MimeType icons - Impress

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

MimeType icons - Impress

Hi all,

FYI I am trying my hand at the Impress logo.

Cheers,
Jaron

Jaron Kuppers Jaron Kuppers

Re: MimeType icons - Impress

Hi again!

Here is my Impress logo proposal.  I didn't have time to do the template or
high contrast; if people like the proposal I will try and do them tomorrow.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5561372493533331106

Cheers,
Jaron

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> FYI I am trying my hand at the Impress logo.
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: MimeType icons - Impress

Hi Jaron,

Thanks for joining in this effort - it's much appreciated and it's
great to have you on board!

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Here is my Impress logo proposal.  I didn't have time to do the template or
> high contrast; if people like the proposal I will try and do them tomorrow.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5561372493533331106

The 'mountain' image really stands out on this icon because the colors
are so different (on the Writer icon, the sky in the image went well
with the overall blue of the icon, as did the green). So, for this
icon, I would suggest something like a pie graph, or just getting rid
of the image altogether (unless you can find an image design that
works well with Impress's oranges/brown colors?)

One more suggestion: I think the inner rounded rectangle frame could
be taller (going upward) by another 8-10 pixels on the 128x128 icon.
Christoph's Writer icon [1] is taller in this respect and it would be
good to have consistency in the size of the icon's inner
emblems/symbols.

Regards,
Ivan.

[1]

mirek2 mirek2

Re: MimeType icons - Impress

Hi Jaron and Ivan,

2011/1/12 Ivan M. <[hidden email]>

> Hi Jaron,
>
> Thanks for joining in this effort - it's much appreciated and it's
> great to have you on board!
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi again!
> >
> > Here is my Impress logo proposal.  I didn't have time to do the template
> or
> > high contrast; if people like the proposal I will try and do them
> tomorrow.
> >
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5561372493533331106
>
> The 'mountain' image really stands out on this icon because the colors
> are so different (on the Writer icon, the sky in the image went well
> with the overall blue of the icon, as did the green). So, for this
> icon, I would suggest something like a pie graph, or just getting rid
> of the image altogether (unless you can find an image design that
> works well with Impress's oranges/brown colors?)
>
> One more suggestion: I think the inner rounded rectangle frame could
> be taller (going upward) by another 8-10 pixels on the 128x128 icon.
> Christoph's Writer icon [1] is taller in this respect and it would be
> good to have consistency in the size of the icon's inner
> emblems/symbols.

+1 on both of these.
As for the symbol, how about just a title and a big pie chart, maybe a
descriptive line of text below it (as presentations really shouldn't have
much text, because reading occupies the same part of the brain as listening,
whereas purely visual information occupies a different part).

> Regards,
> Ivan.
>
> [1]

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: MimeType icons - Impress

Hi Jaron, Mirek, all!

Thanks for providing the source code and the icons! As promised, I tried
to bring in some other ideas concerning the Impress icon. But still, I'm
not that much happy with it ... let's get some more comments :-)

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 22:54 +0100 schrieb Mirek M.:
> 2011/1/12 Ivan M. <[hidden email]>
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Here is my Impress logo proposal.  I didn't have time to do the template
> > > http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5561372493533331106

> As for the symbol, how about just a title and a big pie chart, maybe a
> descriptive line of text below it (as presentations really shouldn't have
> much text, because reading occupies the same part of the brain as listening,
> whereas purely visual information occupies a different part).

Zen of Presentation :-)

I this case, we may miss a bit distinctiveness with regard to the Chart
icon. Although I've never seen any Chart icon on any desktop ... so it
may not matter ;-) And by the way, I've tried some pie charts, but I did
not succeed to keep the current visual style ... so I realized on of my
initial proposals.

Here is an export of the retouched Impress icon:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mkST1jhPX0UnpmiuRVSu6Q?feat=directlink

Here is the graphic source file:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons-Christoph.svg

Changes:
      * Impress: Added "Default Color" icons
      * Writer: Removed small landscape symbol from the 16px icon
        (discussion a few days old ...)
      * Calc: Corrected the background for the grid in the 48px icon
        (now it is dark green)

Bugfixing: Fixing cloning issue for 16px HC icon

Remaining issues:
      * The detail level of the new Impress icons differ in comparison
        with the other icons. For example, the line chart requires much
        too many details (and adds too much detail) for the 32 px icons.
        So we end up to be a bit inconsistent.
      * It seems that the wiki doesn't allow re-licensing the easy way
        via the dropdown. It seems that the wiki page source code has to
        be tweaked, but I did not invest that much time. Does anybody of
        you know how to solve that?
      * Many icons still missing :-\

Any comments? And by the way, if you like to play with / use some
alternatives, please have a look in the "Draft Section" within the
source file.

And to all, thanks for the great cooperation!

Cheers,
Christoph