New Theme for new Extensions-Template-Site: Current Status

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

New Theme for new Extensions-Template-Site: Current Status

Hello,

sorry for cross posting, but I want to provide information to the design
team too and look for support from both teams (website and design) ;-)

I worked on a new theme for the extensions and templates website in the
meantime. The theme is based on the Diazo framework. It contains
especially a rules file (xslt rules) and a static HTML site template
with the additional CSS file(s) and images. I created a site only for
the theming work. You could find it at:
http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExt-Theming/en. It shows
always the current state of the theme work.

This is work in progress and I'm looking for some volunteers to join and
e.g. create some artwork (e.g. logo etc.). I'm looking also for some
feedback and some ideas how to improve the current state (I created only
the CSS for the startpage of the extensions center and the forms yet.
The project and release sites are still in a pre-pre-alpha status.).

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org

Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze

Re: New Theme for new Extensions-Template-Site: Current Status

Hi Andreas,

not sure if you got replies. So a few thoughts on my part: I don't like it. There are too many colors, fonts (size and style), areas that I get a clue what it stands for. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but I'm German :-). Seriously, it might be a good start point for discussions.

* I guess this page is intended to provide extensions, but templates as well?
* Is it supposed to be opened primarily from LO start center?
* What use case do people follow? (You provide so far 1. Filter (app, version, rating) 2. Submit and 3. Browse sort of inspiration (most recent, most popular...). In this respect, where do users start? (Navigation through your page should start top left and go tho bottom right)
* Is there access to different sites? (Home tab, Search input).
* Do you want to be international?
* Are there different tasks/use-cases and if so which is there a preference?

Starting with a vision, scenario, and requirements makes the creation of a layout easy later. For instance, if <5% of the users do not know what log-in is good for this function could be hidden by moving it into a menu. Having a consistent layout and branding (libreoffice.org) makes the page familar and feel users at home.

Hope that helps,
Heiko.

PS: White on (toxic) green is not easy to read. Green (background) and blue (links) bites each other.

Am 07.06.2015 21:32:53, schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hello,
>
> sorry for cross posting, but I want to provide information to the design
> team too and look for support from both teams (website and design) ;-)
>
> I worked on a new theme for the extensions and templates website in the
> meantime. The theme is based on the Diazo framework. It contains
> especially a rules file (xslt rules) and a static HTML site template
> with the additional CSS file(s) and images. I created a site only for
> the theming work. You could find it at:
> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExt-Theming/en. It shows
> always the current state of the theme work.
>
> This is work in progress and I'm looking for some volunteers to join and
> e.g. create some artwork (e.g. logo etc.). I'm looking also for some
> feedback and some ideas how to improve the current state (I created only
> the CSS for the startpage of the extensions center and the forms yet.
> The project and release sites are still in a pre-pre-alpha status.).
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> --
> ## Developer LibreOffice
> ## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows
> ## http://LibreOffice.org
> ## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org)
> ## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Dipl.-Psych. Dr. Heiko Tietze
Research & Project Management
T +49 30 6098548-22 | M +49 179 1268509

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer Björn Balazs

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: New Theme for new Extensions-Template-Site: Current Status

Hi Heiko,

I got a very few replies.

Am 15.06.2015 um 15:08 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> not sure if you got replies. So a few thoughts on my part: I don't
> like it. There are too many colors, fonts (size and style), areas that
> I get a clue what it stands for. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but
> I'm German :-). Seriously, it might be a good start point for discussions.

You are invited to propose some concrete improvements. I wrote that it
is in a pre-pre-alpha status.

> * I guess this page is intended to provide extensions, but templates
> as well?

Yes, mentioned this already on the mailinglists. I'll create two Plone
addons (currently only the one for extensions is developed to usable
state / not finished).

> * Is it supposed to be opened primarily from LO start center?

Currently I don't plan to change the link from the extension manager of
LibreOffice to the start center. That's not the focus of my project but
maybe a topic of the design/UX team and the LibreOffice developer.

> * What use case do people follow? (You provide so far 1. Filter (app,
> version, rating) 2. Submit and 3. Browse sort of inspiration (most
> recent, most popular...). In this respect, where do users start?
> (Navigation through your page should start top left and go tho bottom
> right)

We have different users of the website:
a) contributors
b) 'consumer'

If you like you could provide a screendesign (image) or work directly
with HTML/CSS. Happy to get some input here.

> * Is there access to different sites? (Home tab, Search input).

It will be one website (not two like in the current state) with one user
base and two areas (side by side) with different search results etc.
> * Do you want to be international?

The site and the addons support internationalization by design. It's
also possible to translate every content item in different languages.
Plone supports a lot of them (and the addons could do so too).

> * Are there different tasks/use-cases and if so which is there a
> preference?

Yes, see my explanation above.

> Starting with a vision, scenario, and requirements makes the creation
> of a layout easy later. For instance, if <5% of the users do not know
> what log-in is good for this function could be hidden by moving it
> into a menu. Having a consistent layout and branding (libreoffice.org)
> makes the page familar and feel users at home.

I'm not sure if our users don't know about the log-in feature. But you
could draw a sketch and we could discuss and get some steps further.

> Hope that helps,
> Heiko.
>
> PS: White on (toxic) green is not easy to read. Green (background) and
> blue (links) bites each other.

We doesn't have this green/white combination on libreoffice.org, do we?

The blue links are only a pre-pree-alpha state. It's very easy to change
colors in CSS.

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-website] New Theme for new Extensions-Template-Site: Current Status

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Mantke wrote on 07-06-15 21:32:

> This is work in progress and I'm looking for some volunteers to join and
> e.g. create some artwork (e.g. logo etc.).

The extensions website serves a great goal and the existing pages made a
very good start for that time, for which I'm really grateful.

Looking at the fine detailed progress over the past year, I think that
it's easy too for you, to make the next step in this project. Then
seeing final results of your work will go much faster as you can
effectively use your knowledge to make others help, rather then keeping
looking for people to help as was done over the past years. I'm sure you
can make that step too and think that others who much rely on you, will
really appreciate.

Cheers,
Cor

--