Modify a dot file with writer

Maxime de Roucy Maxime de Roucy

Modify a dot file with writer

Hello

I have a client that want to modify a .dot file (Microsoft Word model
file) with Writer.
He don't want to convert it but to modify it : open, modify and save
as .dot file.
For me what he want is impossible, but I want to be sure before telling
him.

Could you confirm (or invalide) me that modifying .dot file in writer is
impossible ?

Thank you in advance.

--
Maxime de Roucy
Groupe LINAGORA - OSSA

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Modify a dot file with writer

Hi Maxime,

Maxime de Roucy wrote (20-12-11 18:53)

> Could you confirm (or invalide) me that modifying .dot file in writer is
> impossible ?

Never tried it before, but indeed: no .dot filter for writing a file.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Tom Tom

Re: Modify a dot file with writer

Hi :)
Interesting.  It is possible to Save As a template for Excel (xlt) and for the presentation one but just not for Word.

It is possible to save as an OpenDocument Format template and MS Office 2007 and 2010 claims to be able to read ODFs.  Sadly they can only read the older versions.  To make LO use the older formats try

Tools - Options - +Load/Save - General

In the middle change the drop-down from
"1.2 Extended (recommended)" to
"1.0/1.1"
It might work but it might not.  It's still very possible that MS Office might move pictures/logos around a bit and perhaps other things too.

So, the answer really is no imo.

> Could you confirm (or invalide) me that modifying .dot file in writer is
> impossible ?

Never tried it before, but indeed: no .dot filter for writing a file.

Regards,

--  - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Maxime de Roucy Maxime de Roucy

Re: Modify a dot file with writer

Thanks a lot for your help.

I didn't think about making Microsoft Word use .ott files.
That's a good idea !

thanks again.

--
Maxime de Roucy
Groupe LINAGORA - OSSA

Tom Tom

Re: Modify a dot file with writer

Hi :)
Gary Schnabl  from the documentation team pointed out a hackerish type cheating  way that i really liked.

"I simply changed the file extension in the filename using the O/S afterward from DOC to DOT when porting "DOT" files from Writer. Those LO "DOT" files seemed to work OK.

Gary"

It feels a bit like changing the file-ending of a DocX or Odt into .Zip and then poking around inside there.  I love that sort of thing especially if it's really easy.  Proper hacking and messing with real code is too much hard work imo but html and xml is fun.  File-endings is even easier.
Jack Jack

Maxime de Roucy wrote:
> I have a client that want to modify a .dot file (Microsoft Word model
> file) with Writer.
> He don't want to convert it but to modify it : open, modify and save
> as .dot file.

As far as I know, there is no difference between a .dot and a .doc
file (except the extension).  I believe MS Word just treats a .dot
file as a template and a .doc file as a document.  So you should be
able to work with a .doc and just change the file extension after
you've saved.

Regards
Stephan