Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

* Present: Jay, Kendy, Samuel, Steve
 
* Completed Action Items:
 
    + none - the first call :-)
 
* Pending Action Items:
 
    + none
 
* UI changes integrated the last week (Samuel):
   
    + Samuel tests + reads the code
        + thanks for your work there! (Kendy)

    + Firefox themes footer
        + footer themes did not work initially, but Michael J. fixed
          that
    + Alternating lines highlight in the Expert configuration listbox
        + should that be enabled on more places?  possibly even default?
        + AI Samuel: Will try to switch it on generally; and also check
          what the other platforms are doing (like, if this way of
          highlighting is known/standard there)
    + Style dropdown: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.4#Style_dropdown
        + beautiful!!! (Kendy)
    + Changes toolbar: New Icons (Jay)
        + completed, pushed now
        + will need a small update - when using a different background (Jay)
        + will update & push & add to the release notes
 
* New Color Picker (Samuel)
 
    + Who's going to finish it?
    + seems some problems there are already fixed
    + AI Jay: will create bugs for the rest in bugzilla, and ping Krisztian
        + some of them could be Easy Hack-ized too
 
* Redmine usage (Kendy)
 
    + Info from admins: Please don't use the Redmine wiki, it is not
      backed up!
    + TDF wiki should be the only wiki we use in the project...
        + AI Kendy: Check the how much info is in the redmine wiki
    + What advantage does Redmine have?
        + I like the forums (Jay)
        + Seems the forums is the ~only supported part of redmine
          though (Kendy)
        + Not much information who proposed the redmine initially,
          need feedback from them (Kendy)
        + mailing list works for me better - to keep track of what
          I've read, no idea if it is possible with forums? (Kendy)
 
* Toolbar group buttons (Samuel / Jay)
 
    + Would be useful to have grouped toolbar buttons - Jay will
      design, Samuel can do some coding
    + But probably not for 4.4
 
* Large Icons (Jay)
 
    + Usage of large icons by default on windows (Jay) fdo#82309
        + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=82309
        + We already have that as the default on Linux and OS X
        + Mentioned the reasons in the bug
        + Adolfo objected; but no further discussion
        + small icons made sense when we had 800x600 screens (Jay)
            + relict of old times?
            + Support that: small icons on OS X are just too tiny, never used
              that (Steve)
        + current approach in the code: if menu font size is bigger than a limit,
          show large icons
        + proposed change: when horizontal resolution is larger or equal
          than 1024 pixels, show large icons
            + let's try it in master and see if people oppose too much (Kendy)
                + and revert if yes
            + concern if we hear about the positive feedback too (Steve)
            + blog about that, so that people can comment when they
              like it (Steve)
    + Usage of large icons in the sidebar
        + would be useful when there is enough space
        + layout updates when the icons are bigger (Jay)
        + should be ~easy to bind it to the toolbar icon size setting, IIRC (Kendy)
            + AI Kendy: let's make an Easy Hack to conform to the icon size
              setting, Kendy will provide the code pointers

* Sidebar Improvements (Jay)
 
    + Addition of the style drop down to properties pane
    + Redesign of the properties pane
    + Creation of a new page properties pane
    + Integrating table toolbar features into the properties pane
    + 2 proposals, but who will do the code?
    + AI Kendy: Will provide Jay with pointers to .ui for the sidebar - so
      that he can try it in glade

[the rest of the topics deferred to the next week :-)]

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

Hi,

this is great!

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 11:49:21AM +0200, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> * Present: Jay, Kendy, Samuel, Steve
> * Pending Action Items:

Since you are writing minutes for these calls Kendy, would you self-assign and
close:

 https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/682

It seems you are the obvious candidate here! ;D

Best,

Bjoern
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

In reply to this post by Jan Holesovsky-4
Hi Guys
Great initiative.

On 02-10-2014 06:49, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> * Present: Jay, Kendy, Samuel, Steve
>
>     + Firefox themes footer
>         + footer themes did not work initially, but Michael J. fixed
>           that

It indeed works, although I thought originally the theme should be on
the status bar as well and not only in the lowest toolbar.


>     + Alternating lines highlight in the Expert configuration listbox
>         + should that be enabled on more places?  possibly even default?
>         + AI Samuel: Will try to switch it on generally; and also check
>           what the other platforms are doing (like, if this way of
>           highlighting is known/standard there)

On the next GSOC, we must have a search bar there. The gigantic list of
configs is almost useless and discouraging to scroll through.


>     + Style dropdown: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.4#Style_dropdown
>         + beautiful!!! (Kendy)
>     + Changes toolbar: New Icons (Jay)
>         + completed, pushed now
>         + will need a small update - when using a different background (Jay)
>         + will update & push & add to the release notes
>  
> * New Color Picker (Samuel)
>  
>     + Who's going to finish it?
>     + seems some problems there are already fixed
>     + AI Jay: will create bugs for the rest in bugzilla, and ping Krisztian
>         + some of them could be Easy Hack-ized too

It will be even nicer to have this color picker inside the many dialog
boxes (to get new colors into styles for example). The color drop-down
lists is still hooked into the default colors.

Kind regards
--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://ask.libreoffice.org/pt-br
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Andras Timar Andras Timar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

In reply to this post by Jan Holesovsky-4
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     + Alternating lines highlight in the Expert configuration listbox
>         + should that be enabled on more places?  possibly even default?
>         + AI Samuel: Will try to switch it on generally; and also check
>           what the other platforms are doing (like, if this way of
>           highlighting is known/standard there)

Currently alternating listbox colors are hard coded, and this is a
regression from the previous state, if we use a non-default theme,
such as High Contrast #2 on Windows. See the screenshot below, text is
unreadable on white/grey background. Even the labels on tree control
of Options dialog have white background as a side effect.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttugyt8y5dgybb1/hicontrast.png

Regards,
Andras
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

Am 02.10.2014 um 12:43 schrieb Andras Timar:
> Currently alternating listbox colors are hard coded, and this is a
> regression from the previous state, if we use a non-default theme,
> such as High Contrast #2 on Windows. See the screenshot below, text is
> unreadable on white/grey background. Even the labels on tree control
> of Options dialog have white background as a side effect.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttugyt8y5dgybb1/hicontrast.png
>
I've already logged a bug for this, will look at it shortly:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84592

Thanks!
Samuel
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

In reply to this post by Olivier Hallot-4

re-sending

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Assunto: Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01
Data: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:08:39 -0300
De: Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]>
Para: [hidden email]

Hi Guys
Great initiative.

On 02-10-2014 06:49, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> * Present: Jay, Kendy, Samuel, Steve
>
>     + Firefox themes footer
>         + footer themes did not work initially, but Michael J. fixed
>           that

It indeed works, although I thought originally the theme should be on
the status bar as well and not only in the lowest toolbar.


>     + Alternating lines highlight in the Expert configuration listbox
>         + should that be enabled on more places?  possibly even default?
>         + AI Samuel: Will try to switch it on generally; and also check
>           what the other platforms are doing (like, if this way of
>           highlighting is known/standard there)

On the next GSOC, we must have a search bar there. The gigantic list of
configs is almost useless and discouraging to scroll through.


>     + Style dropdown: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.4#Style_dropdown
>         + beautiful!!! (Kendy)
>     + Changes toolbar: New Icons (Jay)
>         + completed, pushed now
>         + will need a small update - when using a different background (Jay)
>         + will update & push & add to the release notes
>  
> * New Color Picker (Samuel)
>  
>     + Who's going to finish it?
>     + seems some problems there are already fixed
>     + AI Jay: will create bugs for the rest in bugzilla, and ping Krisztian
>         + some of them could be Easy Hack-ized too

It will be even nicer to have this color picker inside the many dialog
boxes (to get new colors into styles for example). The color drop-down
lists is still hooked into the default colors.

Kind regards
--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://ask.libreoffice.org/pt-br

--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://ask.libreoffice.org/pt-br


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

In reply to this post by Jan Holesovsky-4
> * New Color Picker (Samuel)
>
>     + Who's going to finish it?

Just a FYI: the color picker, as it stands in current master, is
un-releasable, so if there's no time left, it should be deferred.
Apart from the visual bugs, there's a horrible bug with .ui-based
popups (in Windows at least) that causes them to be positioned very
far from their correct place.

> * Large Icons (Jay)
>         + Adolfo objected; but no further discussion

I am subscribed to the bug FTR. Dunno what else's required from me, I
haven't received more questions.

I just stated that IM(HHHHH)O big icons everywhere makes the UI look
super clunky, we *need* the ability to make some toolbars big and the
rest small (exactly like in the Foxit screenshot over fdo#82309),
there was a GSoC project for that bug got removed from the wiki, why?

--
Adolfo
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 07:39 -0500, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
> > * New Color Picker (Samuel)
> >
> >     + Who's going to finish it?
>
> there's a horrible bug with .ui-based
> popups (in Windows at least) that causes them to be positioned very
> far from their correct place.

Is this fixed by...

commit 7d860f6134654c2f46ceebb1ca1a792c143af795
Author: Maxim Monastirsky <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sun Sep 21 16:06:52 2014 +0300

    WB_OWNERDRAWDECORATION is needed by toolbar popups
   
    Can be tested with the new color popup. Without this
    change it keeps itself on top of other windows, and
    even if the main window lost focus. Also for some vcl
    plugins the popup have a wrong placement.
   
    Change-Id: Ibf4216683ce2c58a1b919cdb63eda964a764eefd

or is it still a problem in master right now?

C.

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Minutes of the Design Hangout: 2014-10-01

2014-10-03 3:10 GMT-05:00 Caolán McNamara <[hidden email]>:
> Is this fixed by...
>
> commit 7d860f6134654c2f46ceebb1ca1a792c143af795
>     WB_OWNERDRAWDECORATION is needed by toolbar popups
> or is it still a problem in master right now?

Nope Caolán, I’ve downloaded a daily build from October the 2nd, and
the problem is still there...

Now there's a bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84676
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice