Moderator problem

James Wilde James Wilde

Moderator problem

Not quite sure where to put this, but discuss seems to be a reasonable place.

I keep getting messages for the discuss list to moderate, but when I approve them nothing seems to happen.  I'm reasonably sure that messages I approve for other lists, documentation, users and website turn up a few moments after approval, but I've just added one for discuss, a message from Ian Lynch, which still hasn't shown up.

Can one of the techies take a look at the situation please?

TIA

//James
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Moderator problem

Are you sending with the address registered as moderator?

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

Florian Effenberger wrote
Are you sending with the address registered as moderator?
Yes, Florian.  I have more info.  When I didn't see my own message in discuss (via mail) I sent one to users.   I haven't seen that one either.

Now I decided to log in here via nabble, and here is my message together with your reply.  So for some reason I'm not getting email from discuss or users.

//James
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Moderator problem

Hi,

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-19 22.52:
> Yes, Florian.  I have more info.  When I didn't see my own message in
> discuss (via mail) I sent one to users.   I haven't seen that one either.
>
> Now I decided to log in here via nabble, and here is my message together
> with your reply.  So for some reason I'm not getting email from discuss or
> users.

hm, that's strange. Maybe issues with your mail provider?

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 19, 2010, at 23:06 , Florian Effenberger [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

Hi,

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-19 22.52:
> Yes, Florian.  I have more info.  When I didn't see my own message in
> discuss (via mail) I sent one to users.   I haven't seen that one either.
>
> Now I decided to log in here via nabble, and here is my message together
> with your reply.  So for some reason I'm not getting email from discuss or
> users.

hm, that's strange. Maybe issues with your mail provider?

I've sent them an email to see whether df and libo emails - or rather some of them - are being treated as spam.  I do get rather a lot!

In the meantime I've registered myself with [hidden email] in all three, and maybe you can fix me as moderator with that email address, too.

Thanks a million.

//James

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <<a href="x-msg://63/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1933240&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

View message @ http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Moderator-problem-tp1932020p1933240.html
To unsubscribe from Moderator problem, click here.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 19, 2010, at 23:06 , Florian Effenberger [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

> hm, that's strange. Maybe issues with your mail provider?

Well, if it is, then it's affecting gmail also!

So far no response emails have come to my gmail account, and it's now about ten hours since I sent the subscribe emails.  And no list messages have arrived either.   Since 23:02 last night the only messages which have reached me - to this email address - have been three in the website list, from Carlos Jenkins, Benjamin Horst and Michael Wheatland.  Nothing in any of the other three lists, documentation, discuss and users at all.

Ah, just this second I have received a moderator's email to this address containing a message from Ron Faile which I have approved.  We'll see whether it appears in the list.

Regards,

//James

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-19 23.13:
> In the meantime I've registered myself [hidden email]  in all three, and maybe you can fix me as moderator with that email address, too.

on which lists? Can do so if you tell me which lists you moderate.

Florian

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-20 09.40:
> So far no response emails have come to my gmail account, and it's now about ten hours since I sent the subscribe emails.  And no list messages have arrived either.   Since 23:02 last night the only messages which have reached me - to this email address - have been three in the website list, from Carlos Jenkins, Benjamin Horst and Michael Wheatland.  Nothing in any of the other three lists, documentation, discuss and users at all.

errm... we are on the discuss list, so it seems this mail reached you
very well? ;)

> Ah, just this second I have received a moderator's email to this address containing a message from Ron Faile which I have approved.  We'll see whether it appears in the list.

It looks like, I have it here in my inbox.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 20, 2010, at 13:44 , Florian Effenberger [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

Hi,

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-19 23.13:
> In the meantime I've registered myself <a href="x-msg://42/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1935768&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]  in all three, and maybe you can fix me as moderator with that email address, too.

on which lists? Can do so if you tell me which lists you moderate.

discuss@df
documentation@libo
users@libo
website@libo

But it's no use yet.  My application to join the lists from gmail has still not been replied to.  Do you think the df/libo mail server has blacklisted me?  :(

//James

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Moderator problem

Which address did you use for subscribing?

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-20 16.01:
> discuss@df
> documentation@libo
> users@libo
> website@libo
>
> But it's no use yet.  My application to join the lists from gmail has still not been replied to.  Do you think the df/libo mail server has blacklisted me?:(

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 20, 2010, at 13:45 , Florian Effenberger [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-20 09.40:
> > So far no response emails have come to my gmail account, and it's now about ten hours since I sent the subscribe emails.  And no list messages have arrived either.   Since 23:02 last night the only messages which have reached me - to this email address - have been three in the website list, from Carlos Jenkins, Benjamin Horst and Michael Wheatland.  Nothing in any of the other three lists, documentation, discuss and users at all.
>
> errm... we are on the discuss list, so it seems this mail reached you
> very well? ;)

Yep, it seems that the moderate mails have been coming in and going out, and that I have managed to moderate them.  OTOH I haven't seen Ron Faile's email in my inbox yet!

It also seems that none of the four subscribe messages that I sent last night have resulted in the normal confirmation email.  I have now sent them again and the three to libreoffice.org, for documentation, users and website have finally replied and I have a welcome message.  w fourth, to discuss at df.org has not yet replied, and I have now sent it twice.

> > Ah, just this second I have received a moderator's email to this address containing a message from Ron Faile which I have approved.  We'll see whether it appears in the list.

I have also just received Michael Wheatland's message a few moments ago to discuss.  It came into my old account, and is the first message into discuss since October 18.

Oh shit!  I just found a rule I created to delete all messages from df or libo which have SC (for Steering Committee) in the subject line.  Of course, all messages to diSCuss also have SC in the subject line.  So that accounts for the silence on that list.  I've now disabled that rule, and we'll see what sort of effect that has on the receipt of incoming mail.

Sorry.

But that still doesn't explain why my emails to the lists to join from gmail last night didn't get acknowledged and why my reply to the confirmation message from discuss at df has still not been acknowledged, although I've now sent it twice.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 20, 2010, at 16:36 , Florian Effenberger [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

Which address did you use for subscribing?

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-20 16.01:
> discuss@df
> documentation@libo
> users@libo
> website@libo
>
> But it's no use yet.  My application to join the lists from gmail has still not been replied to.  Do you think the df/libo mail server has blacklisted me?:(

--
Florian Effenberger <<a href="x-msg://72/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1936277&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]>

View message @ http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Moderator-problem-tp1932020p1936277.html

James Wilde wrote on 2010-11-20 19.31:

> [hidden email]

I can confirm you are subscribed to all four lists with this address,
and I just changed the moderator's address to the above.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Moderator problem

Hi, :-)

I'm just curious... what is the moderator's role? do all messages get
filtered by a human? how does a moderator operate?

David Nelson

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Moderator problem

On Nov 23, 2010, at 13:56 , David Nelson [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> I'm just curious... what is the moderator's role? do all messages get
> filtered by a human? how does a moderator operate?

Hi David:

The moderator's role is to approve - or not, of course - messages coming to the list from non-registered addresses.  Many of these are spam, or return receipts, or out-of-office messages, which the list members don't want to see.  Some are from persons with a genuine posting, but not registered, and, at the moment, anyone who posts a message via nabble (the online archives/forum) has to have his message approved for it to also go out via the mailing list.

So no, not all messages are filtered by a human.  Just the ones the machine can't decide on.  Varies from about 10 to maybe 100 on a bad day.  Normally around 20-30.  There are four or five moderators, depending on the list, most in Europe, but one or two, I think, in the US for when Europe is offline.

//James

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
James Wilde-2 James Wilde-2

Re: Moderator problem