Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

charles meyer charles meyer

Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

Hi,

I searched the Libre Writer User Manual but didn't find the equivalent to
Narrow Margins option you have in MS Word 2016.

In that Word window you can make the margins all very narrow AND do a
custom where I can make the top/bottom margins .20.

All I can see in Writer is Format > Page Style and make the t/b margonms
.20.

That narrow option in Word allows me to fit content all on less pages when
copied from a Web site or forum.

Thanks.

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

In the page style you can modify the left and right margins in the
same way as you modify the top and bottom margins. Does that not do
what you want?

- Robert

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020, charles meyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched the Libre Writer User Manual but didn't find the equivalent to
> Narrow Margins option you have in MS Word 2016.
>
> In that Word window you can make the margins all very narrow AND do a
> custom where I can make the top/bottom margins .20.
>
> All I can see in Writer is Format > Page Style and make the t/b margonms
> .20.
>
> That narrow option in Word allows me to fit content all on less pages when
> copied from a Web site or forum.
>
> Thanks.

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

Den 30.08.2020 20:12, skreiv Robert Funnell:
> In the page style you can modify the left and right margins in the
> same way as you modify the top and bottom margins. Does that not do
> what you want?

Or perhaps using the arrows (triangles) on the ruler just below the tool
lines on top of the side is what you are looking for. Select the text
and slide the arrows on the ruler to where you want the left or right
margins.
I am not using MS Word (although I am using Windows) so perhaps I
misunderstood your question.

Kolbjørn

> - Robert
>

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020, charles meyer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I searched the Libre Writer User Manual but didn't find the
>> equivalent to
>> Narrow Margins option you have in MS Word 2016.
>>
>> In that Word window you can make the margins all very narrow AND do a
>> custom where I can make the top/bottom margins .20.
>>
>> All I can see in Writer is Format > Page Style and make the t/b margonms
>> .20.
>>
>> That narrow option in Word allows me to fit content all on less pages
>> when
>> copied from a Web site or forum.
>>
>> Thanks.

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 21:07:38 +0200
Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> dijo:

>Den 30.08.2020 20:12, skreiv Robert Funnell:
>> In the page style you can modify the left and right margins in the
>> same way as you modify the top and bottom margins. Does that not do
>> what you want?
>
>Or perhaps using the arrows (triangles) on the ruler just below the
>tool lines on top of the side is what you are looking for. Select the
>text and slide the arrows on the ruler to where you want the left or
>right margins.
>I am not using MS Word (although I am using Windows) so perhaps I
>misunderstood your question.

And once you have a blank page with the margins you want, save it as a
page style. Now it's just one click to apply it. Or you can apply a
keyboard shortcut to apply the page style.

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On 8/30/20 15:22, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 21:07:38 +0200
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
>> Den 30.08.2020 20:12, skreiv Robert Funnell:
>>> In the page style you can modify the left and right margins in the
>>> same way as you modify the top and bottom margins. Does that not do
>>> what you want?
>> Or perhaps using the arrows (triangles) on the ruler just below the
>> tool lines on top of the side is what you are looking for. Select the
>> text and slide the arrows on the ruler to where you want the left or
>> right margins.
>> I am not using MS Word (although I am using Windows) so perhaps I
>> misunderstood your question.
> And once you have a blank page with the margins you want, save it as a
> page style. Now it's just one click to apply it. Or you can apply a
> keyboard shortcut to apply the page style.

John: Are you talking about saving that blank page with the narrow
margins set as a template? This way, double clicking this template will
automatically open a new document with the narrow margins.

Dan

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: Narrow equivalent in margins in Writer

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:55:19 -0400
Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> dijo:

>> And once you have a blank page with the margins you want, save it as
>> a page style. Now it's just one click to apply it. Or you can apply a
>> keyboard shortcut to apply the page style.

>John: Are you talking about saving that blank page with the narrow
>margins set as a template? This way, double clicking this template
>will automatically open a new document with the narrow margins.

I really meant that you should save it as a page style. In my LO
Writer styles palette I have character styles, paragraph styles, frame
styles, and page styles. And I misspoke - it's really two clicks to
apply it, because first you have to click to switch from paragraph
styles (the default view) to page styles.

But you could just as easily do it with a template. I just prefer styles
because LO templates confuse me.