Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

I just thought I’d share a neat feature I recently discovered in Writer.

The ability to set font sizes in styles as a percentage of the font size of a base style.

For example, I often set documents in an 11 point font such as Palatino. My headings are then at 14 or 16 points. But, if I decide to switch to Times New Roman, I’ll increase my base font to 12 points. Then I have to go into my heading styles and increase them accordingly. But...

I’ve learned I can set my heading styles as a percentage of my base style. In the font size dialog box, rather than setting it at 14 points, I’ll set it at  125%. Then, whenever I change the size of my base font, my heading styles automatically change based on the percentage. This technique saves a lot of effort when changing font sizes in a document.

The key is to know what style is used as the base style for the heading styles.

Virgil
TomD TomD

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

Hi :)
Styles rock!!! :))

I didn't know they could go that extreme and usually try to switch-off
the relative font-sizes because the idea freaks me out.  It feels like
everything goes outside of my direct control!  However that means i
would have to adjust each heading-level individually which now seems
really dumb.  If i have a case where i don't like the headings i could
just re-adjust just the one rather than always having to do them all!
lqtm.  I feel i've been being a bit of a moron tbh

On 13 February 2014 00:32, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just thought I'd share a neat feature I recently discovered in Writer.
>
> The ability to set font sizes in styles as a percentage of the font size of a base style.
>
> For example, I often set documents in an 11 point font such as Palatino. My headings are then at 14 or 16 points. But, if I decide to switch to Times New Roman, I'll increase my base font to 12 points. Then I have to go into my heading styles and increase them accordingly. But...
>
> I've learned I can set my heading styles as a percentage of my base style. In the font size dialog box, rather than setting it at 14 points, I'll set it at  125%. Then, whenever I change the size of my base font, my heading styles automatically change based on the percentage. This technique saves a lot of effort when changing font sizes in a document.
>
> The key is to know what style is used as the base style for the heading styles.
>
> Virgil

Pedro Pedro

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

Hi Virgil, all

Virgil Arrington wrote
I just thought I’d share a neat feature I recently discovered in Writer.

The ability to set font sizes in styles as a percentage of the font size of a base style.
Thank you for sharing. It is a great idea to share this kind of positive information.

In the particular case of your today's tip, I think this is the kind of features that could convince more users that styles are actually useful and time saving ;)

I have a suggestion for you: why don't you also add this to the knowledge base stored in the Ask LibreOffice platform?

You can create a question and then answer it yourself ;)

Kind regards,
Pedro

Tom wrote:

>I didn't know they could go that extreme and usually try to switch-off
>the relative font-sizes because the idea freaks me out.  It feels like
>everything goes outside of my direct control!

Ahh, control. That's one of the reasons I like LO; it gives me control over
*everything*. By comparison, when I've used LaTeX, I've been overcome by the
beautiful results, but the trade-off is that I lose control.

But, one of the things I've always liked about LaTeX is that, by changing
one parameter, like the base font size, everything else automatically
changes (heading sizes, page margins, ... everything). I was thrilled to
find out I had a similar ability with LO's relative font size controls.

Just another way styles provide even *more* control with fewer steps.

Virgil

m.a.riosv m.a.riosv

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

I think it is a very old option, from Ooo times, that we can find out in the help.

LibreOffice help

Maybe we need to recover the habit of read the manuals. I know it was easier, when long time ago, programs came with a heavy book.
Miguel Ángel.
TomD TomD

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

Hi :)
I think some people here do read the manuals
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

But i agree that it might be good for certain people (mostly thinking
about me tbh) to dip in and read-up even on just 1 feature per week or
month or however long.  Actually part of the reason i joined this list
was because i hoped to learn how to solve issues that people find
problematic in the here&now and maybe learn a few tricks or quirks.
Kinda a cheats way of learning without trying.  However i really need
to knuckle down to some proper reading at some point.

Perhaps we could have a quick little weekly "gem" (or "find") maybe
from a different person each time (ish)? but i think some of the
various blogs are trying to do that already.  Would it be
"duplication" to do something similar on this list or would it be just
a good thing to try out for a bit because we handle things differently
here?

Ian Whitfield Ian Whitfield

On 02/13/2014 08:04 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> I think some people here do read the manuals
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
>
> But i agree that it might be good for certain people (mostly thinking
> about me tbh) to dip in and read-up even on just 1 feature per week or
> month or however long.  Actually part of the reason i joined this list
> was because i hoped to learn how to solve issues that people find
> problematic in the here&now and maybe learn a few tricks or quirks.
> Kinda a cheats way of learning without trying.  However i really need
> to knuckle down to some proper reading at some point.
>
> Perhaps we could have a quick little weekly "gem" (or "find") maybe
> from a different person each time (ish)? but i think some of the
> various blogs are trying to do that already.  Would it be
> "duplication" to do something similar on this list or would it be just
> a good thing to try out for a bit because we handle things differently
> here?

Advice of the week Tom .... RTFM!!!!  LOL!!

IanW
Pretoria RSA

nabbler nabbler

On 13/02/2014, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahh, control. That's one of the reasons I like LO; it gives me control over
>
> *everything*. By comparison, when I've used LaTeX, I've been overcome by the

Not convinced.

> beautiful results, but the trade-off is that I lose control.

What control is lost in latex?

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

e-letter wrote,

>What control is lost in latex?

Fair question, and I probably should have worded it better. Yes, with LaTeX,
you can control everything, but (at least in my experience) the learning
curve to gain that control can be daunting. The GUI of LyX makes things
easier, but even then, if you want total control, you're mixing in raw TeX
commands with options selected from a menu, all the while throwing in a long
list of preamble commands, all of which can take a long time to learn. The
point and click options in LO make things *so* much more accessible. Of
course, I'll be the first to admit that LO can't match the professional
final output of LaTeX, (especially with LaTeX's OSF font options and the
Microtype justification package), but it's getting closer, and certainly
acceptable for my purposes.

So, to make matters easier, when using LaTeX, I try to stick with the its
default formatting, which results in a (voluntary) loss of control.

Virgil

deleted

nabbler nabbler

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

On 13/02/2014, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> e-letter wrote,
>
>>What control is lost in latex?
>
> Fair question, and I probably should have worded it better. Yes, with LaTeX,
>
> you can control everything, but (at least in my experience) the learning
> curve to gain that control can be daunting. The GUI of LyX makes things
> easier, but even then, if you want total control, you're mixing in raw TeX
> commands with options selected from a menu, all the while throwing in a long
>
> list of preamble commands, all of which can take a long time to learn. The
> point and click options in LO make things *so* much more accessible. Of
> course, I'll be the first to admit that LO can't match the professional
> final output of LaTeX, (especially with LaTeX's OSF font options and the
> Microtype justification package), but it's getting closer, and certainly
> acceptable for my purposes.
>
> So, to make matters easier, when using LaTeX, I try to stick with the its
> default formatting, which results in a (voluntary) loss of control.

OK, fair enough but as a latex user, was amazed to read a claim that
LO provides greater control! :)

pbw pbw

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

TeX (and LaTeX) is one of those things I was always "gunna" learn to
use. More power to you.
--
Peter West
"What comes out of a man is what defiles him."

Marcello Romani Marcello Romani

Il 13/02/2014 20:02, Ian Whitfield ha scritto:

> On 02/13/2014 08:04 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> I think some people here do read the manuals
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
>>
>> But i agree that it might be good for certain people (mostly thinking
>> about me tbh) to dip in and read-up even on just 1 feature per week or
>> month or however long.  Actually part of the reason i joined this list
>> was because i hoped to learn how to solve issues that people find
>> problematic in the here&now and maybe learn a few tricks or quirks.
>> Kinda a cheats way of learning without trying.  However i really need
>> to knuckle down to some proper reading at some point.
>>
>> Perhaps we could have a quick little weekly "gem" (or "find") maybe
>> from a different person each time (ish)? but i think some of the
>> various blogs are trying to do that already.  Would it be
>> "duplication" to do something similar on this list or would it be just
>> a good thing to try out for a bit because we handle things differently
>> here?
>>
> Advice of the week Tom .... RTFM!!!!  LOL!!
>
> IanW
> Pretoria RSA

That's the first gem of the series! ;-)

--
Marcello Romani

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: Neat Writer Feature -- Relative Font Sizes

> OK, fair enough but as a latex user, was amazed to read a claim that
> LO provides greater control! :)

​They are tools. Power users of each tools will find that they are on the
"better" side.
Some peoples feel that latex, with all the commands everywhere is too
​complicated, but when you learn a bit about it it's ok. Same for
LibreOffice; there's properties dialog everywhere, multiple levels of
styles, and not-always intuitive page management, but when you learn a bit
about it it's ok.
And in both case, doing anything that's more advanced will require more
learning. Setting up the "best" template for your work can be tedious with
any tools, LO and latex included. But writing a ~100 lines latex class file
to match an (imposed) template is as tedious as setting the correct chain
of styles in LO...

Regarding the "greater control" statement, it's the same. You can have a
lot of control in both, but it's gonna be some work. But I'll concede, one
of latex advantages is that it have sensible default settings for various
usages :)

Cley wrote:

>They are tools. Power users of each tools will find that they are on the
>"better" side.
>Some peoples feel that latex, with all the commands everywhere is too
​>complicated, but when you learn a bit about it it's ok. Same for
>LibreOffice; there's properties dialog everywhere, multiple levels of
>styles, and not-always intuitive page management, but when you learn a bit
>about it it's ok.
>And in both case, doing anything that's more advanced will require more
>learning. Setting up the "best" template for your work can be tedious with
>any tools, LO and latex included. But writing a ~100 lines latex class file
>to match an (imposed) template is as tedious as setting the correct chain
>of styles in LO...

>Regarding the "greater control" statement, it's the same. You can have a
>lot of control in both, but it's gonna be some work. But I'll concede, one
>of latex advantages is that it have sensible default settings for various
>usages :)

Excellent summary, and I fully agree.

In terms of ease of use, I find that with a program like LO, I can (usually)
figure something out by navigating the menus. With LaTeX, I'm performing
Google searches to find out the proper syntax to use in preamble commands. I
think my LaTeX distribution came with some 1200 document files explaining
the various packages etc. If I recall correctly, the documentation for the
Microtype package is over 200 letter size pages. The FancyHdr documentation
is equally daunting, but necessary to read if you want to customize your
headers and footers. With LO, just put the cursor in the footer and type
what you want. The wysiwyg interface does make things easier.

And, then there's all those surprises on compilation. I recently did a
document with several references to dollar figures. The program reminded me
that I had to put a "\" in front of every dollar sign "$" because LaTeX
translates dollar signs into a special code. With LO, I don't have to worry
about those things.

All that said, I do truly love LaTeX. I enjoy working with pure text files
(very little risk of file corruption) and that final output just can't be
beat.

Virgil