Modified website design proposal

Next » 123
Wheatbix Wheatbix

Modified website design proposal

After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
wireframe structure as a base.

Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe

I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
wiki talk page.
The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
host/domain.
Any and all constructive comments are welcomed

Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
described in the steering committee phone conference.

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins

Re: Modified website design proposal

2010/10/31 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>

> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
> wireframe structure as a base.
>
> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
> wiki talk page.
> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
> host/domain.
> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed
>
> Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
> term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
> committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
> this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
> described in the steering committee phone conference.

Wow, I really liked that IA :) Good work.

But I'm missing the "website as a tool" part Actually, I want to implement
http://drupal.org/project/l10n_server for in-website code base translation.
Where we could put it? Contribute?

Again, I really liked it :D

http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-01 00:29, Michael Wheatland a écrit :

> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
> wireframe structure as a base.
>
> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
> wiki talk page.
> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
> host/domain.
> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed
>
> Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
> term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
> committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
> this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
> described in the steering committee phone conference.

Hi Michael:

Thanks for the IA representation. This is a great start.

Marc

epix epix

Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
> wireframe structure as a base.
> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe

404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.

Erich

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

2010.11.01 07:27, Carlos Jenkins rašė:
> Wow, I really liked that IA :) Good work.
>
> But I'm missing the "website as a tool" part Actually, I want to implement
> http://drupal.org/project/l10n_server for in-website code base translation.
> Where we could put it? Contribute?

Hi Carlos,

I must say I have absolutely no experience with Drupal's l10n server, so
my opinion is a pure speculation, but I doubt anything can beat Pootle
in this field.

Also, I'm not so sure that it's desirable to integrate the public
website with the l10n tool.

Regards,
Rimas

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-01 04:59, Erich Christian a écrit :

> Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
>> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
>> wireframe structure as a base.
>> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> 404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.
>
> Erich

Hi Erich, please try again, it comes up fine on my Firefox.

Marc

2010.11.01 11:20, Marc Paré rašė:

> Le 2010-11-01 04:59, Erich Christian a écrit :
>> Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>>> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
>>> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
>>> wireframe structure as a base.
>>> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>>
>> 404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.
>>
>> Erich
>>

> Hi Erich, please try again, it comes up fine on my Firefox.

Actually, I get error 404 too.

Rimas

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-01 05:28, Rimas Kudelis a écrit :

> 2010.11.01 11:20, Marc Paré rašė:
>>>
>>> 404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.
>>>
>>> Erich
>>>

>> Hi Erich, please try again, it comes up fine on my Firefox.
>
> Actually, I get error 404 too.
>
> Rimas

Could you try this?

https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Ad3nEslnhQO_ZGZzZjUzYmpfNzZjd3pycDc1eg&hl=en&authkey=CJ7D4fkE

this is what I got when I surfed to the site.

Marc

2010.11.01 11:32, Marc Paré rašė:

> Le 2010-11-01 05:28, Rimas Kudelis a écrit :
>> 2010.11.01 11:20, Marc Paré rašė:

>>> Hi Erich, please try again, it comes up fine on my Firefox.
>>
>> Actually, I get error 404 too.
>>
>> Rimas
>>

> Could you try this?
>
> https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Ad3nEslnhQO_ZGZzZjUzYmpfNzZjd3pycDc1eg&hl=en&authkey=CJ7D4fkE
>

> this is what I got when I surfed to the site.

This one works, thanks!

Rimas

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Modified website design proposal

Le 2010-11-01 04:59, Erich Christian a écrit :

> Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
>> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
>> wireframe structure as a base.
>> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> 404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.
>
> Erich

Hi Erich, apparently this works:

https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Ad3nEslnhQO_ZGZzZjUzYmpfNzZjd3pycDc1eg&hl=en&authkey=CJ7D4fkE

Cheers

Marc

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Modified website design proposal

Sorry about the shortened URL, google seems to have some DNS issues.
The reason I was using a shortened URL is because I was having trouble
with the long url in the wiki.

So what do people think of the proposal?
I need feedback to ensure I am going in the right direction.

I have added the requirement for internationalisation to the wiki. I
am not an expert at the implementation of multi-lingual sites but I
have set out some clear requirements for manual translation/checking
when quality is required and on demand translation when rapid
availability is required. (I have also suggested some solutions for a
drupal implementation, feel free to add to it)

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland (Wheatbix)
www.wheatland.com.au

epix epix

Am 01.11.2010 10:44, schrieb Marc Paré:
> Le 2010-11-01 04:59, Erich Christian a écrit :
>> Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
>>> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
>>> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
>>> wireframe structure as a base.
>>> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>> 404: Page not found – the page http://goo.gl/qbGe does not exist.
> Hi Erich, apparently this works:
> https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Ad3nEslnhQO_ZGZzZjUzYmpfNzZjd3pycDc1eg&hl=en&authkey=CJ7D4fkE

Thanks Marc :-)

Am 01.11.2010 05:29, schrieb Michael Wheatland:
> [...]
> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
> wiki talk page.
> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
> host/domain.
> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed

Ben is sitting on a ready setup for quite a time waiting in vain for
coworkers to help setting up a working prototype http://drupal.irq1.org/

As we are waiting for a working demo for long and want to have a
teamwork site for the future it wouldn't be too bad imho if some drupal
geeks would show off with a bit of a teamwork mentality slowly... ;-)

my 2 ct
cheers
Erich

drewjensen drewjensen

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 13:59 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
> wireframe structure as a base.
>
> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
> wiki talk page.
> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
> host/domain.
> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed
>
> Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
> term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
> committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
> this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
> described in the steering committee phone conference.

Hi Michael,

thanks for that.

I was looking at slide 14, in particular, and at some thoughts I've been
assembling here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/user-web-space

Your screen 14 looks rather what I was thinking of as
user.libreoffice.org

Wondering about Drupal and support for twitter/soc/media - actually, was
wondering if you have any experience with integrating Drupal and Status
net's micro-blog. For instance this was setup using their default
configurations
http://libreofficevols.status.net

That of course could be hosted on a TDF server, or it could hosted at
status net for TDF - any experience putting something like into a Drupal
site - or comparing what they offer to native/add-on mod support in
Drupal?

Best wishes,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-01 11:54, Erich Christian a écrit :

> Ben is sitting on a ready setup for quite a time waiting in vain for
> coworkers to help setting up a working prototype http://drupal.irq1.org/
>
> As we are waiting for a working demo for long and want to have a
> teamwork site for the future it wouldn't be too bad imho if some drupal
> geeks would show off with a bit of a teamwork mentality slowly... ;-)
>
> my 2 ct
> cheers
> Erich

Thanks for the note Erich. Yes, I think the problem at this time is that
we have a lot of Drupal help an they are all ready to go and a little
anxious. If we could just slow things down and organise.

I think it would be time for Florian to jump in and if he could maybe
suggest a mailist for the Drupal website dev team? We are now at 10 devs
and more have written in with offers of help.

We just need a mailist to better organise.

Marc

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

On Nov 1, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
> wireframe structure as a base.
>
> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>
> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
> wiki talk page.
> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
> host/domain.
> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed
>
> Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
> term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
> committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
> this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
> described in the steering committee phone conference.

Really excellent thinking here, Michael, and I feel like we are on the same page. Strong IA is absolutely key to getting this website right--to making it easily usable and understandable for our "customers" and our community.

Many thanks for stepping in and offering your help, and setting up your Drupal instance. Erich Christian gave me webspace and I installed Drupal and some modules on his server, but I haven't had the time to follow through much more than that. If you are able to do so, I will help however I can.

Do we have an IRC room where we can coordinate in realtime? This might be the most useful way to proceed for at least some conversations (I realize our timezones are very different, though. You're in Australia, and I'm in NYC, and many in this conversation are in EU...)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

On Nov 1, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Benjamin Horst wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>
>> After receiving such a warm welcome from some of the website design
>> team I got to work creating a refined website proposal using Ben's
>> wireframe structure as a base.
>>
>> Please have a look: http://goo.gl/qbGe
>>
>> I would expect that I could set this up in Drupal within 2 weeks if
>> pushed. Any comments that you have you can either voice here or on my
>> wiki talk page.
>> The plan is that I will start to work on this Drupal structure in
>> about 2 days and have an bare bones beta site up and running by the
>> weekend on my own hosting, which can later be transferred to another
>> host/domain.
>> Any and all constructive comments are welcomed
>>
>> Note: I am a drupal CMS only guy, I would love to help with the short
>> term implementation on silverstripe as decided by the steering
>> committee but as with most web developers I have no experience with
>> this CMS. I am only working on the longer term vision that was
>> described in the steering committee phone conference.
>
> Really excellent thinking here, Michael, and I feel like we are on the same page. Strong IA is absolutely key to getting this website right--to making it easily usable and understandable for our "customers" and our community.
>
> Many thanks for stepping in and offering your help, and setting up your Drupal instance. Erich Christian gave me webspace and I installed Drupal and some modules on his server, but I haven't had the time to follow through much more than that. If you are able to do so, I will help however I can.
>
> Do we have an IRC room where we can coordinate in realtime? This might be the most useful way to proceed for at least some conversations (I realize our timezones are very different, though. You're in Australia, and I'm in NYC, and many in this conversation are in EU...)

One other issue: I think separate domains for documentfoundation.org and libreoffice.org makes the most sense. They can be interconnected via main navigation, but it will be much easier to give a short URL like "libreoffice.org" to potential new users, where they'll see a prominent download link immediately (just like "getfirefox.com").

As your (Michael) slideshow explains, the TDF site will be a much more limited content-based site, that won't be important for ordinary users of our software to ever visit.

In addition to my IA draft, did you have any thoughts on my page wireframes? One element from the download page that I picked up from http://getmiro.com/ is to have a newsletter signup right after the user begins downloading. This is a marketing-oriented concept, and we'd have to create a monthly (or bi-weekly, or similar) user-focused email that helps keep us in their minds on a regular basis. Maybe it could include a "tip of the month", a top news item, etc...

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

drewjensen drewjensen

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 13:12 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> In addition to my IA draft, did you have any thoughts on my page
> wireframes? One element from the download page that I picked up from
> http://getmiro.com/ is to have a newsletter signup right after the
> user begins downloading.

Hi Ben, Michael, et al

The idea of some sort of opt-in service is IMO a good idea.

Email newsletter is one, a micro-blog (twitter, identi.ca), Facebook

All would be suitable I think.

Keep in mind that there was a decision to remove registration button
from the splash screen - so this would be, IMO, a very good way to
address this ability to get people to 1) give us a better feel for usage
and 2) get connected to us.

What I'm thinking of here is this opt-in being different from requiring
a registration at the site - but it could be integrated.

For example, accepting OAuth (Twitter) you could offer the ability to
create an account, assume this means supply valid email address, or you
could just click to connect the TDF Twitter account to yours, or join a
micro-blog group.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-01 13:29, Drew Jensen a écrit :

> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 13:12 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
>> In addition to my IA draft, did you have any thoughts on my page
>> wireframes? One element from the download page that I picked up from
>> http://getmiro.com/ is to have a newsletter signup right after the
>> user begins downloading.
>
> Hi Ben, Michael, et al
>
> The idea of some sort of opt-in service is IMO a good idea.
>
> Email newsletter is one, a micro-blog (twitter, identi.ca), Facebook
>
> All would be suitable I think.
>
> Keep in mind that there was a decision to remove registration button
> from the splash screen - so this would be, IMO, a very good way to
> address this ability to get people to 1) give us a better feel for usage
> and 2) get connected to us.
>
> What I'm thinking of here is this opt-in being different from requiring
> a registration at the site - but it could be integrated.
>
> For example, accepting OAuth (Twitter) you could offer the ability to
> create an account, assume this means supply valid email address, or you
> could just click to connect the TDF Twitter account to yours, or join a
> micro-blog group.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Drew

Yes, the registration thingy was pretty well not acceptable from most
members. However, some form of "opting in/out" registration-type seemed
acceptable from the thread. We do need some data for marketing purposes.

Marc

Michael Wheatland-2 Michael Wheatland-2

Re: Modified website design proposal

>As we are waiting for a working demo for long and want to have a
>teamwork site for the future it wouldn't be too bad imho if some drupal
>geeks would show off with a bit of a teamwork mentality slowly... ;-)
>
>my 2 ct
>cheers
>Erich

Erich and Marc,
I understand your apprehension on rushing into things, however I think
the discussion that are going on currently are very constructive and I
think we are rapidly building a better understanding of both the
technical and UI requirements (I am updating the WIKI page when I have
the time).

As for rushing into a Drupal implementation, I think if you talk to
most Drupal developers they find that rapid prototyping works
incredibly well with Drupal as it takes almost no time to setup a very
complex site structure. Also drupal is very flexible, if in the future
you want to restructure things it is easier than other CMSs.

>I think it would be time for Florian to jump in and if he could maybe suggest a mailist for the Drupal website dev team? We are now at >10 devs and more have written in with offers of help.
>
>We just need a mailist to better organise.
>
>Marc

Marc, I believe that if we start to fracture the community we will end
up with people unhappy with the situation.
Also I would like to move away from these mailing lists as soon as
possible. Structured discussions and debate (forums) always results in
a better outcome because everyone talking about the topic have all the
information.

>In addition to my IA draft, did you have any thoughts on my page
> wireframes? One element from the download page that I picked up from
> http://getmiro.com/ is to have a newsletter signup right after the
> user begins downloading.
>Ben Horst

Ben, I love the idea, but this is one area where Drupal falls down,
maybe we can look at 3rd party open product integration?
It would be great to chat to you directly on IRC or similar. If you
would like I can call you to discuss the ideas, I am sometimes working
night shifts so that would work well. (Your phone number was on one of
the posts.)

>I was looking at slide 14, in particular, and at some thoughts I've been
>assembling here:
>
>http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/user-web-space
>Drew

Drew, I have read through your suggestions here but I am having some
trouble getting my head around it.
Are you suggesting a distributed community structure spread across
multiple domains?

All,
Thanks for the feedback so far. I am continuing to integrate these
ideas into both the proposal and the wiki as they flow in.

I am looking for a person who knows their stuff with Drupal theming
and can knock up a very simple Drupal 6.x theme similar to the TDF
website/wiki pages as they currently stand for the rapid prototyping.

drewjensen drewjensen

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 04:33 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> >I was looking at slide 14, in particular, and at some thoughts I've
> been
> >assembling here:
> >
> >http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/user-web-space
> >Drew
>
> Drew, I have read through your suggestions here but I am having some
> trouble getting my head around it.
> Are you suggesting a distributed community structure spread across
> multiple domains?

Distributed community, no - the term Vols is a user group within TDF, or
if you prefer just think of it as the individuals registered with one of
the web services offered that have some special function. For example a
moderator in a forum or an admin in the mciro-blog.

-or-

Substitute TDF for Vols.

----

As for the servers / services being distributed - that depends on how
you mean. Let's say status net is the micro-blog platform and phpBB is
the forum, then I'm just showing that each is a separate service, even
using OpenID each would have a separate registration record.

They could be run as VMs under a single server, or the micro-blog could
be hosted in the status net cloud - [in that case I would make as part
of the roll-out plan a team to find a specific sponsor, but that's most
likely a different question for a different thread]

This could be setup as sub-domains, so forums.libo.org, mblog.libo.org
each would be a landing page but would give access to this one service
(server). [with links to, feeds from, the other services]

The Drupal instance at www.libo.org and user.libo.org would be embedding
services from these two servers.

In the other view, Drupal, Status Net and phpBB are all on the same
server, Drupal is managing the whole shebang.

I suppose that is what I was pondering - one way vs the other.

Best,

Drew