Numbers displaying in different script!

shared you shared you

Numbers displaying in different script!

Hi,

I have a strange problem. Whenever I type numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) they don't show up in English alphabet, but in some unknown language (see the picture [1]). Whenever I copy-paste to other applications, it shows up correctly as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have set English (USA) as my language, but this bug affects only numbers! I don't have this problem in other applications.

[1]: http://i.imgur.com/exhXJan.png

--Lucia

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

On 10/08/13 1:31 PM, shared you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem. Whenever I type numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) they don't show up in English alphabet, but in some unknown language (see the picture [1]). Whenever I copy-paste to other applications, it shows up correctly as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have set English (USA) as my language, but this bug affects only numbers! I don't have this problem in other applications.
>
> [1]: http://i.imgur.com/exhXJan.png
>
> --Lucia

Hi.
What is the locale you have set in your operating system.
Does it make a difference if you tick "Ignore system input language on
your screen shot.
steve

digitsm digitsm

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

This is not a bug. I guess the document was written in a bi-directional
enabled Writer using Hindi Numerals.
To fix it do:
1-
Tools->Options->Language_Settings->Languages->Enhanced_language_support->Show
UI elements for Bi-Directional writing
2- OK (which closes options)
3- Go to options->Language_Settings again and then you should find
"Complex Text Layout" or "Bi-Directional Layout" or something like that
(3rd in the list).
4- General_options->Numerals=Context (I guess it should currently be Hindi)

Respond back if this answer worked.

Regards,
 Sina Momken

On 08/10/2013 06:01 AM, shared you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem. Whenever I type numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) they don't show up in English alphabet, but in some unknown language (see the picture [1]). Whenever I copy-paste to other applications, it shows up correctly as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have set English (USA) as my language, but this bug affects only numbers! I don't have this problem in other applications.
>
> [1]: http://i.imgur.com/exhXJan.png
>
> --Lucia

shared you shared you

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

The steps outlined by Sina Momken worked! Thank you so much!

Steve, ticking the "Ignore system language box" had no effect.

Anyways, thanks to both of you!

--Lucia

krackedpress krackedpress

On 08/10/2013 03:59 AM, Lucia Maarinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The steps outlined by Sina Momken worked! Thank you so much!
>
> Steve, ticking the "Ignore system language box" had no effect.
>
> Anyways, thanks to both of you!
>
> --Lucia

Could you tell us which version of LibreOffice you are using and which
OS it is running on?  Win7 or Win8.  Ubuntu 13.04 or Mint 14?

Could you let us know what the "system language" is?

That might help define if this is a bug or just a system language issue
that needed to be defined differently when dealing with a "non-English
native system language" and working with an English document.

I was just thinking that if it is an issue with writing an English
language document, or one using the numbering system English uses, with
a non-English native language, AND it is not a bug, then the document
writers [or someone] might want to create a document with the
information needed to get the numbering format working correctly.

Youmight not be thethe only user that may come across this issue.

Tom Tom

[Solved] Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

Congrats on solving this!! :)

There is no need to do any more with this so you can happily ignore Kracked Press's questions.  However, if you do have time and  would like to help LibreOffice solve this for other users then please let us know some of the things he asks for.

Congrats and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

Hi Sina

If you look at the screenshot Lucia has posted, she does not have
anything ticked in Enhanced language support. I believe, like Steve
covered in his post, it is coming from her regional settings of the O/S,
such as locale, language etc. This dominates, so any apps on top of the
O/S will obey the O/S setting.

Regards

Andrew Brown

On 10/08/2013 07:32 AM, Sina Momken wrote:

> Hello,
> This is not a bug. I guess the document was written in a bi-directional
> enabled Writer using Hindi Numerals.
> To fix it do:
> 1-
> Tools->Options->Language_Settings->Languages->Enhanced_language_support->Show
> UI elements for Bi-Directional writing
> 2- OK (which closes options)
> 3- Go to options->Language_Settings again and then you should find
> "Complex Text Layout" or "Bi-Directional Layout" or something like that
> (3rd in the list).
> 4- General_options->Numerals=Context (I guess it should currently be Hindi)
>
> Respond back if this answer worked.
>
> Regards,
>   Sina Momken
>
> On 08/10/2013 06:01 AM, shared you wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a strange problem. Whenever I type numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) they don't show up in English alphabet, but in some unknown language (see the picture [1]). Whenever I copy-paste to other applications, it shows up correctly as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have set English (USA) as my language, but this bug affects only numbers! I don't have this problem in other applications.
>>
>> [1]: http://i.imgur.com/exhXJan.png
>>
>> --Lucia

shared you shared you

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

My locale setting is LC_ALL = en_US.UTF-8 (US English UTF-8). As regards to Kracked's questions:

LibreOffice Version 4.0.2.2 on Linux Mint 15 Olivia.

Also, I figured out that the numerals in that image (٣, ٢, ١) are actually Arabic numerals and not Hindi!

--Lucia

Tom Tom

Re: Numbers displaying in different script!

Hi :)
Yes :)  but you weren't wrong with Hindi either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

Mostly they are very similar to what we use in Europe today although we changed them quite a bit when they first arrived in Europe.  If you rotate the ٢ and ٣ by 90degress anti-clockwise then that gives 2 and 3.  1 and 9 are the same as we use in Europe.  Their 5 became our 0.  6 is kinda upside-down(ish).  7 is rotated but points down.  8 points up.  I'm not sure how the numbers were actually morphed through history but it's easy to see simple relationships between the way they are now and how they started.

Before pinching their numbers the Europeans needed degree-level maths to do simple sums using Roman numerals.  People who had put in years of study in order to do the simple sums objected quite vigorously, especially to the introduction of the 0.