Newbie help needed please.

Diamondblack Diamondblack

Newbie help needed please.

I am a complete novice and I do not want to come on the forum and upset
anyone with such a simple task.

I have Downloaded and installed LibreOffice 5.4.7.

I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I can not
ever work out how to do a simple edit.

All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and change
1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.

AutoBild_logo_2017.pdf
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/AutoBild_logo_2017.pdf>

AutoBild_Turm_Druck2017.pdf
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/AutoBild_Turm_Druck2017.pdf>

I can manage to highlight the text and delete it and thats all, is it
possible the it is not even text?

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

Re: Newbie help needed please.

On 23/07/18 02:22 AM, Diamondblack wrote:

> I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I can not
> ever work out how to do a simple edit.
>
> All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and change
> 1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.

PDF was designed to be a _read only_ format.
This means that to edit the file is to violate the primary intent and
function of the file format.

jonathon

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Newbie help needed please.

Hi.
It seems the text has been converted to a shape.
If you open Libreoffice Draw, and then from there open the PDF you can
edit it.

If you know the font used or can find one that looks the same, you can
delete the characters you want to change (or the whole date) and add
text (insert text box in the top row of icons, or F2) for the date you
require.

If you right click on the existing text shapes, you can inspect Line and
Area (Fill), note the settings and fill colour so you can make the new
text the same.

You can drag guide lines from the rulers to mark the position of the old
text to be deleted, so you can place the new text in the same place and
same size.

Steve

On 23/07/18 14:22, Diamondblack wrote:

> I am a complete novice and I do not want to come on the forum and upset
> anyone with such a simple task.
>
> I have Downloaded and installed LibreOffice 5.4.7.
>
> I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I can not
> ever work out how to do a simple edit.
>
> All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and change
> 1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.
>

> AutoBild_logo_2017.pdf
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/AutoBild_logo_2017.pdf>
>
> AutoBild_Turm_Druck2017.pdf
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/AutoBild_Turm_Druck2017.pdf>
>

> I can manage to highlight the text and delete it and thats all, is it
> possible the it is not even text?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: Newbie help needed please.

Le lun. 23 juil. 2018 à 04:23, Diamondblack <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> I am a complete novice and I do not want to come on the forum and upset
> anyone with such a simple task.
>
> I have Downloaded and installed LibreOffice 5.4.7.
>
> I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I can not
> ever work out how to do a simple edit.
>
> All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and change
> 1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.

​Hi,

For that kind of changes LibreOffice might not be your best option.
You should look into InkScape (it's also free software: ​
https://inkscape.org/en/ ). It can open PDF file with much more fidelity
than LibreOffice and allow very simple text changes (just double-click on
the text you want to edit).

LibreOffice is more of an authoring tool, and as said by others PDF is
*not* a format designed to be easily editable.

krackedpress krackedpress

On 07/23/2018 10:20 AM, Cley Faye wrote:

> Le lun. 23 juil. 2018 à 04:23, Diamondblack <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> I am a complete novice and I do not want to come on the forum and upset
>> anyone with such a simple task.
>>
>> I have Downloaded and installed LibreOffice 5.4.7.
>>
>> I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I can not
>> ever work out how to do a simple edit.
>>
>> All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and change
>> 1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.
>>
> ​Hi,
>
> For that kind of changes LibreOffice might not be your best option.
> You should look into InkScape (it's also free software: ​
> https://inkscape.org/en/ ). It can open PDF file with much more fidelity
> than LibreOffice and allow very simple text changes (just double-click on
> the text you want to edit).
>
> LibreOffice is more of an authoring tool, and as said by others PDF is
> *not* a format designed to be easily editable.

Great news.

I did not know that Inkscape would edit PDF files.

I just used it on Linux, instead of Corel Draw that is installed on
Windows 10.

Will look into that myself.  I do hope this answer helps the original
poster.

On 24/07/18 07:24, Tim-L wrote:

> On 07/23/2018 10:20 AM, Cley Faye wrote:
>> Le lun. 23 juil. 2018 à 04:23, Diamondblack <[hidden email]> a
>> écrit :
>>
>>> I am a complete novice and I do not want to come on the forum and upset
>>> anyone with such a simple task.
>>>
>>> I have Downloaded and installed LibreOffice 5.4.7.
>>>
>>> I have two PDF Files and all I need to do is change the text and I
>>> can not
>>> ever work out how to do a simple edit.
>>>
>>> All I have to do is change 2017 to 2009 on the first PDF file and
>>> change
>>> 1967 to 1959 on the other PDF file.
>>>
>> ​Hi,
>>
>> For that kind of changes LibreOffice might not be your best option.
>> You should look into InkScape (it's also free software: ​
>> https://inkscape.org/en/ ). It can open PDF file with much more fidelity
>> than LibreOffice and allow very simple text changes (just
>> double-click on
>> the text you want to edit).
>>
>> LibreOffice is more of an authoring tool, and as said by others PDF is
>> *not* a format designed to be easily editable.
>>
> Great news.
>
> I did not know that Inkscape would edit PDF files.
>
> I just used it on Linux, instead of Corel Draw that is installed on
> Windows 10.
>
> Will look into that myself.  I do hope this answer helps the original
> poster.

I use Draw to edit simpler PDFs and it works very well as in this
posters case, even a PDF with 20000 items, Inkscape I use for more
complex PDFs or where the edits are more substantial.
Steve

Diamondblack Diamondblack

Re: Newbie help needed please.

May I start of by saying a huge thank you to everyone who has helped me?

I have managed to alter the PDF file using Inkscape as suggested, it took a
long time but I am sure that it is OK.

AutoBild_logo_2009.pdf
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/AutoBild_logo_2009.pdf>

The 2017 file was given to me by the manufactures and I don’t know if they
still have the original 2009 file, I could have asked for it but I didn’t
want to be a pain.

I need the edited file so that a local acrylic manufacture can print the
logo and text on a piece of clear acrylic for me, the acrylic is a cover for
diecast model car display case that got damaged in the post.

I think the Logo and Text is UV flatbed printed onto the acrylic

Once again thank you to everyone who has helped

<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t494918/IMG_5519_Max.jpg>