North America Pub Chat

Next » 12
jmadero jmadero

North America Pub Chat

Hi All,

I hope this email finds everyone doing well. I would like to propose
another North America QA pub chat (this time I may even bring a beer) for
next Friday (the 11th) at the same time (12:00pm EST). If we can get at
least 5 people I think it's worth catching up, see what everyone has been
up to, get an update from Robinson's trip to Milan (yes, Robinson went to
the conference in Milan....he'll make sure to rub it in our face about how
amazing it was), and anything else that comes to mind.

Like always this chat is open to everyone, just the time is set up so that
it's functional for us in North America to make without having to wake up
at 5am.

If you're interested please respond letting me know so that I can get a
head count. If it reaches 5, Robinson and I will work on a tentative agenda
but I'd like this one to be more interactive than the last :)

All the Best,
Joel

--
*Joel Madero*
LibreOffice QA Volunteer

jmadero jmadero

Re: North America Pub Chat

Hi All,

So far I've gotten no interest in this at all (which is unfortunate). If
I don't get at least a few responses by Wednesday I' going to call it
off (as it's really just not worth it if we don't have minimum of 4
preferably 5-6). It would be really nice to get a North American team
consistently contributing as right now Europe dominates the contributor
side and IMHO it looks bad for us in North America to be using the
product but not contributing something in return as FLOSS software
really depends on a community, a give and take relationship. Really 1
hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.

All the best,
Joel

On 09/30/2013 07:45 AM, Joel Madero wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I hope this email finds everyone doing well. I would like to propose
> another North America QA pub chat (this time I may even bring a beer)
> for next Friday (the 11th) at the same time (12:00pm EST). If we can
> get at least 5 people I think it's worth catching up, see what
> everyone has been up to, get an update from Robinson's trip to Milan
> (yes, Robinson went to the conference in Milan....he'll make sure to
> rub it in our face about how amazing it was), and anything else that
> comes to mind.
>
> Like always this chat is open to everyone, just the time is set up so
> that it's functional for us in North America to make without having to
> wake up at 5am.
>
> If you're interested please respond letting me know so that I can get
> a head count. If it reaches 5, Robinson and I will work on a tentative
> agenda but I'd like this one to be more interactive than the last :)
>

> All the Best,
> Joel
>
> --
> *Joel Madero*
> LibreOffice QA Volunteer

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: North America Pub Chat

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:44:53AM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:

> So far I've gotten no interest in this at all (which is
> unfortunate). If I don't get at least a few responses by Wednesday
> I' going to call it off (as it's really just not worth it if we
> don't have minimum of 4 preferably 5-6). It would be really nice to
> get a North American team consistently contributing as right now
> Europe dominates the contributor side and IMHO it looks bad for us
> in North America to be using the product but not contributing
> something in return as FLOSS software really depends on a community,
> a give and take relationship. Really 1 hour a month is enough time
> to give back a bit.

Hi,

I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point out the time
in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm EST" is
ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?

Best,

Bjoern

James Michael DuPont James Michael DuPont

Re: North America Pub Chat

Howdy,
I am on CST (*UTC/GMT -5 hours) *and work full time. As a volunteer I would
be willing to chat any time outside of my normal 8-6
thanks
mike

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM, bjoern <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:44:53AM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> > So far I've gotten no interest in this at all (which is
> > unfortunate). If I don't get at least a few responses by Wednesday
> > I' going to call it off (as it's really just not worth it if we
> > don't have minimum of 4 preferably 5-6). It would be really nice to
> > get a North American team consistently contributing as right now
> > Europe dominates the contributor side and IMHO it looks bad for us
> > in North America to be using the product but not contributing
> > something in return as FLOSS software really depends on a community,
> > a give and take relationship. Really 1 hour a month is enough time
> > to give back a bit.
>
> Hi,
>
> I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point out the
> time
> in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm EST" is
> ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?
>
> Best,
>
> Bjoern

jmadero jmadero

Re: North America Pub Chat

Definitely willing to move the time around. So maybe we need to first
see who would theoretically like to make it and then we can discuss a
specific time? I'm also a full time law student so my schedule is a
bit...chaotic, but I'll do whatever I can to continue trying to build a
solid North American base.

So, any other people who would be interested but the Friday afternoon
time doesn't work?

Best,
Joel

On 10/07/2013 09:56 AM, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Howdy,
> I am on CST (*UTC/GMT -5 hours) *and work full time. As a volunteer I
> would be willing to chat any time outside of my normal 8-6
> thanks
> mike
>

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM, bjoern
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:44:53AM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
>     > So far I've gotten no interest in this at all (which is
>     > unfortunate). If I don't get at least a few responses by Wednesday
>     > I' going to call it off (as it's really just not worth it if we
>     > don't have minimum of 4 preferably 5-6). It would be really nice to
>     > get a North American team consistently contributing as right now
>     > Europe dominates the contributor side and IMHO it looks bad for us
>     > in North America to be using the product but not contributing
>     > something in return as FLOSS software really depends on a community,
>     > a give and take relationship. Really 1 hour a month is enough time
>     > to give back a bit.
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point
>     out the time
>     in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm
>     EST" is
>     ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?
>
>     Best,
>
>     Bjoern

jmadero jmadero

Re: North America Pub Chat

hip. Really 1 hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.
> Hi,
>
> I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point out the time
> in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm EST" is
> ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?

Sure, apologies for that :)

So for North America (or at least United States) we have:
PST (GMT - 7)
MDT (GMT -6)
CST (GMT - 5)
EST (GMT - 4)

Once I get a head count of who theoretically would be interested if the
time was right, we can start discussing what specific time will work and
I'll make sure to do the conversion to GMT :) As of now it looks like
1200 (1900 GMT) on Friday isn't going to work as there just doesn't seem
to be availability/interest.

All the best,
Joel

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: North America Pub Chat

Well, some people do not use "Chat" often, like me.

Of course, I do not tend to be up that late as well, since I tend to be
awake at about 5am no matter what time I go to bed.

Well, I have to go back and deal with some local "stuff" here in New
York State.

On 10/07/2013 10:44 AM, Joel Madero wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So far I've gotten no interest in this at all (which is unfortunate).
> If I don't get at least a few responses by Wednesday I' going to call
> it off (as it's really just not worth it if we don't have minimum of 4
> preferably 5-6). It would be really nice to get a North American team
> consistently contributing as right now Europe dominates the
> contributor side and IMHO it looks bad for us in North America to be
> using the product but not contributing something in return as FLOSS
> software really depends on a community, a give and take relationship.
> Really 1 hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.
>
> All the best,
> Joel
>
> On 09/30/2013 07:45 AM, Joel Madero wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I hope this email finds everyone doing well. I would like to propose
>> another North America QA pub chat (this time I may even bring a beer)
>> for next Friday (the 11th) at the same time (12:00pm EST). If we can
>> get at least 5 people I think it's worth catching up, see what
>> everyone has been up to, get an update from Robinson's trip to Milan
>> (yes, Robinson went to the conference in Milan....he'll make sure to
>> rub it in our face about how amazing it was), and anything else that
>> comes to mind.
>>
>> Like always this chat is open to everyone, just the time is set up so
>> that it's functional for us in North America to make without having
>> to wake up at 5am.
>>
>> If you're interested please respond letting me know so that I can get
>> a head count. If it reaches 5, Robinson and I will work on a
>> tentative agenda but I'd like this one to be more interactive than
>> the last :)
>>

>> All the Best,
>> Joel
>>
>> --
>> *Joel Madero*
>> LibreOffice QA Volunteer

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Re: North America Pub Chat

Actually, that time zone chart is not quite accurate.  The differences
are correct for daylight time, but not for standard time.

PST (GMT/UCT - 8)
MST (GMT/UCT - 7)
CST (GMT/UCT - 6)
EST (GMT/UCT - 5)

PDT (GMT/UCT - 7)
MDT (GMT/UCT - 6)
CDT (GMT/UCT - 5)
EDT (GMT/UCT - 4)

And, of course, our daylight (summer) time has to be different from the
rest of the world.  We start earlier and end later than the European
countries, so the difference from another given time zone isn't constant.

Dave

On 10/7/2013 10:30, Joel Madero wrote:

> hip. Really 1 hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.
>> Hi,
>>
>> I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point
>> out the time
>> in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm
>> EST" is
>> ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?
>
> Sure, apologies for that :)
>
> So for North America (or at least United States) we have:
> PST (GMT - 7)
> MDT (GMT -6)
> CST (GMT - 5)
> EST (GMT - 4)
>
> Once I get a head count of who theoretically would be interested if
> the time was right, we can start discussing what specific time will
> work and I'll make sure to do the conversion to GMT :) As of now it
> looks like 1200 (1900 GMT) on Friday isn't going to work as there just
> doesn't seem to be availability/interest.
>
> All the best,
> Joel

James Knott James Knott

Re: North America Pub Chat

Dave Liesse wrote:
> And, of course, our daylight (summer) time has to be different from
> the rest of the world.  We start earlier and end later than the
> European countries

And different again from the Southern Hemisphere, where they're wrong by
6 months..  ;-)

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: North America Pub Chat

Why not do a doodle it will make things easy for you to determine day and
time.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hip. Really 1 hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also point out
>> the time
>> in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like "12:00pm EST" is
>> ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?
>>

> Sure, apologies for that :)
>
> So for North America (or at least United States) we have:
> PST (GMT - 7)
> MDT (GMT -6)
> CST (GMT - 5)
> EST (GMT - 4)
>
> Once I get a head count of who theoretically would be interested if the
> time was right, we can start discussing what specific time will work and
> I'll make sure to do the conversion to GMT :) As of now it looks like 1200
> (1900 GMT) on Friday isn't going to work as there just doesn't seem to be
> availability/interest.
>
> All the best,
> Joel

Jonathan Aquilina

jmadero jmadero

Re: North America Pub Chat

Because it's a waste of time until we get enough people saying they are
at least interested. I've done doodles before and it's only worth it
when there is pre-commitment to the idea of having a meeting.

Best,
Joel

On 10/11/2013 03:43 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> Why not do a doodle it will make things easy for you to determine day
> and time.
>

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     hip. Really 1 hour a month is enough time to give back a bit.
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I dont know if I can make it this Friday, but could you also
>         point out the time
>         in UTC too? For a continental european guest a time like
>         "12:00pm EST" is
>         ultimately confusing -- is that 0000EST or 2400EST?
>

>     Sure, apologies for that :)
>
>     So for North America (or at least United States) we have:
>     PST (GMT - 7)
>     MDT (GMT -6)
>     CST (GMT - 5)
>     EST (GMT - 4)
>
>     Once I get a head count of who theoretically would be interested
>     if the time was right, we can start discussing what specific time
>     will work and I'll make sure to do the conversion to GMT :) As of
>     now it looks like 1200 (1900 GMT) on Friday isn't going to work as
>     there just doesn't seem to be availability/interest.
>
>     All the best,
>     Joel

> Jonathan Aquilina

jmadero jmadero

North America Touching Basis

Hi All!

This is just touching basis with the North America team as it's been
awhile since we've all had time to talk. The chat has been a little
quiet lately, I'm sure everyone is busy but wanted to say hello and to
wish everyone a belated happy new year.

Hope all is well with everyone and that perhaps we'll see you around on
FDO, IRC or the mailing list.

All the best,
Joel

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: North America Touching Basis

[cc'ing US-marketing list]

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> This is just touching basis with the North America team as it's been
> awhile since we've all had time to talk. The chat has been a little
> quiet lately, I'm sure everyone is busy but wanted to say hello and to
> wish everyone a belated happy new year.
>
> Hope all is well with everyone and that perhaps we'll see you around on
> FDO, IRC or the mailing list.

Thanks for the ping, Joel!

Given the size of the US, Canada, and Mexico, it's a little difficult
for us all to meet-up in one place. I hope that over the next few
months some of us will have the opportunity to meet up with other
contributors for drinks or a bite to eat and (perhaps) do a little
planning for where we'd like to see our NA community in the coming
years :-)

I'll be in Los Angeles for SCALE 12x (Feb 18th - 26), in Boston for
LibrePlanet (March 21-23), and Portland (OR) for OSCON in July, and
would love to meet up with other contributors. Just email me and let
me know when/where you'll be available, and I'll do my best to show
up!

Cheers,
--R

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: North America Touching Basis

       Pacific coast then Atlantic coast then Pacific coast -
           yet there's a couple thousand miles in between;
       seems to me, if you really wanted our participation - and help,
financial & otherwise - you'd meet somewhere in between ... ... ...  ;-)

From: Robinson Tryon <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: North America Touching Basis
To: Joel Madero <[hidden email]>
Cc: Libreoffice-qa <[hidden email]>, libreoffice-dev <
[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <
[hidden email]>, Ken Biondi <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email], Joe Lee <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]>

jmadero jmadero

On 01/29/2014 11:38 AM, anne-ology wrote:
>        Pacific coast then Atlantic coast then Pacific coast -
>            yet there's a couple thousand miles in between;
>        seems to me, if you really wanted our participation - and help,
> financial & otherwise - you'd meet somewhere in between ... ... ...  ;-)
Well the reality is the population density is on the coasts (for the
most part) so events happen on the coasts.

Best,
Joel

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak Andrew Douglas Pitonyak

On 01/29/2014 04:35 PM, Joel Madero wrote:

> On 01/29/2014 11:38 AM, anne-ology wrote:
>>         Pacific coast then Atlantic coast then Pacific coast -
>>             yet there's a couple thousand miles in between;
>>         seems to me, if you really wanted our participation - and help,
>> financial & otherwise - you'd meet somewhere in between ... ... ...  ;-)
> Well the reality is the population density is on the coasts (for the
> most part) so events happen on the coasts.
>
> Best,
> Joel

But the Largest US Cities are generally not on the coast (which does not
make your statement wrong).

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4 Houston
5 Philadelphia
6, Phoenix
7. San Antonio

In fact, if I list the top 20, there is a very small number on the coast.

There is a large "tech" population in California, I will give you that
much.

If you want to hit the largest population (east coast) with the smallest
average travel distance, you pick the middle of Ohio (Columbus, Ohio).

I think that what you really want is:

1. Easy / cheap air fare to the location
2. Affordable lodging and food

What I have not bothered to figure out if (1) means you want to choose
an airline's hub city, which increases the odds that you will have a
direct flight, or, if you want a city that is not a hub since the
airline often charges more for direct flights. I remember considering
leaving from Detroit Michigan to fly to Florida, but, it was cheaper for
me to use a connector into Detroit before getting on that same flight to
Florida.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

jmadero jmadero

Re: North America Touching Basis

> But the Largest US Cities are generally not on the coast (which does
> not make your statement wrong).
>
> 1. New York City
> 2. Los Angeles
> 3. Chicago
> 4 Houston
> 5 Philadelphia
> 6, Phoenix
> 7. San Antonio
Sure if there are events happening that we can attend please let us
know. The reality is that once a contributor wants to get together - we
try to get a sense of where the current contributors want to meet. The
reality is, we have an uphill battle gaining contributors in the United
States (testers, marketing, developers, etc...). Robinson and I dedicate
a tremendous amount of time trying to build a community in the US --
funny enough, this "debate" is perhaps the most "alive" I've seen North
America user base :) Which, I'm glad to know you all are out there.
Please join our teams :) We would be beyond happy to have you aboard and
then we can discuss options to meet in person.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa

I'm partial to QA team ;)

Best,
Joel

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: North America Touching Basis

       Do you happen to know where most of those studied before moving to
the HQs of Apple or MsFt or IBM ... ... ...
            do you happen to know that California is on the brink of
financial bankruptcy as is NYC; as well as numerous coastal cities,
                yet the mid-section is economically sounder, the
institutions of learning, and other industries, are researching & producing
... ... ...

       but the news media has been promoting the coastal areas - the
question is why?;
            since the mid-sections have thinkers, innovators, ... where the
coastal cities have excessively high prices for lodgings, food, housing,
... ... ...

       Therefore, by situating your meeting somewhere along the Mississippi
River, it would be easier reached by all, your money would be better spent,
the discussions would be of higher quality, ... ... ...
            but by situating your meeting along the coasts, you'll be
missing out on meeting these thinkers for 1 very logical reason: many of us
do not care to waste money paying the exhorbitant prices that now exist
along the coasts - for instance which is sounder? - to spend $500/night or
/week or /2 weeks?

From: Joel Madero <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM
To: anne-ology <[hidden email]>, Robinson Tryon <
[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

On 01/29/2014 11:38 AM, anne-ology wrote:

>        Pacific coast then Atlantic coast then Pacific coast -
>            yet there's a couple thousand miles in between;
>        seems to me, if you really wanted our participation - and help,
> financial & otherwise - you'd meet somewhere in between ... ... ...  ;-)

Well the reality is the population density is on the coasts (for the
most part) so events happen on the coasts.

Best,
Joel

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: North America Touching Basis

       Andrew, well said.

       Joel, ... [see my comments below, interspersed within Andrew's]

From: Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM
To: [hidden email]

On 01/29/2014 04:35 PM, Joel Madero wrote:

 On 01/29/2014 11:38 AM, anne-ology wrote:

>>         Pacific coast then Atlantic coast then Pacific coast -
>>             yet there's a couple thousand miles in between;
>>         seems to me, if you really wanted our participation - and help,
>> financial & otherwise - you'd meet somewhere in between ... ... ...  ;-)
>>

>  Well the reality is the population density is on the coasts (for the
> most part) so events happen on the coasts.
>
> Best,
> Joel

But the Largest US Cities are generally not on the coast (which does not
make your statement wrong).

1. New York City   [is on the verge of bankruptcy; prices are sky-high]
2. Los Angeles   [is on the verge of bankruptcy; prices are sky-high -
crime is rampant]
3. Chicago   [crime is rampant]
4 Houston  [this area is continually growing; now population exceeds other
areas]
5 Philadelphia  [or Pittsburgh, or Indianapolis, Indiana, or Columbus,
Ohio, or Nashville, Tennessee, or St. Louis, Missouri, or the Gulf of
Mexico coastline - Texas to Florida would be good choices - have
institutions of learning nearby, scenic areas for tours, good, wholesome
food reasonably priced, good,quality lodging reasonably priced, easy access
to airports & public transportation systems]
6, Phoenix  [somewhat similar to #5 above yet climate better but more
elderly citizenry]
7. San Antonio [somewhat similar to Houston & Phoenix]

In fact, if I list the top 20, there is a very small number on the coast.

There is a large "tech" population in California, I will give you that
much.  [ditto in those I've listed in #5 - in fact, south Mississippi has
more technological training than nearly anywhere.]

If you want to hit the largest population (east coast) with the smallest
average travel distance, you pick the middle of Ohio (Columbus, Ohio).

I think that what you really want is:

1. Easy / cheap air fare to the location  [then you don't want to go to the
coastal areas when the mid-section rates are far more economical]
2. Affordable lodging and food    [then you don't want to go to the coastal
areas when the mid-section rates are far more economical with better
quality]

jmadero jmadero

On 01/29/2014 05:07 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>        Andrew, well said.
>
>        Joel, ... [see my comments below, interspersed within Andrew's]
Um honestly I don't have the time. Sorry but first line made me realize
how far off point this is getting.

All in all, this is about the project and whatever it takes to build the
project in North America. If you or anyone else wants to try to have a
conference/meet and greet somewhere feel free to lead the charge.

All the best,
Joel

Next » 12