New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

TomD TomD

New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

Hi :)
Mike Saunders and the rest of the marketing team (and translators) have
made a video showing the new features in LibreOffice 6.1.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU

I think some of the new features are things that have been asked about
quite recently- and might mean we have better answers for those questions
now.

Be wary though !!  This is the .0 release and it's only just been
releasedtoday so this is THE point at which the most unexpected and
unlikely breakages of functionality may occur !  It is also the BEST time
to try out he new version AWAY from your regular install preferably on a
system you don't rely on for work or in a sandboxed area (Gnu&Linux has
MANY different ways of creating safe-areas to try things out in).

It is THE time that the most devs are focusing on this new release so it's
the best time to find bugs or features that have gone wonky and post
bug-reports about them.

This is also a good time to join the QA Team to help them with filing&admin
tasks, and perhaps asking bug-reporters for relevant information that might
help the devs handle their request and generally help with first

Good luck and regards from
a Tom :)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 11:13, Mike Saunders <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/08/2018 16:01, Mike Saunders wrote:
> >
> > 2) There is a new video for LibreOffice 6.1; I'll provide the updated
> > URL tomorrow just before launch.
>
> Here it is:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU
>
> Mike

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

FYI

11:08 AM EST

YouTube video is not displaying.

Results in message "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting
your device" in Firefox.

Interestingly enough, if you move your cursor over the time line, it
display image from video.

Hope this helps.

On 8/8/2018 7:44 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Mike Saunders and the rest of the marketing team (and translators) have
> made a video showing the new features in LibreOffice 6.1.0.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU
>
> I think some of the new features are things that have been asked about
> quite recently- and might mean we have better answers for those questions
> now.
>
> Be wary though !!  This is the .0 release and it's only just been
> releasedtoday so this is THE point at which the most unexpected and
> unlikely breakages of functionality may occur !  It is also the BEST time
> to try out he new version AWAY from your regular install preferably on a
> system you don't rely on for work or in a sandboxed area (Gnu&Linux has
> MANY different ways of creating safe-areas to try things out in).
>
> It is THE time that the most devs are focusing on this new release so it's
> the best time to find bugs or features that have gone wonky and post
> bug-reports about them.
>
> This is also a good time to join the QA Team to help them with filing&admin
> tasks, and perhaps asking bug-reporters for relevant information that might
> help the devs handle their request and generally help with first
>
> Good luck and regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 11:13, Mike Saunders <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2018 16:01, Mike Saunders wrote:
>>> 2) There is a new video for LibreOffice 6.1; I'll provide the updated
>>> URL tomorrow just before launch.
>> Here it is:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU
>>
>> Mike

James Knott-2 James Knott-2

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

I see the same thing.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 11:21 08/08/2018 -0400, James Knott wrote:
>I see the same thing.

So why does it work for me - in Firefox under Windows 10? Are you
missing the underlying functionality required to display the video?
Should you install Windows? ;^)

Brian Barker

mhenriday mhenriday

Den ons 8 aug. 2018 kl 17:22 skrev James Knott <[hidden email]>:

> I see the same thing.
>
> On 08/08/2018 11:13 AM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
> > FYI
> >
> > 11:08 AM EST
> >
> > YouTube video is not displaying.
> >
> > Results in message "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting
> > your device" in Firefox.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, if you move your cursor over the time line, it
> > display image from video.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > On 8/8/2018 7:44 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> >> Hi :)
> >> Mike Saunders and the rest of the marketing team (and translators) have
> >> made a video showing the new features in LibreOffice 6.1.0.
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU
> >>
> >> I think some of the new features are things that have been asked about
> >> quite recently- and might mean we have better answers for those
> >> questions
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Be wary though !!  This is the .0 release and it's only just been
> >> releasedtoday so this is THE point at which the most unexpected and
> >> unlikely breakages of functionality may occur !  It is also the BEST
> >> time
> >> to try out he new version AWAY from your regular install preferably on a
> >> system you don't rely on for work or in a sandboxed area (Gnu&Linux has
> >> MANY different ways of creating safe-areas to try things out in).
> >>
> >> It is THE time that the most devs are focusing on this new release so
> >> it's
> >> the best time to find bugs or features that have gone wonky and post
> >> bug-reports about them.
> >>
> >> This is also a good time to join the QA Team to help them with
> >> filing&admin
> >> tasks, and perhaps asking bug-reporters for relevant information that
> >> might
> >> help the devs handle their request and generally help with first
> >>
> >> Good luck and regards from
> >> a Tom :)

Clicking Mike's link above runs the YouTube video without any problem on
Firefox on my 64-bit Linux Mint 19 installation....

Henri

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On 08/08/2018 11:37 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

> Den ons 8 aug. 2018 kl 17:22 skrev James Knott <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I see the same thing.
>>
>> On 08/08/2018 11:13 AM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
>>> FYI
>>>
>>> 11:08 AM EST
>>>
>>> YouTube video is not displaying.
>>>
>>> Results in message "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting
>>> your device" in Firefox.
>>>
>>> Interestingly enough, if you move your cursor over the time line, it
>>> display image from video.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.

> Clicking Mike's link above runs the YouTube video without any problem on
> Firefox on my 64-bit Linux Mint 19 installation....
>
> Henri

I am not having any problems watching the video either on Firefox, 64
bit Ubuntu 18.04. I just finished watching.

Dan

Gilles Gravier Gilles Gravier

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

For me it works fine with Chromium and Firefox... on Windows and on
Ubuntu 18.04.1.

--
Signature Home Pro
Gilles Gravier- [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:37:38 +0200
M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den ons 8 aug. 2018 kl 17:22 skrev James Knott
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I see the same thing.
> >
> > On 08/08/2018 11:13 AM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
> > > FYI
> > >
> > > 11:08 AM EST
> > >
> > > YouTube video is not displaying.
> > >
> > > Results in message "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try
> > > restarting your device" in Firefox.
> > >
> > > Interestingly enough, if you move your cursor over the time line,
> > > it display image from video.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.

[snip]

> Clicking Mike's link above runs the YouTube video without any problem
> on Firefox on my 64-bit Linux Mint 19 installation....
>
> Henri

Works for me. openSUSE Leap 15.0 with up-to-date codecs from packman.

James Knott-2 James Knott-2

On 08/08/2018 11:49 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> For me it works fine with Chromium and Firefox... on Windows and on
> Ubuntu 18.04.1.

I did some more testing and found it fails in Seamonkey, but works in
Firefox & Chromium on 15.0.

Gilles Gravier Gilles Gravier

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

On Windows 7 it works on SeaMonkey 2.49.1 on my system.

Gilles

> On 08/08/2018 11:49 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> > For me it works fine with Chromium and Firefox... on Windows and on
> > Ubuntu 18.04.1.
>
> I did some more testing and found it fails in Seamonkey, but works in
> Firefox & Chromium on 15.0.

*Gilles Gravier*  - [hidden email]
GSM : +33618347147 and +41794728437
Skype : ggravier | PGP Key : 0x8DE6D026
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>

James Knott-2 James Knott-2

On 08/08/2018 12:15 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> On Windows 7 it works on SeaMonkey 2.49.1 on my system.

Same version on 15.0.

James Knott-2 James Knott-2

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

Sorry, I should have checked which list I was on.  I'm running OpenSUSE
Linux, Leap 15.0.

On 08/08/2018 12:20 PM, James Knott wrote:
> On 08/08/2018 12:15 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> On Windows 7 it works on SeaMonkey 2.49.1 on my system.
>>
> Same version on 15.0.

Gilles Gravier Gilles Gravier

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

 With SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Ubuntu (installed from: https://www.linuxbabe.
com/ubuntu/how-to-install-seamonkey-on-ubuntu-16-04) but running on
18.04.1, it displays fine.

James Knott-2 James Knott-2

On 08/08/2018 11:34 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> So why does it work for me - in Firefox under Windows 10? Are you
> missing the underlying functionality required to display the video?
> Should you install Windows? ;^)

Further testing revealed it was only Seamonkey on OpenSUSE Leap 15.0.
Firefox and Chromium are OK.

Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

I watched it just fine on Vivaldi 1.15, Windows 10. I'm stoked about
the new icon sets!

TomD TomD

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

Hi :)
I'm really glad about the improved image handling.  Has anyone tried that
feature yet?  There have been all sorts of problems with images over the
years so i'm really glad of the work that has gone into that :))

I don't get hugely excited about icons, unless they are really unclear.
These are clear so it's a big (but unexcited)  thumbs up from me :)

What features do other people like?
Regards from
a Tom :)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 18:17, Eddie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I watched it just fine on Vivaldi 1.15, Windows 10. I'm stoked about
> the new icon sets!
>
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 11:13:07 -0400
> "Paul D. Mirowsky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > FYI
> >
> > 11:08 AM EST
> >
> > YouTube video is not displaying.
> >
> > Results in message "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting
> > your device" in Firefox.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, if you move your cursor over the time line, it
> > display image from video.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > On 8/8/2018 7:44 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> > > Hi :)
> > > Mike Saunders and the rest of the marketing team (and translators)
> > > have made a video showing the new features in LibreOffice 6.1.0.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvoCpnwGNFU
> > >
> > > I think some of the new features are things that have been asked
> > > about quite recently- and might mean we have better answers for
> > > those questions now.
> > >
> > > Be wary though !!  This is the .0 release and it's only just been
> > > releasedtoday so this is THE point at which the most unexpected and
> > > unlikely breakages of functionality may occur !  It is also the
> > > BEST time to try out he new version AWAY from your regular install
> > > preferably on a system you don't rely on for work or in a sandboxed
> > > area (Gnu&Linux has MANY different ways of creating safe-areas to
> > > try things out in).
> > >
> > > It is THE time that the most devs are focusing on this new release
> > > so it's the best time to find bugs or features that have gone wonky
> > > and post bug-reports about them.
> > >
> > > This is also a good time to join the QA Team to help them with
> > > filing&admin tasks, and perhaps asking bug-reporters for relevant
> > > information that might help the devs handle their request and
> > > generally help with first responses.
> > >
> > > Good luck and regards from
> > > a Tom :)

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

I don't know what happened, but I tried it in Chrome, Explorer and
Firefox and had similar loading problems.

Restarted machine and Firefox is working now.

Probably related to NVidia driver, but who knows.

Sorry about the false start.

Enjoying the video now.

Thanks

Paul

TomD TomD

Re: New features in 6.1.0 Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Text for "New Features" page for translation, after LO 6.1 release

Hi :)
I really liked the way you got instant support from someone else on the
mailing-list confirming that they too had the same problem a then a load of
people trying to pin-down exactly which OSes or at least platforms were
affected and which web-browsers.

It sounds like maybe someone heard us and fixed the problem pretty quickly
or perhaps that had been underway already but either way it was good to see
so many people quickly jumping in to help.  I was about to post my own
machine and web-browser but someone else beat me to it by posting the
result of an almost identical set-up.

This mailing list is ace :))  Thanks all!! :)
Regards from
a Tom :)