Misc. Documentation Notes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
JDługosz JDługosz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Misc. Documentation Notes

* Example, "covered in Chapter 1, Introducing Writer."
Should the name of another chapter be in italics or something?  Or even hyperlinked?  Actually, it should have a character style assigned.  

* Similarly, in the Writer guide under "Finding and replacing text", names of UI elements are variously unmarked, italic, or bolded.  Which should it be, under what conditions?
I consistently made sure they were bolded, or occasionally names of fields or tabs in italic.  But, should buttons be bold and fields be italic?  That is, the rules need to be nailed down.  And, rather than just ad-hoc bolding, there should be a char style defined for that.

* I also note that the '→' character used in menu paths, set in "Liberation Mono" and bold, does not look good at all.  The arrow head is too small, and it has thinner strokes than the text it is separating.

* We should share a project-specific dictionary with words like 'autocorrection' and 'autotext'.  Having a dictionary, rather than just ignoring the wavies, will help ensure consistant terminology and spelling.

* I see the phrase "time-varying data" where the hyphen is shaded as if a field.  But It's not telling me what this shading means.  No tool-tip or interesting information when I right click.  How do I find that?

* Note that choosing "default formatting" for a selection via the context menu does not save a Formatting change note!  Somehow a whole bunch of copies of the word "options" were in a funny font.

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misc. Documentation Notes


Le 06/02/2011 13:23, John M. Dlugosz a écrit :
> * Example, "covered in Chapter 1, Introducing Writer." Should the
> name of another chapter be in italics or something?  Or even
> hyperlinked?  Actually, it should have a character style assigned.

+1

> * Similarly, in the Writer guide under "Finding and replacing text",
> names of UI elements are variously unmarked, italic, or bolded.
> Which should it be, under what conditions? I consistently made sure
> they were bolded, or occasionally names of fields or tabs in italic.
> But, should buttons be bold and fields be italic?  That is, the rules
> need to be nailed down.  And, rather than just ad-hoc bolding, there
> should be a char style defined for that.

+1

>
> * I also note that the '→' character used in menu paths, set in
> "Liberation Mono" and bold, does not look good at all.  The arrow
> head is too small, and it has thinner strokes than the text it is
> separating.

I'd prefer something like the ">" or "/" chars. Available in any font
without any trouble.

>
> * We should share a project-specific dictionary with words like
> 'autocorrection' and 'autotext'.  Having a dictionary, rather than
> just ignoring the wavies, will help ensure consistant terminology and
> spelling.

+1

Very interesting notes, thanks.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misc. Documentation Notes

In reply to this post by JDługosz
On 2/6/2011 6:29 AM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> John ... I guess if you are already doing this, so you could start it the
> way you choose, later if we have a need to change it, we could always change
> your template.
>
> You already are working with building a template, so just keep on doing
> that, and if it ever needs changing we change the template.
>
> How about that?
>
> Rogerio
>
> 2011/2/6 John M. Dlugosz<[hidden email]>
>
>> * Example, "covered in Chapter 1, Introducing Writer."
>> Should the name of another chapter be in italics or something?  Or even
>> hyperlinked?  Actually, it should have a character style assigned.

I summarized what the template itself had to say about the use of styles (see Terminology and Styles
under "various") -- I noted where I thought new styles looked useful. But the response I got about
trying to do this level of update was basically, "Let's get the documents out first, and clean up
this kind of detail later." Is that still the case? I don't know if anybody else has looked at that
document yet, it will need updating when we focus more on this type of issue.

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Ron Faile Ron Faile
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misc. Documentation Notes

In reply to this post by JDługosz
On 2/6/2011 6:23 AM, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> * Example, "covered in Chapter 1, Introducing Writer."
> Should the name of another chapter be in italics or something?  Or even hyperlinked?  Actually, it should have a character style assigned.
They cannot be hyperlinked until all the chapters are all put in one book.
> * I also note that the '→' character used in menu paths, set in "Liberation Mono" and bold, does not look good at all.  The arrow head is too small, and it has thinner strokes than the text it is separating.
I happen to think that it looks good. There was not a centered arrow in
Liberation Sans, that's why I used the nearest one I could find, in
Liberation Mono.

Ron

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
JDługosz JDługosz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misc. Documentation Notes

In reply to this post by Barbara Duprey
  On 2/6/2011 12:58 PM, Barbara Duprey Barb-at-onr.com |LibreOffice Documentation Mailing
List/Allow to home| wrote:
> I summarized what the template itself had to say about the use of styles (see
> Terminology and Styles under "various") -- I noted where I thought new styles looked
> useful. But the response I got about trying to do this level of update was basically,
> "Let's get the documents out first, and clean up this kind of detail later." Is that
> still the case? I don't know if anybody else has looked at that document yet, it will
> need updating when we focus more on this type of issue.
>
I'll peruse what is under "various", if that's where such notes can be found.

My two cents:  If I'm proofing for any reason and notice such things, I'd like to be able
to mark them.  It doesn't mean it is necessary to be complete at this point or that such a
mark has any effect in the output, but it will save having to look for them again later.

So simply having a style defined would be helpful.  We can decide on exactly how it should
look, and make sure they are all covered, later.  Until then, set a subtle effect for
draft work and no difference from normal text on final output, so user's won't see it.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Misc. Documentation Notes

On 2/6/2011 11:21 PM, John M. Dlugosz wrote:

>  On 2/6/2011 12:58 PM, Barbara Duprey Barb-at-onr.com |LibreOffice Documentation Mailing
> List/Allow to home| wrote:
>> I summarized what the template itself had to say about the use of styles (see Terminology and
>> Styles under "various") -- I noted where I thought new styles looked useful. But the response I
>> got about trying to do this level of update was basically, "Let's get the documents out first,
>> and clean up this kind of detail later." Is that still the case? I don't know if anybody else has
>> looked at that document yet, it will need updating when we focus more on this type of issue.
>>
> I'll peruse what is under "various", if that's where such notes can be found.
>
> My two cents:  If I'm proofing for any reason and notice such things, I'd like to be able to mark
> them.  It doesn't mean it is necessary to be complete at this point or that such a mark has any
> effect in the output, but it will save having to look for them again later.
>
> So simply having a style defined would be helpful.  We can decide on exactly how it should look,
> and make sure they are all covered, later.  Until then, set a subtle effect for draft work and no
> difference from normal text on final output, so user's won't see it.

I agree -- right now, they are generally either OOoEmphasis or OOoStrongEmphasis, but not
consistently. The template itself covers it under Character Styles -- I just summarized in a table
for easier reference. It might be a start. And I've done the same thing sometimes when I happened to
notice that the readability was affected. It's just not something to get really serious about yet,
apparently. Doing it right will certainly be time-consuming -- but there seem  to be at least two of
us who are champing at the bit to do it!

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***