No more desktop Linux systems in the German Foreign Office - The H Open Source: News and Features

samphan samphan

No more desktop Linux systems in the German Foreign Office - The H Open Source: News and Features

They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/No-more-desktop-Linux-systems-in-the-German-Foreign-Office-1191122.html

--
_/|\_ /Samphan Raruenrom./  Osdev - Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
/สัมพันธ์ ระรื่นรมย์./  โอเอสเด็บ - บริษัท โอเพนซอร์สดิเวลอปเมนต์ จำกัด

Irmhild Rogalla Irmhild Rogalla

Re: No more desktop Linux systems in the German Foreign Office - The H Open Source: News and Features

Hi,

Am 18.02.2011 07:16, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:
> They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?

It's a very specific German *party* political decision, against
consultants  (McKinsey) suggestions.

(see - in German language-
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Linux-im-Auswaertigen-Amt-Rueckmigration-auf-Windows-nicht-zwingend-1192284.html
and links there)

Short summary: McKinsey said (twice):
- open-source-strategy works
- Linux-Desktops are a "possible way" for office work
but
- problems with interoperability needs answer
- users prejudice needs education / training / intelligence [Aufklärung]
(I think, this is always the same worldwide ...)

But altogether it's very angrily.

regards
        Irmhild

Andor E Andor E

Re: No more desktop Linux systems in the German Foreign Office - The H Open Source: News and Features

Users prejudice needs intelligence, indeed :).

Olav Dahlum Olav Dahlum

On 18/02/11 09:01, Irmhild Rogalla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 18.02.2011 07:16, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:
>> They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?
>
> It's a very specific German *party* political decision, against
> consultants  (McKinsey) suggestions.
>
> (see - in German language-
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Linux-im-Auswaertigen-Amt-Rueckmigration-auf-Windows-nicht-zwingend-1192284.html
> and links there)
>
> Short summary: McKinsey said (twice):
> - open-source-strategy works
> - Linux-Desktops are a "possible way" for office work
> but
> - problems with interoperability needs answer
> - users prejudice needs education / training / intelligence [Aufklärung]
> (I think, this is always the same worldwide ...)
>
> But altogether it's very angrily.
>
> regards
>     Irmhild

You know how it is... They prostitute themselves to the first salesman who
approaches them. You don't strengthen German (or any country) innovation
by shipping all the money abroad the Atlantic Ocean...

Regards,
Olav

Gordon Burgess-Parker Gordon Burgess-Parker

On 18/02/11 06:16, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
> They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?

Apparently it was all to do (!) with printer and scanner
drivers....methinks there has been some MS shenanigans here...

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/2/18 Gordon Burgess-Parker <[hidden email]>

> On 18/02/11 06:16, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
>
>> They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?
>>

> Apparently it was all to do (!) with printer and scanner
> drivers....methinks there has been some MS shenanigans here...

I suspect that Herr Westerwelle has been borged....

Henri

On 18/02/11 17:58, M Henri Day wrote:

> 2011/2/18 Gordon Burgess-Parker<[hidden email]>
>
>> On 18/02/11 06:16, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
>>
>>> They're moving back from Linux to Windows+Office! What's happening there?
>>>
>> Apparently it was all to do (!) with printer and scanner
>> drivers....methinks there has been some MS shenanigans here...
>
> I suspect that Herr Westerwelle has been borged....
>
> Henri

ROTFL!