News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

jan iversen jan iversen

News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Hi

Some positive news before tomorrows ESC meeting.

I just pushed commit f5dcce42e3d94ac121b2a511a7feddff272f2e4e.

That commit updates gbuild-to-ide to generate libreoffice.vcxproj (ONLY OSX), that contains (limited by gbuildtojson delivery)

- All modules
- All cxx files within the modules
- All targets within the modules

Load time for libreoffice.vcxproj is 2 seconds, on my mac (see attached screenshot), which is a lot faster than earlier discussions have indicated.

This solution can easily be done for the vs2013 generator as well.

Right now I will continue working on:
- adding include files (allowing editing of those)
- push the targets to workdir (ultimate goal, make and Xcode IDE puts things in the same place)

so please expect frequent updates to gbuild-to-ide.

Have fun.
rgds
jan I.

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 06:30:11PM +0100, Jan Iversen wrote:
> Load time for libreoffice.vcxproj is 2 seconds, on my mac (see attached
> screenshot), which is a lot faster than earlier discussions have indicated.

Well, initial open is not the critical thing. How long until XCode parsed all
files and has full code-completion/refactor tools/class reference?

Other than that: Good job!

Best,

Bjoern
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

> Well, initial open is not the critical thing. How long until XCode parsed all
> files and has full code-completion/refactor tools/class reference?

1 minute 28 seconds for the first start (file and text indexing as well as automatic creation of schemes)

3 seconds for the second start.

When the header files get included it will take slightly longer, but it is still very fast (in my opinion).

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 09:32:11AM +0100, Jan Iversen wrote:
> 1 minute 28 seconds for the first start (file and text indexing as well as automatic creation of schemes)

Thats quite good. A lot better than e.g. Eclipse or NetBeans last I tried.

Great to see KDevelop, XCode and MSVS shaping up!

Best,

Bjoern
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Le 04/01/2017 à 18:30, Jan Iversen a écrit :

Hi Jan,

> Some positive news before tomorrows ESC meeting.
>
> I just pushed commit f5dcce42e3d94ac121b2a511a7feddff272f2e4e.
>
> That commit updates gbuild-to-ide to generate libreoffice.vcxproj (ONLY
> OSX), that contains (limited by gbuildtojson delivery)
>
> - All modules
> - All cxx files within the modules
> - All targets within the modules

Nice !

I tried running it on OSX and get the fatal error :

Attribute Error: 'NoneType' object has no attribute group

in the gbuild parser, line 113

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Le 04/01/2017 à 18:30, Jan Iversen a écrit :

OK, so I actually looked in the osx directory, and saw an xcodeproj file
(folder).

If I open this up in XCode, I get a few warnings about architecture
overrides and whether I want to have them corrected, but more importantly :

- I only see the following modules listed under soffice : formula, sw,
vcl, java and sc

- an error is thrown in target with the line /opt/lo/bin/make

which obviously doesn't exist (at least not on my system). I'm guessing
that this needs to be corrected to just point to OSX system make.

Alex

jan iversen jan iversen

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

> On 5 Jan 2017, at 18:24, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 04/01/2017 à 18:30, Jan Iversen a écrit :
>
> OK, so I actually looked in the osx directory, and saw an xcodeproj file
> (folder).
There are 2 vcxproj directories, the new one is libreoffice.vcxproj

> If I open this up in XCode, I get a few warnings about architecture
> overrides and whether I want to have them corrected, but more importantly :
>
> - I only see the following modules listed under soffice : formula, sw,
> vcl, java and sc
>
> - an error is thrown in target with the line /opt/lo/bin/make
is sounds as if you opened the old vcxproj file, which are part of our repo and used for debugging.

Please run
make gbuildtojson
then zip workdir/Gbuildjson and mail it to me.

with the zip file I am hopefully able to reproduce youy none-object.

> which obviously doesn't exist (at least not on my system). I'm guessing
> that this needs to be corrected to just point to OSX system make.
The new vcxproj have target but they are not configured at all

if make xcode-ide-integration crashed it surely has not produced a libreoffice.vcxproj.

Looking forward to receive the zip file (mail it direct to [hidden email]) not to overload other mailboxes.

rgds
jan i

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Le 05/01/2017 à 19:23, jan iversen a écrit :

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your input, I'll try the make gbuildtojson again and send you
the zipped output from workdir/gbuildjson as requested.

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Le 06/01/2017 à 11:39, Alexander Thurgood a écrit :

Well, just to report back, it would appear that, after a fresh make
clean pull and rebuild, xcode_ide-integration now has built a
libreoffice.xcodeproj folder.

Thanks for all the work you've put in ! Off to test, now.

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: News on Xcode IDE, libre office now loads as 1 project, with modules etc.

Le 05/01/2017 à 19:23, jan iversen a écrit :

Hi Jan,

Exploring the included modules in libreoffice.xcodeproj shows that
"connectivity" isn't included - why might this be ?

Alex

jan iversen jan iversen

On 13 Jan 2017, at 17:01, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 05/01/2017 à 19:23, jan iversen a écrit :

Hi Jan,

Exploring the included modules in libreoffice.xcodeproj shows that
"connectivity" isn't included - why might this be ?
Bjoern is the right person to ask, he declared a number of modules for blacklisted. Once reason could be if the module contains Java, another can be the makefiles are not using the standard gb_ macros.

gb_GbuildToJson_BLACKLISTEDMODULES := connectivity compilerplugins cli_ure dictionaries bridges helpcompiler helpcontent2 icon-themes jurt sal shell cppu cppuhelper cpputools extensions external i18npool javaunohelper lingucomponent odk scaddins solenv stoc tools translations udkapi unoidl

see core/solenv/gbuild/extensions/post_GbuildToJson.mk

We just started an Italian project to update vs2013-ide-integration and I will update xcode-ide-integration in parallel, this might cause that some blacklisted modules are activated.

Rgds
jan I.

Alex

Le 13/01/2017 à 17:07, Jan Iversen a écrit :

> Bjoern is the right person to ask, he declared a number of modules for
> blacklisted. Once reason could be if the module contains Java, another
> can be the makefiles are not using the standard gb_ macros.
>

> gb_GbuildToJson_BLACKLISTEDMODULES := connectivity compilerplugins
> cli_ure dictionaries bridges helpcompiler helpcontent2 icon-themes jurt
> sal shell cppu cppuhelper cpputools extensions external i18npool
> javaunohelper lingucomponent odk scaddins solenv stoc tools translations
> udkapi unoidl

That is unfortunate as it means that most of the database functionality
is excluded, including the bundled extensions and wizards (abpilot,
bibliography, dbpilots, spotlight/mdimporter), the external stuff :
reportbuilder, firebird, anything that relies on Java.

It is also a bit inconsistent, in that the module "forms" is included,
but without any database connectivity, it is probably not much use. Same
for reportdesign.

I imagine that that represents still quite a bit of work to achieve, so
good luck !

Alex

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 05:35:19PM +0100, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> That is unfortunate as it means that most of the database functionality
> is excluded, including the bundled extensions and wizards (abpilot,
> bibliography, dbpilots, spotlight/mdimporter), the external stuff :
> reportbuilder, firebird, anything that relies on Java.

Stuff wasnt excluded "because it was Java", but because these modules broke
gbuildtojson at some point on some platform. Some of the early breakers might
have been fixed as people improve gbuild/gbuildtojson elsewhere.

So, the first thing to do is: Remove the module you are interested in from the
blacklist and see if "cd $MODULE && make gbuildtojson" works for you locally.
If it does, upload to gerrit and verify with others that you are not breaking
other platforms in a horrible way (or remove the blacklisted module for your
platform only).

If the module still fails to complete gbuildtojson, it usually means it thinks
its a special snowflake and is allowed to do dirty tricks with manually created
dependencies etc.. In that case, the first thing to check is if those dirty
tricks are really needed and if there isnt a clean way to do the same. If that
is not possible gbuildtojson needs to be hacked to be adopted to those tricks.

> It is also a bit inconsistent, in that the module "forms" is included,
> but without any database connectivity, it is probably not much use. Same
> for reportdesign.

Not really: If low level modules do dirty tricks they need to be skipped. If
the higher-level modules do stuff in a clean way, they still can be handled
from IDEs.

Best,

Bjoern