Ninite.com

Florian Reisinger-2 Florian Reisinger-2

Ninite.com

I really believe I had a great idea last night!

In my view ninite.com is a really popular website.

Now it installs Open Office, but if we grab the chance, they would install
LibreOffice.

Personally, I think that this would increase our market range.

Someone with a @documentfoundation E-Mail address should mail them

[hidden email]

All the rest should suggest the app LibreOffice on this page

http://ninite.com/

(at the very bottom)

Florian Reisinger

C. Olofson C. Olofson

Re: Ninite.com

On 01/06/2011 01:18 AM, Florian Reisinger wrote:
> Someone with a @documentfoundation E-Mail address should mail them
>
> [hidden email]
>
> All the rest should suggest the app LibreOffice on this page
>
> http://ninite.com/

Good idea!

If I understand it correctly, this idea is related to announcing to all
"freeware" sites that LibreOffice will be available shortly.  Sites like
ninite, filehippo, etc, need to know about LibO.

For those who aren't familiar with ninite, it is a free-for-personal-use
service analogous to apt or yum in the Linux world (although it only
install & doesn't update).  There are some other sites which provide
this or auto-update features for the Windows world:

install services like ninite
http://allmyapps.com/      (requires registration)
http://www.freenew.net/

apt/yum app replacements
http://appsnap.genotrance.com/  (f/loss, also updates)
http://installpad.com/                    (roll-your-own via config file)

updaters
http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/

thanks.  I'm off to recommend LibO

-Craig

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Ninite.com

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Craig B. Olofson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 01/06/2011 01:18 AM, Florian Reisinger wrote:
>
>> Someone with a @documentfoundation E-Mail address should mail them
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> All the rest should suggest the app LibreOffice on this page
>>
>> http://ninite.com/
>>

> Good idea!
>
> If I understand it correctly, this idea is related to announcing to all
> "freeware" sites that LibreOffice will be available shortly.  Sites like
> ninite, filehippo, etc, need to know about LibO.
>
> For those who aren't familiar with ninite, it is a free-for-personal-use
> service analogous to apt or yum in the Linux world (although it only install
> & doesn't update).  There are some other sites which provide this or
> auto-update features for the Windows world:
>
> install services like ninite
> http://allmyapps.com/      (requires registration)
> http://www.freenew.net/
>
> apt/yum app replacements
> http://appsnap.genotrance.com/  (f/loss, also updates)
> http://installpad.com/                    (roll-your-own via config file)
>
> updaters
> http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/
>
> thanks.  I'm off to recommend LibO
>
> -Craig

Google has a similar service: Google Pack

http://pack.google.com

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Ninite.com

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Craig B. Olofson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 01/06/2011 01:18 AM, Florian Reisinger wrote:
>
>> Someone with a @documentfoundation E-Mail address should mail them
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> All the rest should suggest the app LibreOffice on this page
>>
>> http://ninite.com/
>>

> Good idea!
>
> If I understand it correctly, this idea is related to announcing to all
> "freeware" sites that LibreOffice will be available shortly.  Sites like
> ninite, filehippo, etc, need to know about LibO.
>
> For those who aren't familiar with ninite, it is a free-for-personal-use
> service analogous to apt or yum in the Linux world (although it only install
> & doesn't update).  There are some other sites which provide this or
> auto-update features for the Windows world:
>
> install services like ninite
> http://allmyapps.com/      (requires registration)
> http://www.freenew.net/
>
> apt/yum app replacements
> http://appsnap.genotrance.com/  (f/loss, also updates)
> http://installpad.com/                    (roll-your-own via config file)
>
> updaters
> http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/
>
> thanks.  I'm off to recommend LibO
>
> -Craig

Google has a similar service: Google Pack

http://pack.google.com

Tom Tom

Re: Ninite.com

Tiny Firewall used to do this by default.  It was an excellent firewall that
continues to provide really amazing protection despite a distinct lack of
updates since it got bought-out by one of the leading anti-malware companies.
It never needed updating and provided fairly rock-solid protection so people
didn't need to keep re-buying it, hence why it went broke.  Windows keeps
needing security updates and so people will keep needing to 'buy' security for
it.