New Windows Tinderbox Needed

slacka slacka

New Windows Tinderbox Needed

This week, I needed a daily Windows build to verify a bugfix, but found that none of the win tinderboxes are operational.  After reaching out to the owners, I learned that the only tinderbox that has been working for the past year, @42, “is really aging.”

Having a reliable Windows tinderbox is invaluable to QA. Over the years, I’ve used

https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/

builds to confirm hundreds bugs and verify fixes. And, I’m sure I’m not alone. Does TDF have hardware that could be repurposed for this?

slacka slacka

Re: New Windows Tinderbox Needed

Currently all Windows tinderboxes that generated the daily builds are down: @39, @42, and @62

Fortunately, I had the time this week to roll my own builds and in the process discovered 2 build breaking commits [1] [2], while another user found a 3rd one [3].  If the 3 win tinderboxes were up, the cause of these build breaking commits would be obvious to anyone monitoring the tinderbox status page.

Besides QA needing daily builds,  another advantage to having working tinderboxes is that developers don't need to rely on reports to verify that their fixes. For example Caolan was in the dark after his tried this 2nd attempt at a blind fix[4].

I have neither the computing resources nor time to constantly run builds to find breaking commits. Can TDF please put some resources towards this problem?  As you can see from the status page [5] the Linux tinderboxes are in great shape, but the Windows boxes need some attention.

-Luke

[1] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/64-bit-Windows-build-failure-this-pointer-for-member-may-not-be-aligned-8-as-expected-by-the-construr-td4244874.html

[2] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Windows-Debug-builds-failure-DbgGUIInitSolarMutexCheck-identifier-not-found-td4245003.html

[3] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Segmentation-fault-when-compiling-td4245102.html

[4] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/64-bit-Windows-build-failure-this-pointer-for-member-may-not-be-aligned-8-as-expected-by-the-construr-td4244874.html#a4245284

[5] https://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/MASTER/status.html
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard

Re: New Windows Tinderbox Needed

Hey Luke,

Note that we still have Windows Tinderbox builds. https://ci.libreoffice.org/ lists the Windows tinderbox builds done by tb72 and tb73. We will always have some platform related problems (e.g. compiler or some specific system conditions) that will slip through our normal tinderbox builds.

Besides QA needing daily builds,  another advantage to having working tinderboxes is that developers don't need to rely on reports to verify that their fixes. For example Caolan was in the dark after his tried this 2nd attempt at a blind fix[4].

Developers don't need tinderboxes for getting feedback about their fixes. Everything that will usually be discovered by one of the tinderbox will also be covered by our gerrit buildbots and the Windows tinderboxes configured in jenkins. The tinderbox page that you use is our old CI page with the non-TDF infra managed builds.

I have neither the computing resources nor time to constantly run builds to find breaking commits. Can TDF please put some resources towards this problem?  As you can see from the status page [5] the Linux tinderboxes are in great shape, but the Windows boxes need some attention.

As can be seen by our jenkins instance this is already handled. Of course the availability of daily windows builds is another point.

Regards,
Markus

-Luke

[1] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/64-bit-Windows-build-failure-this-pointer-for-member-may-not-be-aligned-8-as-expected-by-the-construr-td4244874.html

[2] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Windows-Debug-builds-failure-DbgGUIInitSolarMutexCheck-identifier-not-found-td4245003.html

[3] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Segmentation-fault-when-compiling-td4245102.html

[4] http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/64-bit-Windows-build-failure-this-pointer-for-member-may-not-be-aligned-8-as-expected-by-the-construr-td4244874.html#a4245284

[5] https://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/MASTER/status.html
Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Re: New Windows Tinderbox Needed

Hi Luke,

Luke Benes píše v Pá 03. 08. 2018 v 19:05 +0000:

> Currently all Windows tinderboxes that generated the daily builds are
> down: @39, @42, and @62

Sorry about the @39 tinderbox bad shape - the builds got broken there
during my vacation, and I still did not get to fixing that :-(

> I have neither the computing resources nor time to constantly run
> builds to find breaking commits.

I fear the biggest problem is the people's time it takes to keep the
Windows tinderboxes running.  I have hard times finding that recently -
 so I'd be happy to send you the @39 box in case you had a place for
that & could run it.  Of course, that is if you live somewhere in the
EU - sending it overseas would be a problem on its own I fear.

Would you be able to run the box, please?

All the best,
Kendy
slacka slacka

Re: New Windows Tinderbox Needed

Jan,

Sorry, I don't live in the EU, but I'd be happy to help you with the administration for those tasks that can be done remotely.

If network hosting is an issue, could TDF help out with that?

-Luke