New icon set

12 « Prev
Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: New icon set

Hi all,

I'd like to avoid to give an opinion on whether a monochrome icon set
does make sense, but ...

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 18:47 +0100 schrieb Kévin PEIGNOT:

> > In terms of implementation, i believe that it would be a save of time and
> > effort if we begin with using an existing theme. I am not sure if we have a
> > tool which could apply some property (say something like a monochrome layer
> > over the icon) across an entire icon set, and I will do some research into
> > this. If we do manage to get this as a script, we could run it to create
> > mono-chrome versions of a few icon-themes like tango, and then see the
> > result and choose and modify accordingly.
> >
> Great Idea. And then making one icon set (I mean color) and including this
> script in the software to generate the others colors ? Should we ask on dev
> mailing list if this is possible / if it would need lot of CPU/memory
> resource

I don't think that will work well given our massive number of icons and
the need for easy understandability. Even today, scalable icons (SVG)
are not used for small icon sizes, because these need to be tweaked by
designers to achieve reasonable quality. So, removing the information
channel "color" automatically might not lead to sufficient results.

However, wouldn't be easiest thing to pick some icons and to use a
graphics program like "The Gimp" to apply some effects to continue the
discussion?

Here is - for example - a link to the Galaxy icons (don't know the
license):
http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/gifs/Icons/example_galaxy_icons.png

Then it should be possible to test whether active icons, highlighted
icons and disabled icons can actually be recognized easily. Maybe Björn
can jump in and help us with some icon usability testing ...

Stella (the former designer at Sun) did something similar when working
on new "disabled icon" effects. That worked well to get an idea about
the finally desired effect:
http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_disabled.html

Cheers,
Christoph

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: New icon set

Hi again,

I think I need to reply to my own mail ;-)

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 19:29 +0100 schrieb Christoph Noack:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to avoid to give an opinion on whether a monochrome icon set
> does make sense, but ...
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 18:47 +0100 schrieb Kévin PEIGNOT:
> > > In terms of implementation, i believe that it would be a save of time and
> > > effort if we begin with using an existing theme.
[...]

> > Great Idea. And then making one icon set (I mean color) and including this
> > script in the software to generate the others colors ? Should we ask on dev
> > mailing list if this is possible / if it would need lot of CPU/memory
> > resource
>
> I don't think that will work well given our massive number of icons and
> the need for easy understandability. Even today, scalable icons (SVG)
> are not used for small icon sizes, because these need to be tweaked by
> designers to achieve reasonable quality. So, removing the information
> channel "color" automatically might not lead to sufficient results.

Kévin, I've read your mail again and noticed that Mirek makes decent use
of colors in his mockup. That made me think of the High Contrast icons /
graphics I was working on some time ago - maybe a good starting point
would be the High Contrast theme. The number of colors is rather low, so
it should be possible to reduce the contrast a bit (maybe also
exchanging some colors), so that the desired effect of monochrome icons
can be realized rather easily.

Please have a look at one of the graphics (randomly chosen):
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/1.1/images/accessibility.jpg

On the plus side, using the old Galaxy HC icons would bring us better
icon quality than we have today with the Tango set (that lacks some
icons in the less used places).

> However, wouldn't be easiest thing to pick some icons and to use a
> graphics program like "The Gimp" to apply some effects to continue the
> discussion?
[...]

Finally, sorry for the additional mail ...

Cheers,
Christoph

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: New icon set

Hi all

I tried modifying official hicontrast theme (I choosed default one just
because it was in the repos and easy to test )
. Hicontrast is a good basis because It's maybe the more complete theme of
all.
Here is the result for 5 icons : http://ubuntuone.com/7HLYSzrN8lfimbXLYUiOw5

I used Android Guidelines colors, as adviced by Mirek (I didn't choosed
well colored / non colored parts, but it's a first start to see whether
it's possible to have something OK based on highcontrast, easily)

I tried using little and big icons sizes, they are or too big or too little.

Link to high contrast theme : http://ubuntuone.com/4UaF2dRGZS87xL1qMOGlc0

So, how to decide whether we use - or not - monochrom icons ?

Kévin

2012/2/22 Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>

> Hi again,
>
> I think I need to reply to my own mail ;-)
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 19:29 +0100 schrieb Christoph Noack:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to avoid to give an opinion on whether a monochrome icon set
> > does make sense, but ...

> time and
> [...]
> > > Great Idea. And then making one icon set (I mean color) and including
> this
> > > script in the software to generate the others colors ? Should we ask
> on dev
> > > mailing list if this is possible / if it would need lot of CPU/memory
> > > resource
> >
> > I don't think that will work well given our massive number of icons and
> > the need for easy understandability. Even today, scalable icons (SVG)
> > are not used for small icon sizes, because these need to be tweaked by
> > designers to achieve reasonable quality. So, removing the information
> > channel "color" automatically might not lead to sufficient results.
>
> Kévin, I've read your mail again and noticed that Mirek makes decent use
> of colors in his mockup. That made me think of the High Contrast icons /
> graphics I was working on some time ago - maybe a good starting point
> would be the High Contrast theme. The number of colors is rather low, so
> it should be possible to reduce the contrast a bit (maybe also
> exchanging some colors), so that the desired effect of monochrome icons
> can be realized rather easily.
>
> Please have a look at one of the graphics (randomly chosen):
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/1.1/images/accessibility.jpg
>
> On the plus side, using the old Galaxy HC icons would bring us better
> icon quality than we have today with the Tango set (that lacks some
> icons in the less used places).
>
> > However, wouldn't be easiest thing to pick some icons and to use a
> > graphics program like "The Gimp" to apply some effects to continue the
> > discussion?
> [...]
>
> Finally, sorry for the additional mail ...
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

mirek2 mirek2

Re: New icon set

Hi everyone,
If we are to make an icon set, I would prefer it to be designed from
scratch. I don't think we can achieve good quality by transforming the
Tango icon set or the High Contrast Galaxy set (frankly, it's much harder
for me to decipher the icons from the HC than the standard icon set).

I was thinking we could begin with a simple icon set for Android. We'd
probably need to make this set anyway, as LibO would look really
out-of-place on Android if it shipped with Tango icons. And the initial
plans for the Android port are to make a high-fidelity document viewer, so
we won't have to make many icons initially. As the Android port develops,
the icon set would grow, and when it grew big enough, it would be suitable
for the desktop version.

As for active vs. disabled icons, Android has
guidelines<http://developer.android.com/design/style/iconography.html>for
this: 30% opacity for disabled icons, light or dark.

To truly achieve good quality, though, we need someone experienced to
coordinate the project. Nobody's raised their hand so far -- perhaps we
should ask some prominent open-source icon designers ourselves or raise
money on KickStarter if nobody was willing to help with this for free.

P.S. Also take a look at Adobe Buzzword's icons:
http://www.writerstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/buzzword-screenshot.png
Quite
beautiful.

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: New icon set

Hi Mirek, great to read you. Hi all(again)
2012/2/22 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>

> Hi everyone,
> If we are to make an icon set, I would prefer it to be designed from
> scratch. I don't think we can achieve good quality by transforming the
> Tango icon set or the High Contrast Galaxy set (frankly, it's much harder
> for me to decipher the icons from the HC than the standard icon set).

I tried from high contrast (see my last mail), I think we could achieve
good quality. But, for sure, not the best one for most of the icons.

> I was thinking we could begin with a simple icon set for Android. We'd
> probably need to make this set anyway, as LibO would look really
> out-of-place on Android if it shipped with Tango icons. And the initial
> plans for the Android port are to make a high-fidelity document viewer, so
> we won't have to make many icons initially. As the Android port develops,
> the icon set would grow, and when it grew big enough, it would be suitable
> for the desktop version.

I am totally in. Anyway, we will have to design a monochrom icon set. So
it's good making android viewer one first, and to see, then, whether it can
adapt to desktop, because it follow TDF plans and it permit a first
feedback on the icons.

> As for active vs. disabled icons, Android has
> guidelines<http://developer.android.com/design/style/iconography.html>for
> this: 30% opacity for disabled icons, light or dark.
>
> To truly achieve good quality, though, we need someone experienced to
> coordinate the project. Nobody's raised their hand so far -- perhaps we
> should ask some prominent open-source icon designers ourselves or raise
> money on KickStarter if nobody was willing to help with this for free.

Do someone know one of them ? Steva ? (from Sun) ? I'm in for the
kickstarter project, for sure, but I hope we could make without it.

> P.S. Also take a look at Adobe Buzzword's icons:
>
> http://www.writerstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/buzzword-screenshot.png
> Quite
> beautiful.

Shawn Thompson Shawn Thompson

Re: New icon set

I've actually got ideas for what I think would make a good lineup of
icon sets in the future:

1. Something like the current Gnome icons. They recently dropped their
Tango ones on 2.30 and these new ones are rather interesting.
2. Something Metro-like. This could satisfy a need for more
"plain/monochrome" icons for high/low contrast users, may also fit in
well on the Android version too, and give us a good "native" look for
Windows 8 users
3. Something bright and colorful for Windows XP/KDE/etc.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Kévin PEIGNOT
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mirek, great to read you. Hi all(again)
> 2012/2/22 Mirek M. <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> If we are to make an icon set, I would prefer it to be designed from
>> scratch. I don't think we can achieve good quality by transforming the
>> Tango icon set or the High Contrast Galaxy set (frankly, it's much harder
>> for me to decipher the icons from the HC than the standard icon set).
>>
> I tried from high contrast (see my last mail), I think we could achieve
> good quality. But, for sure, not the best one for most of the icons.
>

>> I was thinking we could begin with a simple icon set for Android. We'd
>> probably need to make this set anyway, as LibO would look really
>> out-of-place on Android if it shipped with Tango icons. And the initial
>> plans for the Android port are to make a high-fidelity document viewer, so
>> we won't have to make many icons initially. As the Android port develops,
>> the icon set would grow, and when it grew big enough, it would be suitable
>> for the desktop version.
>>
> I am totally in. Anyway, we will have to design a monochrom icon set. So
> it's good making android viewer one first, and to see, then, whether it can
> adapt to desktop, because it follow TDF plans and it permit a first
> feedback on the icons.
>

>> As for active vs. disabled icons, Android has
>> guidelines<http://developer.android.com/design/style/iconography.html>for
>> this: 30% opacity for disabled icons, light or dark.
>>
>> To truly achieve good quality, though, we need someone experienced to
>> coordinate the project. Nobody's raised their hand so far -- perhaps we
>> should ask some prominent open-source icon designers ourselves or raise
>> money on KickStarter if nobody was willing to help with this for free.
>>
> Do someone know one of them ? Steva ? (from Sun) ? I'm in for the
> kickstarter project, for sure, but I hope we could make without it.
>

>> P.S. Also take a look at Adobe Buzzword's icons:
>>
>> http://www.writerstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/buzzword-screenshot.png
>> Quite
>> beautiful.

>> deleted