Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Next » 123
Samuel Mehrbrodt Samuel Mehrbrodt

Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Today there was an announcement that KOffice got a new name (Calligra)
and they also renamed some of the Applications. "KWord" became "Words",
"KSpread" became "Tables" and "KPresenter" was renamed to "Stages".

I was wondering whether such a name change has been considered for the
LibreOffice Applications. The point is that I don't really like the
current names. I'm not a Name Designer, but Writer, Calc and Impress
don't really sound good in my ears and I would even say that most people
using OpenOffice would not know the names of the Applications they are
using, only that it's OpenOffice.

If LibreOffice changed the names of the Applications shipping, that
might also help people to differentiate between OpenOffice and
LibreOffice in Future.

Here a comparison of the names of text processing, spreadsheet and
presentation program of six Office Suites:

MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
Calligra(former KOffice): Words, Tables, Stages
Softmaker Office: Textmaker, Planmaker, Presentations
Corel WordPerfect Office: WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Presentations
OpenOffice.org: Writer, Calc, Impress

I think MS Office, iWork and now Calligra have the best names for their
applications. It's easy to spell and easy to remember.
I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking about changing names
for LibreOffice applications.

Samuel M.

Eduardo Moreno Eduardo Moreno

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

El 07/12/10 10:20, Samuel Mehrbrodt escribió:

> Today there was an announcement that KOffice got a new name (Calligra)
> and they also renamed some of the Applications. "KWord" became "Words",
> "KSpread" became "Tables" and "KPresenter" was renamed to "Stages".
>
> I was wondering whether such a name change has been considered for the
> LibreOffice Applications. The point is that I don't really like the
> current names. I'm not a Name Designer, but Writer, Calc and Impress
> don't really sound good in my ears and I would even say that most people
> using OpenOffice would not know the names of the Applications they are
> using, only that it's OpenOffice.
>
> If LibreOffice changed the names of the Applications shipping, that
> might also help people to differentiate between OpenOffice and
> LibreOffice in Future.
>
> Here a comparison of the names of text processing, spreadsheet and
> presentation program of six Office Suites:
>
> MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
> Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
> Calligra(former KOffice): Words, Tables, Stages
> Softmaker Office: Textmaker, Planmaker, Presentations
> Corel WordPerfect Office: WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Presentations
> OpenOffice.org: Writer, Calc, Impress
>
> I think MS Office, iWork and now Calligra have the best names for their
> applications. It's easy to spell and easy to remember.
> I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking about changing names
> for LibreOffice applications.
>
> Samuel M.

I like the names of the applications.

--
Mi Office genera: Seguridad, Confianza y Ahorro

J. Eduardo Moreno
TOKONHU de México
044 55 2748 4840

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Frank Esposito Frank Esposito

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

I think the present names are good, but I could also see a need to
differentiate from OO, especially if the plan is to rewrite LO and
take a very different path, thus making it a significantly different
application than its parent OO.

Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey

On 12/7/2010 10:40 AM, Eduardo Moreno wrote:

> El 07/12/10 10:20, Samuel Mehrbrodt escribió:
>> Today there was an announcement that KOffice got a new name (Calligra)
>> and they also renamed some of the Applications. "KWord" became "Words",
>> "KSpread" became "Tables" and "KPresenter" was renamed to "Stages".
>>
>> I was wondering whether such a name change has been considered for the
>> LibreOffice Applications. The point is that I don't really like the
>> current names. I'm not a Name Designer, but Writer, Calc and Impress
>> don't really sound good in my ears and I would even say that most people
>> using OpenOffice would not know the names of the Applications they are
>> using, only that it's OpenOffice.
>>
>> If LibreOffice changed the names of the Applications shipping, that
>> might also help people to differentiate between OpenOffice and
>> LibreOffice in Future.
>>
>> Here a comparison of the names of text processing, spreadsheet and
>> presentation program of six Office Suites:
>>
>> MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
>> Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
>> Calligra(former KOffice): Words, Tables, Stages
>> Softmaker Office: Textmaker, Planmaker, Presentations
>> Corel WordPerfect Office: WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Presentations
>> OpenOffice.org: Writer, Calc, Impress
>>
>> I think MS Office, iWork and now Calligra have the best names for their
>> applications. It's easy to spell and easy to remember.
>> I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking about changing names
>> for LibreOffice applications.
>>
>> Samuel M.
>>

> I like the names of the applications.

I think what we have is fine -- maybe Write for Writer (the others are verbs, and a lot of users
seem to think of it like that) and Present for Impress (seems more direct). PS -- I think some of
the ones listed above are pretty awful, especially the Calligra Tables and Stages,

Ledger Consulting Ledger Consulting

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

I think Frank has a good point.On 12/7/2010 10:55 AM, Frank Esposito wrote:I think the present names are good, but I could also see a need to
Carl Symons Carl Symons

Rainer Bielefeld Rainer Bielefeld

Frank Esposito schrieb:
> I think the present names are good, but I could also see a need to
> differentiate from OO,

+1

I would leave the name-core, but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe
(LWRITER.EXEm ...)

Regards

Rainer

mirek2 mirek2

2010/12/7 Samuel Mehrbrodt <[hidden email]>

> Today there was an announcement that KOffice got a new name (Calligra)
> and they also renamed some of the Applications. "KWord" became "Words",
> "KSpread" became "Tables" and "KPresenter" was renamed to "Stages".
>
> I was wondering whether such a name change has been considered for the
> LibreOffice Applications. The point is that I don't really like the
> current names. I'm not a Name Designer, but Writer, Calc and Impress
> don't really sound good in my ears and I would even say that most people
> using OpenOffice would not know the names of the Applications they are
> using, only that it's OpenOffice.
>
> If LibreOffice changed the names of the Applications shipping, that
> might also help people to differentiate between OpenOffice and
> LibreOffice in Future.
>
> Here a comparison of the names of text processing, spreadsheet and
> presentation program of six Office Suites:
>
> MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
> Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
> Calligra(former KOffice): Words, Tables, Stages
> Softmaker Office: Textmaker, Planmaker, Presentations
> Corel WordPerfect Office: WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Presentations
> OpenOffice.org: Writer, Calc, Impress
>
> I think MS Office, iWork and now Calligra have the best names for their
> applications. It's easy to spell and easy to remember.
> I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking about changing names
> for LibreOffice applications.

+1
I also don't like the current names much either. IMHO, they don't sound very
good and they don't describe the apps well either. "Calc" makes the app
sound like it's an advanced calculator, not a spreadsheet app, "Impress" is
too generic, and "Writer" sounds like a specialized tool for writers. I do
like the names for "Draw", "Base", and "Formula", though.

> Samuel M.

Gérard Fargeot Gérard Fargeot

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Rainer Bielefeld wrote
Frank Esposito schrieb:
> I think the present names are good, but I could also see a need to
> differentiate from OO,

+1
+2
I would leave the name-core, but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe
(LWRITER.EXEm ...)

Regards

Rainer
+1

S replaces by L for the .exe names will be pretty good.

Gérard

Rainer Bielefeld schrieb:
> [...]  but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe (LWRITER.EXEm ...)

But if that might cause any trouble (for example Extensions referencing
to current names of .exe files) I would leave all as it is.

Rainer

Christophe Strobbe Christophe Strobbe

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Hi,

At 18:50 7/12/2010, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>Rainer Bielefeld schrieb:
> > [...]  but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe (LWRITER.EXEm ...)
>
>But if that might cause any trouble (for example Extensions
>referencing to current names of .exe files) I would leave all as it is.

I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be
released in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on
SourceForge) currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to
preserve compatibility.

With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data
that confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be
improved? (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress;
I don't see a problem for the others.)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442

Inge Wallin Inge Wallin

On Tuesday, December 07, 2010 17:20:16 Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote:

> Today there was an announcement that KOffice got a new name (Calligra)
> and they also renamed some of the Applications. "KWord" became "Words",
> "KSpread" became "Tables" and "KPresenter" was renamed to "Stages".
>
> I was wondering whether such a name change has been considered for the
> LibreOffice Applications. The point is that I don't really like the
> current names. I'm not a Name Designer, but Writer, Calc and Impress
> don't really sound good in my ears and I would even say that most people
> using OpenOffice would not know the names of the Applications they are
> using, only that it's OpenOffice.
>
> If LibreOffice changed the names of the Applications shipping, that
> might also help people to differentiate between OpenOffice and
> LibreOffice in Future.
>
> Here a comparison of the names of text processing, spreadsheet and
> presentation program of six Office Suites:
>
> MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
> Apple iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
> Calligra(former KOffice): Words, Tables, Stages

Stage, not Stages :-)

Zaphod Feeblejocks Zaphod Feeblejocks

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

> +1
> I also don't like the current names much either. IMHO, they don't sound very
> good and they don't describe the apps well either. "Calc" makes the app
> sound like it's an advanced calculator, not a spreadsheet app, "Impress" is
> too generic, and "Writer" sounds like a specialized tool for writers. I do
> like the names for "Draw", "Base", and "Formula", though.

A fair point, but rebranding doesn't always help - it can cause confusion.  Plenty of programs
use names that are well-known, whether they always make sense or not.

e.g

'Word' does more than just words.
'WordPerfect' can make mistakes.
'WordPro' can be used by amateurs too.

'Excel' does not always excel.
'1-2-3' can manage big numbers too.

'PowerPoint' has nothing to do with AC electrical outlets.

'Photoshop' is about more than photographs.
'GIMP' can be used by normal people too.
'Paint.NET' does not require a brush.

'Firefox' has nothing to do with burning wild mammals.
'Chrome' is not an element.

'Scribus' is not just for midieval monks who copy manuscripts.
'Page Maker' isn't just for people who manufacture paper.

'Windows' isn't made of glass.
'Unix' can be used by anyone, not just eunuchs.

Zaphod Feeblejocks Zaphod Feeblejocks

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

> With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data
> that confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be
> improved? (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress;
> I don't see a problem for the others.)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-07 13:12, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> At 18:50 7/12/2010, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>> Rainer Bielefeld schrieb:
>> > [...] but switch from Sxxx.exe to Lxxx.exe (LWRITER.EXEm ...)
>>
>> But if that might cause any trouble (for example Extensions
>> referencing to current names of .exe files) I would leave all as it is.
>
> I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
> extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be released
> in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on SourceForge)
> currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to preserve compatibility.
>
> With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data that
> confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be improved?
> (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress; I don't see
> a problem for the others.)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe

I don't believe that any of this has been discussed as the SC and most
communities see the move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as a natural
outcome of moving to a "foundation" organisation. We had originally
wanted to have the use of the "OpenOffice" name.

I can tell you from personal experience, over many years, with using
OpenOffice in the classroom and with students at home, "Writer" and
"Calc" are easily recognisable; "Impress" is not.

We should perhaps consider that Oracle has decided to go on with
OpenOffice and is using the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names. Will
people associate these names more with OpenOffice? Do these names
conjure up the image of OOo? I would suspect yes. I can already imagine
that people will be asking me if I am talking about OpenOffice or
LibreOffice (when I use the module names)?

We could also see this as somewhat of a standoff, do we own the moral or
even legal rights to use the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names or
does OpenOffice?

If we are to change, the names should be very descriptive and concise.
And, as Christophe points out, the compatibility of extensions will have
to be considered.

Maybe now is not the time to change names? We could better plan for a
later release if we do?

Just my thoughts.

Marc

mirek2 mirek2

2010/12/7 Marc Paré <[hidden email]>

> Le 2010-12-07 13:12, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :
>
>  Hi,

>>> But if that might cause any trouble (for example Extensions
>>> referencing to current names of .exe files) I would leave all as it is.
>>>

>> I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
>> extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be released
>> in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on SourceForge)
>> currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to preserve
>> compatibility.
>>
>> With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data that
>> confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be improved?
>> (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress; I don't see
>> a problem for the others.)
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Christophe
>>

> I don't believe that any of this has been discussed as the SC and most
> communities see the move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as a natural outcome
> of moving to a "foundation" organisation. We had originally wanted to have
> the use of the "OpenOffice" name.
>
> I can tell you from personal experience, over many years, with using
> OpenOffice in the classroom and with students at home, "Writer" and "Calc"
> are easily recognisable; "Impress" is not.
>
> We should perhaps consider that Oracle has decided to go on with OpenOffice
> and is using the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names. Will people associate
> these names more with OpenOffice? Do these names conjure up the image of
> OOo? I would suspect yes. I can already imagine that people will be asking
> me if I am talking about OpenOffice or LibreOffice (when I use the module
> names)?
>
> We could also see this as somewhat of a standoff, do we own the moral or
> even legal rights to use the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names or does
> OpenOffice?
>
> If we are to change, the names should be very descriptive and concise. And,
> as Christophe points out, the compatibility of extensions will have to be
> considered.
>
> Maybe now is not the time to change names? We could better plan for a later
> release if we do?

I'd definitely wait a while before changing names. I mean, right now,
LibreOffice is basically the same piece of software as OpenOffice.org, just
with a few patches and different branding. Even the version numbers are the
same.
If LibreOffice is serious about really separating from the OOo codebase and
going its own way, then it's inevitable that, in the future, extensions for
one won't necessarily work with the other.

When the two are different enough, that'll be the time for changing
application names.

Sonic4Spuds Sonic4Spuds

On 12/07/2010 02:23 PM, Mirek M. wrote:

> 2010/12/7 Marc Paré<[hidden email]>
>
>> Le 2010-12-07 13:12, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :
>>
>>   Hi,

>>> I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
>>> extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be released
>>> in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on SourceForge)
>>> currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to preserve
>>> compatibility.
>>>
>>> With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data that
>>> confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be improved?
>>> (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress; I don't see
>>> a problem for the others.)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Christophe
>>>

>> I don't believe that any of this has been discussed as the SC and most
>> communities see the move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as a natural outcome
>> of moving to a "foundation" organisation. We had originally wanted to have
>> the use of the "OpenOffice" name.
>>
>> I can tell you from personal experience, over many years, with using
>> OpenOffice in the classroom and with students at home, "Writer" and "Calc"
>> are easily recognisable; "Impress" is not.
>>
>> We should perhaps consider that Oracle has decided to go on with OpenOffice
>> and is using the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names. Will people associate
>> these names more with OpenOffice? Do these names conjure up the image of
>> OOo? I would suspect yes. I can already imagine that people will be asking
>> me if I am talking about OpenOffice or LibreOffice (when I use the module
>> names)?
>>
>> We could also see this as somewhat of a standoff, do we own the moral or
>> even legal rights to use the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names or does
>> OpenOffice?
>>
>> If we are to change, the names should be very descriptive and concise. And,
>> as Christophe points out, the compatibility of extensions will have to be
>> considered.
>>
>> Maybe now is not the time to change names? We could better plan for a later
>> release if we do?
>>
> I'd definitely wait a while before changing names. I mean, right now,
> LibreOffice is basically the same piece of software as OpenOffice.org, just
> with a few patches and different branding. Even the version numbers are the
> same.
> If LibreOffice is serious about really separating from the OOo codebase and
> going its own way, then it's inevitable that, in the future, extensions for
> one won't necessarily work with the other.
>
> When the two are different enough, that'll be the time for changing
> application names.
>
>> Just my thoughts.
>>
>> Marc

>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

A name change would be beneficial for not only the point of view of
differentiation and recognisability but also from a marketing and
branding point of view. If a name change occurs purely subjective names
should be avoided (such as Flow for the word app), but purely
descriptive names could be equally bad.

On the point of extension compatibility, I am no programmer but I would
think that simlinks could be created that would provide compatibility.
Or the user side of things could be changed and leave the executables
names the same as current.

$0.02

Am Dienstag, den 07.12.2010, 21:23 +0100 schrieb Mirek M.:

> 2010/12/7 Marc Paré <[hidden email]>
>
> > Le 2010-12-07 13:12, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :
> >
> >  Hi,

> >> I agree. I am involved in the development of three OpenOffice.org
> >> extensions: odt2daisy, odt2braille and a third one that will be released
> >> in early 2011. odt2daisy and odt2braille (both available on SourceForge)
> >> currently work with LibreOffice and I would like to preserve
> >> compatibility.
> >>
> >> With regard to the original question: are there any surveys or data that
> >> confirm that the names for Writer, Calc and Impress need to be improved?
> >> (I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Impress; I don't see
> >> a problem for the others.)
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Christophe
> >>

> > I don't believe that any of this has been discussed as the SC and most
> > communities see the move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as a natural outcome
> > of moving to a "foundation" organisation. We had originally wanted to have
> > the use of the "OpenOffice" name.
> >
> > I can tell you from personal experience, over many years, with using
> > OpenOffice in the classroom and with students at home, "Writer" and "Calc"
> > are easily recognisable; "Impress" is not.
> >
> > We should perhaps consider that Oracle has decided to go on with OpenOffice
> > and is using the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names. Will people associate
> > these names more with OpenOffice? Do these names conjure up the image of
> > OOo? I would suspect yes. I can already imagine that people will be asking
> > me if I am talking about OpenOffice or LibreOffice (when I use the module
> > names)?
> >
> > We could also see this as somewhat of a standoff, do we own the moral or
> > even legal rights to use the "Writer", "Calc" and "Impress" names or does
> > OpenOffice?
> >
> > If we are to change, the names should be very descriptive and concise. And,
> > as Christophe points out, the compatibility of extensions will have to be
> > considered.
> >
> > Maybe now is not the time to change names? We could better plan for a later
> > release if we do?
> >

> I'd definitely wait a while before changing names. I mean, right now,
> LibreOffice is basically the same piece of software as OpenOffice.org, just
> with a few patches and different branding. Even the version numbers are the
> same.
> If LibreOffice is serious about really separating from the OOo codebase and
> going its own way, then it's inevitable that, in the future, extensions for
> one won't necessarily work with the other.
>
> When the two are different enough, that'll be the time for changing
> application names.

I am not very experienced with these things, but I think that it would
be better to have all name changes now than "sometime in the future". LO
is a Fork and I think it can have its own names.

I think from a user's view it is confusing that it is no more
OpenOffice, but LibreOffice they use. Then maybe they get used to that
name after some time and then there is another name change, even of the
applications they use every day.
So I think a name change should be done now and not after some releases.

Maybe we can keep the name "Writer", but I would change Impress and
Calc. When I used OpenOffice first, I was always confused by Calc and
Formula, I just wanted Excel. I always started Formula, because Calc
sounded like Calculator and that's not a spreadsheet (I am German btw).

Samuel M.

> > Just my thoughts.
> >
> > Marc
> >

> > --
> > *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Philippe.VIENT Philippe.VIENT

Re: Name Change for LibreOffice Applications

Accusé de réception

   Votre      Re: [tdf-discuss] Name Change for LibreOffice Applications
   document
   :

   a été      [hidden email]
   reçu par