Minor TDF Wiki nitpick: "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources"

ahiijny ahiijny

Minor TDF Wiki nitpick: "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources"

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this.

Recently, I've noticed a little shield icon with a red 'x' in my
Chrome address bar whenever I'm on a page from the TDF wiki. For
example, I can see this on:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website

When I click on the icon, it says "Insecure content blocked: This page
is trying to load scripts from unauthorized sources".

When I open JavaScript console, I see this error message:

> Mixed Content: The page at 'https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://freegeoip.net/shutdown'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

This is just a minor nitpick since it doesn't really hinder the
browsing experience, but might it be possible for someone to resolve
this?

Thanks,
Ahiijny

Guilhem Moulin Guilhem Moulin

Re: Minor TDF Wiki nitpick: "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources"

Hi Ahiijny,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 23:55:39 -0500, ahiijny wrote:
> Recently, I've noticed a little shield icon with a red 'x' in my
> Chrome address bar whenever I'm on a page from the TDF wiki.
> […]
> When I click on the icon, it says "Insecure content blocked: This page
> is trying to load scripts from unauthorized sources".
> […]
> This is just a minor nitpick since it doesn't really hinder the
> browsing experience, but might it be possible for someone to resolve
> this?

Hmm, it definitely wasn't intentional, and probably slipped through
because Firefox-based browsers don't have third-party requests to this
service (AFAICT).  The culprit was the ‘UniversalLanguageSelector’
extension, cf. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Uj6wokrcatlfropr .
I now unset ‘$wgULSGeoService’, which also removes requests to
‘freegeoip.net’.

Thanks for the report!
Guilhem.