No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

Malcolm Moore Malcolm Moore

No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

If I try and upgrade or install practically any version on a 32 bit Windows 7

domain joined machine it doesn't work. The 'copying files' bit lasts

about 1 second and then it says it has installed but it didn't do anything.

I am logged in as the domain administrator.

What am I forgetting  ?

Ta

Mal

TomD TomD

Re: No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

Hi :)
It 'should' be very easy and straight forwards.  What you are already doing
'should' have done the job already.  It has worked that way on plenty of
other machines.

Perhaps defrag, disk-clean, run updates or something to see if something
shakes loose - ie to make sure you really do have permissions and space on
the drive and that the drive is ok etc.  I can't really imagine that any of
those things are really the issue but it wouldn't hurt to be certain.

On 18 Jul 2017 12:14, "malcolm moore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I try and upgrade or install practically any version on a 32 bit
> Windows 7
>
> domain joined machine it doesn't work. The 'copying files' bit lasts
>
> about 1 second and then it says it has installed but it didn't do anything.
>
> I am logged in as the domain administrator.
>

> What am I forgetting  ?
>

> Ta
>

> Mal

Pedro Pedro

Re: No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

Malcolm Moore wrote

Is the domain administrator included in the Administrators Group for this particular machine?
TomD TomD

Re: No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

Hi :)
Brilliant!

I thought the whole thing about domains was a red herring but Malcolm needs
to be a local admin on that specific machine.  It sounds sensible to avoid
letting a "domain admin" also be an admin on any local machine for security
reasons.

On 18 Jul 2017 14:33, "Pedro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Malcolm Moore wrote
> I am logged in as the domain administrator.
>
> What am I forgetting  ?

Is the domain administrator included in the Administrators Group for this
particular machine?

deleted

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 7/18/2017, 12:43:29 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi :)
> Brilliant!
>
> I thought the whole thing about domains was a red herring but Malcolm needs
> to be a local admin on that specific machine.  It sounds sensible to avoid
> letting a "domain admin" also be an admin on any local machine for security
> reasons.

Actually, this is wrong.

When you join a machine to a domain, the 'Domain Admins' group is
automatically added to the Local Administrators group on the computer
that was joined. It has been this way forever (as long as I can
remember), and is extremely useful, and is simply not a 'security issue'
as you suggest.

Pedro Pedro

Re: No version install on a Windows 7 domain joined machine

Tanstaafl wrote
When you join a machine to a domain, the 'Domain Admins' group is
automatically added to the Local Administrators group on the computer
that was joined. It has been this way forever (as long as I can
remember), and is extremely useful, and is simply not a 'security issue'
as you suggest.
Actually that is not true. At my workplace I have to manually add the domain admin to the PC's admin group on each computer.

Maybe some setting was misconfigured by our IT but my point is you should not assume everything everywhere works as you think it does.

Actually the OP already confirmed that the domain admin is also a local admin so this could be a Windows 7 x86 specific bug (I have no problems with any version of LibreOffice x64 on Windows 7 x64).
Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 7/19/2017, 11:57:57 AM, Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote
>> When you join a machine to a domain, the 'Domain Admins' group is
>> automatically added to the Local Administrators group on the computer
>> that was joined. It has been this way forever (as long as I can
>> remember), and is extremely useful, and is simply not a 'security issue'
>> as you suggest.
>
> Actually that is not true.

Actually, yes it is.

> At my workplace I have to manually add the domain admin to the PC's
> admin group on each computer
I didn't say it added a 'Domain Admin' user, I said it adds the 'Domain
Admins' GROUP (so that any member of that group automatically gets local
admin rights on the PC when logging in).

I leverage this behavior in my domain to allow me to quickly allow
certain users to have Local Admin privileges by defining a 'Local
Admins' group, and also adding that Group to the local 'Administrators'
group on the PC when it is joined. Then all I have to do is add a user
to that group, and they automatically get Local Admin Rights on their
workstation.

Caveat: you must be careful, because by default, lots of network shares
automatically assign the 'Administrators' Group with full access, and a
bug in Windows doesn't differentiate between the DOMAIN 'Administrators
group and the LOCAL PC 'Administrators' group.

> Maybe some setting was misconfigured by our IT

Since this is the default, then yes, something is broken for your domain
- whether accidental, or some misguided 'admin' wannabe decided to be
'clever' and disable this essential/default behavior.

> but my point is you should not assume everything everywhere works as
> you think it does.

Actually, it make perfect sense to ass-u-me that a system is functioning
correctly, so that someone can learn that it isn't, just as you have now
learned in this discussion.