New Whiteboard Proposal "Comments Ruler Control"

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

New Whiteboard Proposal "Comments Ruler Control"

Hi everybody,

there has been some nice ruler rework recently [1], and so I got a
friendly ping about what had happened to the so called "Comments Ruler
Control" I've proposed years ago when working on the Writer notes [2].

I've started a (private) Whiteboard and updated the description and
behavior to conform with the refreshed rulers - and the overall more
simplistic visual design in LibO:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/Temporary_Work_Space/CommentsRulerControl

Question to the Design Team: Any objections to move that to the official
Whiteboard area? (The last time I've looked at the Whiteboards page it
mentioned: "Don't create a whiteboard without discussing it with the
design team first.").

I did not follow the discussion too closely during the last weeks with
regard to the workflow - but I guess accepting the proposal starts the
"proposal phase", right?

Cheers,
Christoph

[1]
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/archives/permalinks/2012-05-17T10_58_20.html

[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Notes2

mirek2 mirek2

Re: New Whiteboard Proposal "Comments Ruler Control"

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> there has been some nice ruler rework recently [1], and so I got a
> friendly ping about what had happened to the so called "Comments Ruler
> Control" I've proposed years ago when working on the Writer notes [2].
>
> I've started a (private) Whiteboard and updated the description and
> behavior to conform with the refreshed rulers - and the overall more
> simplistic visual design in LibO:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/Temporary_Work_Space/CommentsRulerControl
>
> The summary needs to present a simple goal the whiteboard should
accomplish (such as "Make comments more accessible"). The summary should be
generic enough so that there are as few restrictions as possible for
solving the underlying problem (that comments are hard to access) -- there
are ways to solve it without a button in the ruler area.
The contents of the summary you currently present concerns your own
proposal, and therefore should be presented under your proposal's section
instead.

Question to the Design Team: Any objections to move that to the official
> Whiteboard area? (The last time I've looked at the Whiteboards page it
> mentioned: "Don't create a whiteboard without discussing it with the
> design team first.").

Could you post a revised summary on your user page first?

> I did not follow the discussion too closely during the last weeks with
> regard to the workflow - but I guess accepting the proposal starts the
> "proposal phase", right?

Call for Proposals, yes.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: New Whiteboard Proposal "Comments Ruler Control"

Hi Mirek, hi all!

Am Freitag, den 08.06.2012, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Mirek M.:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:
> > there has been some nice ruler rework recently [1], and so I got a
> > friendly ping about what had happened to the so called "Comments Ruler
> > Control" I've proposed years ago when working on the Writer notes [2].
> >
> > I've started a (private) Whiteboard
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/Temporary_Work_Space/CommentsRulerControl

> The summary needs to present a simple goal the whiteboard should
> accomplish (such as "Make comments more accessible"). The summary should be
> generic enough so that there are as few restrictions as possible for
> solving the underlying problem (that comments are hard to access) -- there
> are ways to solve it without a button in the ruler area.
> The contents of the summary you currently present concerns your own
> proposal, and therefore should be presented under your proposal's section
> instead.

Modified the whiteboard accordingly - although I find it a bit
superfluous, since the developers asked for a description of the
Comments Ruler Control. On the other hand, maybe it serves as an
inspiration for others to bring up great proposals ... let's see :-)

Any further feedback? (Before moving the page?)

Cheers,
Christoph

mirek2 mirek2

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Mirek, hi all!
>
> Am Freitag, den 08.06.2012, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Mirek M.:
> > On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> > > there has been some nice ruler rework recently [1], and so I got a
> > > friendly ping about what had happened to the so called "Comments Ruler
> > > Control" I've proposed years ago when working on the Writer notes [2].
> > >
> > > I've started a (private) Whiteboard
> > >
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/Temporary_Work_Space/CommentsRulerControl
>

> > The summary needs to present a simple goal the whiteboard should
> > accomplish (such as "Make comments more accessible"). The summary should
> be
> > generic enough so that there are as few restrictions as possible for
> > solving the underlying problem (that comments are hard to access) --
> there
> > are ways to solve it without a button in the ruler area.
> > The contents of the summary you currently present concerns your own
> > proposal, and therefore should be presented under your proposal's section
> > instead.
>
> Modified the whiteboard accordingly - although I find it a bit
> superfluous, since the developers asked for a description of the
> Comments Ruler Control. On the other hand, maybe it serves as an
> inspiration for others to bring up great proposals ... let's see :-)
>
> Any further feedback? (Before moving the page?)

Looks good.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: New Whiteboard Proposal "Comments Ruler Control"

Hi Mirek, all!

Am Samstag, den 09.06.2012, 00:39 +0200 schrieb Mirek M.:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 08.06.2012, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Mirek M.:

[...]

> > Any further feedback? (Before moving the page?)
>
> Looks good.

Mirek, thanks for having a look and thanks for the guidance! So I've ...
      * added a link on the Whiteboard to this discussion thread
      * moved the page to the Whiteboards area (see [1])
      * added the Whiteboard to the "Call for Proposals" section
      * added a link to the new Whiteboard to Bug 38246 (the Easy hack
        bug for hacking on that issue)

[1] New location for the Whiteboard "Comments Ruler Control":
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Comments_Ruler_Control

Cheers,
Christoph

mirek2 mirek2

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Mirek, all!
>
> Am Samstag, den 09.06.2012, 00:39 +0200 schrieb Mirek M.:
> > On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> [hidden email]
> Ruler
> [2].

> [...]
>
> > > Any further feedback? (Before moving the page?)
> >
> > Looks good.
>
> Mirek, thanks for having a look and thanks for the guidance! So I've ...
>      * added a link on the Whiteboard to this discussion thread
>      * moved the page to the Whiteboards area (see [1])
>      * added the Whiteboard to the "Call for Proposals" section
>      * added a link to the new Whiteboard to Bug 38246 (the Easy hack
>        bug for hacking on that issue)
>
> [1] New location for the Whiteboard "Comments Ruler Control":
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Comments_Ruler_Control

Great.
I renamed the entry on the official whiteboard page to "Comments Toggle for
Writer," as the submitted proposals don't have to concern the ruler.