My experience: Gerrit from a casual contributors view

spaetz spaetz

My experience: Gerrit from a casual contributors view

Hi all, I just pushed my first test patch to gerrit and would like to
share my steps and issues:

1) Registered account using openid: painless. Being able to use your
   gmail/yahoo/launchpad account is a boon. Not another random password :)
   Added ssh key. This was an easy process.

2) Failed to find out if I have to pull from the gerrit git repository
   somehow, no docs on this, so I started with my FDO git repo.

3) Created a patch that I want to push

4) This is the documentation on how to push: essentially it says:
   git push logerrit HEAD:refs/for/master

   So I did :-)

4a) First difficulty: It complained that the capitalization of my email
  address is different from the registered email address and I were not
  allowed to push. ARRG :). I don't want to change my push email
  address, so I tried to change the registered email address, which was
  a bit of a pain, and it required logout/login to actually work (I
  think).

5) Pushed again: Hurray, the patch is at
   https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/231/ now. Waiting for reviews :-)

That should have been it from a contributors point of view, right? What
happens after reviewer +1'd it? Do I have to do something or who would
push to master?

Lastly, I have a very hard time remembering to push to refs/for/master
and know I would constantly forget this. So I wanted to automated this
that when I do: "git push gerrit", the local master branch would be
pushed automatically as ref/for/master. I did this by adding:

push = refs/heads/master:refs/for/master

to .git/config:[remote "gerrit"]. A "git push gerrit" on the master
branch will now push the patch into the review queue.

Thanks,
Sebastian

P.S. core is still described as "test repo that is going to be
discarded" in gerrit. Is it? Can I push patches there or is it going to
be dropped again?
[...]

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: My experience: Gerrit from a casual contributors view

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:34:23PM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> Hi all, I just pushed my first test patch to gerrit and would like to
> share my steps and issues:
>
> 1) Registered account using openid: painless. Being able to use your
>    gmail/yahoo/launchpad account is a boon. Not another random password :)
>    Added ssh key. This was an easy process.

Great!

> 2) Failed to find out if I have to pull from the gerrit git repository
>    somehow, no docs on this, so I started with my FDO git repo.

Yes, I understand that this is currently somewhat confusing. It will be a lot
less confusing when fd.o is a read-only mirror and all pushes (even direct ones
bypassing review) go to gerrit.libreoffice.org.

Yuck. Might be worth a bug report at http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/list
.
> 5) Pushed again: Hurray, the patch is at
>    https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/231/ now. Waiting for reviews :-)

Looking good, commented, pushed to fd.o

> That should have been it from a contributors point of view, right?

Right.

> What happens after reviewer +1'd it? Do I have to do something or who would
> push to master?

The submitter doesnt have to do anything (unless there is a negative feedback).
Reviewer have to take it from there.

;) see current work at https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/229/

> P.S. core is still described as "test repo that is going to be
> discarded" in gerrit.

updated. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Best,

Bjoern