [...]
>
> Here is the result:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png

I added the HC icons.

I uploaded the source containing both (Macro and Writer/Web) icons to
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/3/3e/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg

Best regards

Bernhard

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Bernhard,

I love the Macro icon concept.  My only issue is the gear itself.  Despite
the fact that it looks rather like an involute
gear<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear>which as an engineer I
really appreciate, I think it would be more
recognizable as a square toothed gear, something like the gear in this logo
(top left corner): ESW <http://www.esustainableworld.org/>
Also I feel like the gear could be a little larger at the 16px icon size.

I will try my hand at it modifying it later today as I partially designed a
modification to that logo and have the .svg file for it (somewhere...).

Cheers,
Jaron

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Bernhard Dippold schrieb:
>
>> [...]
>>

>> Here is the result:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png
>>
>>  I added the HC icons.
>
> I uploaded the source containing both (Macro and Writer/Web) icons to
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/3/3e/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg
>

> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Jaron, *

Jaron Kuppers schrieb:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I love the Macro icon concept.  My only issue is the gear itself.  Despite
> the fact that it looks rather like an involute
> gear<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear>which as an engineer I
> really appreciate, I think it would be more
> recognizable as a square toothed gear, something like the gear in this logo
> (top left corner): ESW<http://www.esustainableworld.org/>
> Also I feel like the gear could be a little larger at the 16px icon size.
>
> I will try my hand at it modifying it later today as I partially designed a
> modification to that logo and have the .svg file for it (somewhere...).

Here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg

It should be linked from the Initial Icon page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons

I'm looking forwards to your draft :-)

Best regards

Bernhard

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi everyone,

I updated the gear:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:2011-01-20_Macro_Proposal.png

Sorry, I ran out of time to present it in the official icon proposal
template but it should hopefully suffice for seeing the change.  I think its
slightly better but the axle hole in the gear should probably be bigger for
the 16px icon size.

Cheers,
Jaron

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jaron, *
>
> Jaron Kuppers schrieb:
>
>> Hi Bernhard,
>>
>> I love the Macro icon concept.  My only issue is the gear itself.  Despite
>> the fact that it looks rather like an involute
>> gear<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear>which as an engineer I
>>
>> really appreciate, I think it would be more
>> recognizable as a square toothed gear, something like the gear in this
>> logo
>> (top left corner): ESW<http://www.esustainableworld.org/>
>>
>> Also I feel like the gear could be a little larger at the 16px icon size.
>>
>> I will try my hand at it modifying it later today as I partially designed
>> modification to that logo and have the .svg file for it (somewhere...).
>>

> Here:
>

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg
>
> It should be linked from the Initial Icon page:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons
>
> I'm looking forwards to your draft :-)
>

> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

I apologize for the double post.

In case someone wants to play with the original gear icon I included the svg
file: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Gears_in_Macro_Icon.svg
It will be easier to use this file to recreate the gear or change it in some
way.

Cheers,
Jaron

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I updated the gear:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:2011-01-20_Macro_Proposal.png
>
> Sorry, I ran out of time to present it in the official icon proposal
> template but it should hopefully suffice for seeing the change.  I think its
> slightly better but the axle hole in the gear should probably be bigger for
> the 16px icon size.
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron
>

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Bernhard Dippold <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaron, *
>>
>> Jaron Kuppers schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi Bernhard,
>>>
>>> I love the Macro icon concept.  My only issue is the gear itself.
>>>  Despite
>>> the fact that it looks rather like an involute
>>> gear<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute_gear>which as an engineer I
>>>
>>> really appreciate, I think it would be more
>>> recognizable as a square toothed gear, something like the gear in this
>>> logo
>>> (top left corner): ESW<http://www.esustainableworld.org/>
>>>
>>> Also I feel like the gear could be a little larger at the 16px icon size.
>>>
>>> I will try my hand at it modifying it later today as I partially designed
>>> modification to that logo and have the .svg file for it (somewhere...).
>>>

>> Here:
>>

>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg
>>
>> It should be linked from the Initial Icon page:
>>
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons
>>
>> I'm looking forwards to your draft :-)
>>

>> Best regards
>>
>> Bernhard

>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Jaron,

Jaron Kuppers schrieb:
> I apologize for the double post.
>
> In case someone wants to play with the original gear icon I included the svg
> file: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Gears_in_Macro_Icon.svg
> It will be easier to use this file to recreate the gear or change it in some
> way.

Thanks a lot for your improvements.

I like the new wheels :-)

At the moment I'm very short in time, so I just wanted to tell you that
I had a look at it.

Best regards

Bernhard

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Jaron, all,

Jaron Kuppers schrieb:
> I apologize for the double post.
>
> In case someone wants to play with the original gear icon I included the svg
> file: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Gears_in_Macro_Icon.svg
> It will be easier to use this file to recreate the gear or change it in some
> way.

Thanks for the source.

I included it in the icon and tried Christoph's proposal to broaden the
text behind the gear a bit.

Please have a look:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_icon_proposal.png

(reload to clean cache...)

Best regards

Bernhard

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: MimeTyme icons - Macro

Hi Bernhard,

Looks much nicer with the larger text behind the gear.  Rotating the gear
really helps clean up the 16px icon.  The only change I would make to the
icon set would be a change to the size of the gear and its location in the
16px icon.  I tried it out real quick here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565462304015028738  I
think it looks a bit cleaner (gear axle is clearer).

What do people think?  I am currently running out the door so I will have to
upload the source later.

Cheers,
Jaron

Am Sonntag, den 23.01.2011, 14:17 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> Looks much nicer with the larger text behind the gear.  Rotating the gear
> really helps clean up the 16px icon.  The only change I would make to the
> icon set would be a change to the size of the gear and its location in the
> 16px icon.  I tried it out real quick here:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565462304015028738  I
> think it looks a bit cleaner (gear axle is clearer).

Just to present my "nit-picking" side: does this icon still respect the
position/size of the application symbols?

Even if not, I think it looks much cleaner - we should go for it (for
the 16px icon), even if it is a bit different. To me, it is important
that all the main application icons are consistent. In this case, the
macro icon might rarely be used together with the main application icons
- so I really appreciate the improved "readability".

> What do people think?  I am currently running out the door so I will have to
> upload the source later.

Bernhard, what do you think?

Would be great!

Cheers,
Christoph

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Jaron!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 23.01.2011, 14:17 -0500 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:
> > Looks much nicer with the larger text behind the gear.  Rotating the gear
> > really helps clean up the 16px icon.  The only change I would make to the
> > icon set would be a change to the size of the gear and its location in
> the
> > 16px icon.  I tried it out real quick here:
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565462304015028738 I
> > think it looks a bit cleaner (gear axle is clearer).
>
> Just to present my "nit-picking" side: does this icon still respect the
> position/size of the application symbols?

You caught me... not exactly!  The other icons don't have elements that
exceed 8 px width although some currently have elements only 7 px wide.  I
stretched that rule a little and made the gear 8.5 px wide.  I find bitmaps
to be tricky at small scales and a small change can make a world of
difference.  In this case I had hoped 0.5 pixels could be overlooked for the
improved look.  :-)
As for position there is still a 1 pixel boundary at the bottom of the icon
and it is still centered.

> Even if not, I think it looks much cleaner - we should go for it (for
> the 16px icon), even if it is a bit different. To me, it is important
> that all the main application icons are consistent. In this case, the
> macro icon might rarely be used together with the main application icons
> - so I really appreciate the improved "readability".

Agreed; consistency is important. Therefore if we want, the 8 px wide gear
looks 90% as good but follows the rules.  Here you can see it for
comparison:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565517165618886402  (8.5
px left, 8 px right)

Cheers,
Jaron

bedipp bedipp

Re: MimeType icons - Macro

Hi Jaron, Christoph,

Jaron Kuppers schrieb:

> Hi Christoph,
>

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Christoph
> Noack<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaron! [...] Just to present my "nit-picking" side: does this
>> icon still respect the position/size of the application symbols?
>>
> You caught me... not exactly!  The other icons don't have elements
> that exceed 8 px width although some currently have elements only 7
> px wide.

The source contains a hidden layer containing the area Christoph mentions.

> I stretched that rule a little and made the gear 8.5 px wide.  I find
> bitmaps to be tricky at small scales and a small change can make a
> world of difference.  In this case I had hoped 0.5 pixels could be
> overlooked for the improved look.  :-) As for position there is still
> a 1 pixel boundary at the bottom of the icon and it is still
> centered.

I'd prefer to stay consistent, but the visual impression might be more
important than single pixels.

>> Even if not, I think it looks much cleaner - we should go for it
>> (for the 16px icon), even if it is a bit different. To me, it is
>> important that all the main application icons are consistent. In
>> this case, the macro icon might rarely be used together with the
>> main application icons - so I really appreciate the improved
>> "readability".
>>
> Agreed; consistency is important. Therefore if we want, the 8 px wide
> gear looks 90% as good but follows the rules.  Here you can see it
> for comparison:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5565517165618886402
> (8.5 px left, 8 px right)

I like the larger gear wheel - but not because it's half a pixel wider,
but because the symbol's borders are sharper.

But looking at the source Christoph defined the maximum symbol size as
8px width and 7px height.

While my present version is smaller (don't really know why) I exported a
version with the maximum height (becoming 7,4 px wide):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Macro_16px.png

Comparing the three ones your wheels look darker - did you go away from
the grey gradient already used on the borders (if not, it's a resizing
problem here...)?

The 8.5 wheel is still the sharpest, but I don't see much difference
between 8 and 7 - except the different color.

In my eyes it depends on our interest in staying consistent:

If we want to stay consistent, we should use the 7px (7.4px) version -
as the macro icon will not be used very often, there might be just a few
people noticing the icon at all.

If we want to provide the visually better icons, I'd go for 8.5 px (even
if there is no background between wheel and border).

My personal preference is staying with the standard (showing that we
follow our own rules), but this preference is quite weak...

Best regards

Bernhard