North America QA Online Chat

jmadero jmadero

North America QA Online Chat

Hi All,

So it looks like we have at least 5 people from North America who are
interested in participating so I say let's do it.

I think Friday, August 2nd at 15:00 (EST) seems to work for everyone but
please correct me if I'm wrong. Do we prefer IRC or make it a bit more
personal with Google Hangout and we can get a talkyoo line open ? I
prefer the latter but if everyone just wants to chat that sounds good.

So tentatively:

Date: August 2nd, 2013
Time: 1500 (EST) so for those on the west coast we're talking Noon :) If
I must I'll translate that to GMT/UTC but....I seem to get that wrong
often ;)

@Robinson - can we get a tentative agenda going - you and I can give an
update and maybe get a few things together that we could use help with -
see if we can get some volunteers to help us with some of the load :)

For anyone thinking about joining - please do - we're a friendly bunch,
if we could pop open a beer in a pub and do it live we would but
distance prevents this so as a second best.... feel free to have a beer
on hangout, it'll be casual ;)

Warm Regards,
Joel

Joe Lee Joe Lee

Re: North America QA Online Chat

The date and time works for me.

If I recall correctly, Google Hangout requires nonfree software, so
let's use IRC instead, or perhaps Jitsi or Ekiga if we can all get one
of those working?

-Joe Lee

jmadero jmadero

On 07/27/2013 05:34 PM, Joe Lee wrote:

> The date and time works for me.
>
> If I recall correctly, Google Hangout requires nonfree software, so
> let's use IRC instead, or perhaps Jitsi or Ekiga if we can all get one
> of those working?
>
> -Joe Lee
>

> On 07/27/2013 05:11 PM, Joel Madero wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So it looks like we have at least 5 people from North America who are
>> interested in participating so I say let's do it.
>>
>> I think Friday, August 2nd at 15:00 (EST) seems to work for everyone
>> but please correct me if I'm wrong. Do we prefer IRC or make it a bit
>> more personal with Google Hangout and we can get a talkyoo line open ?
>> I prefer the latter but if everyone just wants to chat that sounds good.
>>
>> So tentatively:
>>
>> Date: August 2nd, 2013
>> Time: 1500 (EST) so for those on the west coast we're talking Noon :)
>> If I must I'll translate that to GMT/UTC but....I seem to get that
>> wrong often ;)
>>
>> @Robinson - can we get a tentative agenda going - you and I can give
>> an update and maybe get a few things together that we could use help
>> with - see if we can get some volunteers to help us with some of the
>> load :)
>>

>> For anyone thinking about joining - please do - we're a friendly
>> bunch, if we could pop open a beer in a pub and do it live we would
>> but distance prevents this so as a second best.... feel free to have a
>> beer on hangout, it'll be casual ;)
>>

>> Warm Regards,
>> Joel
Well with hangout I can call talkyoo which is our conference call phone
line so you could use a cell phone or landline to call in - is this
acceptable? I'm not as much as a stickler about non free software since
google has put in the effort to make it run on so many platforms + pays
for interns to work GSoC on our project - I give them some slack ;) Plus
Google hangout is quite cool in general, we use it for LibreOffice on
multiple different committees and what not.

But if this isn't acceptable, IRC is fine - just a lot slower and room
for misunderstanding.

If you can call a US phone number for free, talkyoo is pretty nice so we
could couple hangout with talkyoo and avoid you being forced to use
closed source software.

Let me know.

Best,
Joel

Joe Lee Joe Lee

On 07/27/2013 05:55 PM, Joel Madero wrote:
> Well with hangout I can call talkyoo which is our conference call
> phone line so you could use a cell phone or landline to call in - is
> this acceptable?

Sure, I'll call in by phone. Thanks for understanding. Can someone send
me the number?

-Joe

Mas/_gemini Mas/_gemini

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Joe Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/27/2013 05:55 PM, Joel Madero wrote:
> > Well with hangout I can call talkyoo which is our conference call
> > phone line so you could use a cell phone or landline to call in - is
> > this acceptable?
>
> Sure, I'll call in by phone. Thanks for understanding. Can someone send
> me the number?
>
> -Joe

Google hangout sound good to me and 1500 EST is perfect also.  For those
looking to dial in you can find the dial in numbers at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Talkyoo

Mas

James Knott James Knott

Joe Lee wrote:
> If I recall correctly, Google Hangout requires nonfree software, so
> let's use IRC instead, or perhaps Jitsi or Ekiga if we can all get one
> of those working?

No.  It just requires a browser and a GMail account.  You can even use a
tablet or smart phone with appropriate free app.  You can also have a
video chat, with up to 16 participants, IIRC.

James Knott James Knott

Joel Madero wrote:

> I think that free app is closed source though ;)

There's nothing to stop you from using Firefox or other browser. Those
dedicated apps are for phones and tablets.

jmadero jmadero

On 07/28/2013 09:25 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Joel Madero wrote:
>>
>> I think that free app is closed source though ;)
>>

> There's nothing to stop you from using Firefox or other browser. Those
> dedicated apps are for phones and tablets.

Should have replied all on this :)

To use it on Firefox or the like you still have to install a third party
add on through Google - a stock firefox install will not do video or
voice and when you go to Google+ it'll ask you to install this add on -
which is definitely closed source. For more info:
https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

So for anyone that this is an issue - phone is an option - Google
supports LibreOffice quite a bit - possibly most notably through GSoC
where they pay students to help get involved with the project - so
personally, I use Google extensively and have no qualms about it but I
know others are different.

Best,
Joel

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So it looks like we have at least 5 people from North America who are
> interested in participating so I say let's do it.

nifty!

> Date: August 2nd, 2013
> Time: 1500 (EST) so for those on the west coast we're talking Noon :) If I
> must I'll translate that to GMT/UTC but....I seem to get that wrong often ;)

Well 1300GMT is 9 here, so 1500EST is later-o-clock GMT, right?

> @Robinson - can we get a tentative agenda going - you and I can give an
> update and maybe get a few things together that we could use help with - see
> if we can get some volunteers to help us with some of the load :)

Yep, yep.

Agenda:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Meetings/2013/August_02_NA_Pub_Chat

> For anyone thinking about joining - please do - we're a friendly bunch, if
> we could pop open a beer in a pub and do it live we would but distance
> prevents this so as a second best.... feel free to have a beer on hangout,
> it'll be casual ;)

Page appropriately themed...

--R

krackedpress krackedpress

On 07/28/2013 03:50 PM, Robinson Tryon wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So it looks like we have at least 5 people from North America who are
>> interested in participating so I say let's do it.
> nifty!
>
>> Date: August 2nd, 2013
>> Time: 1500 (EST) so for those on the west coast we're talking Noon :) If I
>> must I'll translate that to GMT/UTC but....I seem to get that wrong often ;)
> Well 1300GMT is 9 here, so 1500EST is later-o-clock GMT, right?
>
>> @Robinson - can we get a tentative agenda going - you and I can give an
>> update and maybe get a few things together that we could use help with - see
>> if we can get some volunteers to help us with some of the load :)
> Yep, yep.
>
> Agenda:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Meetings/2013/August_02_NA_Pub_Chat
>
>> For anyone thinking about joining - please do - we're a friendly bunch, if
>> we could pop open a beer in a pub and do it live we would but distance
>> prevents this so as a second best.... feel free to have a beer on hangout,
>> it'll be casual ;)
> Page appropriately themed...
>
> --R

AlthoughI am in the USA, I do not know if I would be a part of the "chat".

I am not a developer and I have noreal skill in promoting developers to
be part of the LO system.

I do support the "cause" and do what I can towards that.  But any live
chat is not something I will do, since after 3 strokes it is hard to
type quickly.  It can take 10-20 minutes to just type an email to people
that is only a few paragraph long.

Video chatting never worked on my end, though I have tried.

jmadero jmadero

On 07/28/2013 05:32 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> On 07/28/2013 03:50 PM, Robinson Tryon wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Joel Madero <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> So it looks like we have at least 5 people from North America who are
>>> interested in participating so I say let's do it.
>> nifty!
>>
>>> Date: August 2nd, 2013
>>> Time: 1500 (EST) so for those on the west coast we're talking Noon
>>> :) If I
>>> must I'll translate that to GMT/UTC but....I seem to get that wrong
>>> often ;)
>> Well 1300GMT is 9 here, so 1500EST is later-o-clock GMT, right?
>>
>>> @Robinson - can we get a tentative agenda going - you and I can give an
>>> update and maybe get a few things together that we could use help
>>> with - see
>>> if we can get some volunteers to help us with some of the load :)
>> Yep, yep.
>>
>> Agenda:
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Meetings/2013/August_02_NA_Pub_Chat
>>

>>> For anyone thinking about joining - please do - we're a friendly
>>> bunch, if
>>> we could pop open a beer in a pub and do it live we would but distance
>>> prevents this so as a second best.... feel free to have a beer on
>>> hangout,
>>> it'll be casual ;)
>> Page appropriately themed...
>>
>> --R
>>

> AlthoughI am in the USA, I do not know if I would be a part of the
> "chat".
>
> I am not a developer and I have noreal skill in promoting developers
> to be part of the LO system.
>
> I do support the "cause" and do what I can towards that.  But any live
> chat is not something I will do, since after 3 strokes it is hard to
> type quickly.  It can take 10-20 minutes to just type an email to
> people that is only a few paragraph long.
>
> Video chatting never worked on my end, though I have tried.

This is not a developer chat at all - I have very very limited skills in
terms of development - Quality Assurance is about testing the product,
managing bugzilla and providing a medium for which user
complaints/suggestions reach developers. So I encourage you to join -
I've seen you quite often on the user channel and you are very very
helpful and known in the community - if you have the time please call in
to talkyoo with a cell phone or landline.

Best,
Joel

On 07/28/2013 08:54 PM, Joel Madero wrote:

> On 07/28/2013 05:32 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>> On 07/28/2013 03:50 PM, Robinson Tryon wrote:

>>> nifty!

>>> Well 1300GMT is 9 here, so 1500EST is later-o-clock GMT, right?

>>> Yep, yep.
>>>
>>> Agenda:
>>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Meetings/2013/August_02_NA_Pub_Chat

>>> Page appropriately themed...
>>>
>>> --R
>>>

>> AlthoughI am in the USA, I do not know if I would be a part of the
>> "chat".
>>
>> I am not a developer and I have noreal skill in promoting developers
>> to be part of the LO system.
>>
>> I do support the "cause" and do what I can towards that.  But any
>> live chat is not something I will do, since after 3 strokes it is
>> hard to type quickly.  It can take 10-20 minutes to just type an
>> email to people that is only a few paragraph long.
>>
>> Video chatting never worked on my end, though I have tried.
>>

> This is not a developer chat at all - I have very very limited skills
> in terms of development - Quality Assurance is about testing the
> product, managing bugzilla and providing a medium for which user
> complaints/suggestions reach developers. So I encourage you to join -
> I've seen you quite often on the user channel and you are very very
> helpful and known in the community - if you have the time please call
> in to talkyoo with a cell phone or landline.
>

> Best,
> Joel

Sorry, but that was what I got when I first saw the emails.  You wanted
to get more people on this side of the pond involved in developing LO
and other open source packages.

"on the user channel"?
Do you mean the email lists? If not, then I do not know who it would be,
since I rarely use "chat" for anything, along with Twitter or Facebook.

To be honest, I am not comfortable calling in an "talkyou" or any live
option. After 3 strokes, it can be difficult sometimes to get the
"proper words out". When I am face to face, using a wheeled-walker or
wheelchair, people are more "understanding" when I have troubles with my
speech pattern.  They are more willing to "wait" for me to get the words
out, than most people I have dealt with over the phone lines.  That is
why I do most of my communicating via email where I can pause for the
words and/or edit them so I get the meaning of the words out even if not
all the "right" words.

To be honest, some days I can barely speak "understandably" and/or type
3 letters in a row correctly[let alone the needed words].  That is what
I have to deal with, and am very lucky that I have that much, since I
lost a lot of my memory with the 1st and 2nd of the 3 strokes.

jmadero jmadero

On 07/29/2013 04:42 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> On 07/28/2013 08:54 PM, Joel Madero wrote:

>>> AlthoughI am in the USA, I do not know if I would be a part of the
>>> "chat".
>>>
>>> I am not a developer and I have noreal skill in promoting developers
>>> to be part of the LO system.
>>>
>>> I do support the "cause" and do what I can towards that.  But any
>>> live chat is not something I will do, since after 3 strokes it is
>>> hard to type quickly.  It can take 10-20 minutes to just type an
>>> email to people that is only a few paragraph long.
>>>
>>> Video chatting never worked on my end, though I have tried.
>>>

>> This is not a developer chat at all - I have very very limited skills
>> in terms of development - Quality Assurance is about testing the
>> product, managing bugzilla and providing a medium for which user
>> complaints/suggestions reach developers. So I encourage you to join -
>> I've seen you quite often on the user channel and you are very very
>> helpful and known in the community - if you have the time please call
>> in to talkyoo with a cell phone or landline.
>>

>> Best,
>> Joel
>>
> Sorry, but that was what I got when I first saw the emails.  You
> wanted to get more people on this side of the pond involved in
> developing LO and other open source packages.
>
> "on the user channel"?
> Do you mean the email lists? If not, then I do not know who it would
> be, since I rarely use "chat" for anything, along with Twitter or
> Facebook.
>
> To be honest, I am not comfortable calling in an "talkyou" or any live
> option. After 3 strokes, it can be difficult sometimes to get the
> "proper words out". When I am face to face, using a wheeled-walker or
> wheelchair, people are more "understanding" when I have troubles with
> my speech pattern.  They are more willing to "wait" for me to get the
> words out, than most people I have dealt with over the phone lines.
> That is why I do most of my communicating via email where I can pause
> for the words and/or edit them so I get the meaning of the words out
> even if not all the "right" words.
>
> To be honest, some days I can barely speak "understandably" and/or
> type 3 letters in a row correctly[let alone the needed words]. That is
> what I have to deal with, and am very lucky that I have that much,
> since I lost a lot of my memory with the 1st and 2nd of the 3 strokes.

No worries at all - if you ever want to call in and just listen - no
need to say a single word and you can get a sense of how QA works on the
project. We've had people do this before.

Warm Regards,
Joel

Joe Lee Joe Lee

Re: North America QA Online Chat

> 01 Aug 2013 06:46:16 PM PDT, Joel Madero wrote:
>
> Look forward to talking tomorrow :)

Looking forward to it. Talk to you guys tomorrow!

-Joe

Mas/_gemini Mas/_gemini

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Joe Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 01 Aug 2013 06:46:16 PM PDT, Joel Madero wrote:
> >
> > Look forward to talking tomorrow :)
>
> Looking forward to it. Talk to you guys tomorrow!
>
> -Joe

Great , I updated the Pad with the information

--
----
Mas