Navigation in Documents

Dennis E. Hamilton Dennis E. Hamilton

Navigation in Documents

When I saw Jean's comments, below, it brought to mind a serous pet peeve I
have with the OpenOffice-legacy interfaces.

Although one can follow links from tables of content and also follow
cross-reference links within documents, there is no provision for retracing
my way backwards through a progression of followed links.  That is, the
counterparts of the Browser forward/back link-path navigation are
unavailable.  In my work with specifications published in ODF, this is a
very serious limitation.

That is such a serious limitation that I will export an ODF document to PDF
and take advantage of the fact that the Acrobat Reader does provide
link-path-history back and forward navigation.

Buttons for forward/back are not on the default Acrobat Reader toolbar, at
least not on Windows, but they are there and can be added to the toolbar
using the available customization dialogs.  Out of curiosity, I just found
out where to add the same functions to my QuickStart toolbar in Microsoft
Word 2013, where they work find in OpenDocument Text (.odt) documents too.
Have I missed these in LibreOffice somewhere?

 - Dennis

PS: I am submitting an enhancement request at Apache OpenOffice for this
too.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Navigation in Documents

On 03/02/2013, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Buttons for forward/back are not on the default Acrobat Reader toolbar, at
> least not on Windows, but they are there and can be added to the toolbar
> using the available customization dialogs.  Out of curiosity, I just found
> out where to add the same functions to my QuickStart toolbar in Microsoft
> Word 2013, where they work find in OpenDocument Text (.odt) documents too.
> Have I missed these in LibreOffice somewhere?

Agree. The navigation dialogue window seems to allow navigation of a
document via various elements (page, section, graphics, etc., but not
(internet) hyperlinks nor cross-references.