[OT] Operating Environment Survey

Next » 123
James E. Lang James E. Lang

[OT] Operating Environment Survey

The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

To set the tone, here are my answers:

• I am retired so "at work" is not applicable
• At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux) computer, a laptop dual boot Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and dedicated server (Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit Kat, and Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.
• Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible software though it also is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail (proprietary though free of cost).
• Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the flexibility that was inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and Unity desktop environments but KDE is my personal first choice.
• If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.
• Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.
• Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above information.
• The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

--
Jim
James Knott James Knott

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

Personal:
All computers run openSUSE 13.1
ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet

Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
iPhone 6

I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.

Tom Williams Tom Williams

On 07/18/2015 06:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:

> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>
> To set the tone, here are my answers:
>
> • I am retired so "at work" is not applicable
> • At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux) computer, a laptop dual boot Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and dedicated server (Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit Kat, and Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.
> • Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible software though it also is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail (proprietary though free of cost).
> • Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the flexibility that was inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and Unity desktop environments but KDE is my personal first choice.
> • If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.
> • Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.
> • Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above information.
> • The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

At work, I use Windows 7.

At home, I use Ubuntu Linux (64-bit) and have been a Linux devotee for
years.  I first switched from Windows XP to Slackware back in the late
1990s.  I installed Slackware 8 from CD and installed only the base
system and compiler.   Most everything else, I built from sources I
would download, including X11 (XFree86).  :)

I switched to Ubuntu around 7.04 to see what the Linux experience was
like without compiling everything all the time.  Now, I just don't have
the time to build everything from source to keep the system updated.

Peace...

"The other" Tom

--
/When we dance, you have a way with me,
Stay with me... Sway with me.../

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

Before I became a pensioner my work environment was Sun Solaris, but my
workstation was Redhat later Ubuntu linux.  I had Windows 7 in a
Virtualbox for some administrative functions which required Windows.
Others in my group (sysops) used other varieties of linux.  The grunts
used Windows.

At home my son gave me his pensioned off  Macbook, at which I swore for
a week, and suddenly became a devoted Mac user.  My wife uses Windows 7,
I use Mavericks on my Mac Mini, Ubuntu 14-04 on my linux machine.  Both
machines have Virtualbox, and I'm trying to get OSX running on the linux
box.  I have it in a Virtualbox at the moment.

My Mac Mini and Ubuntu box both run Libreoffice.  My wife's machine has
LIbreoffice and MS Office, which she uses from force of habit.  I'm a
little amused that my wife will be getting a Mac (model unknown, but
probably running Yosemite) in the autumn as her new job-computer.  She's
already taking lessons on my machine!

James

yahoo-pier_andreit yahoo-pier_andreit

On 07/19/2015 03:25 AM, James E Lang wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>
> To set the tone, here are my answers:
here are mines:
Personal:
All computers (3 mine, 1 my son, 1 mysister) runs openSUSE 13.2 or 13.1
  virtualbox with windows7 and dual booted with windows7
3 android phones

work:
usually I use many computers, windows 2000, 98, XP, 7, 8, and 8.1;
macintosh yosemite;
linux opensuse 13.2.
in all of them from windows XP to 8.1 mac and linux I use libreoffice
and microsoft word and excel and filemakerpro and imagej and gimp and
irfanview.
recently a collegue start to use python to switch from labview so also
python start to works on these pc.
about 10 oscilloscopes with windows 98, vista(terrible), XP, 7; one with
linux(terrible too)
bye :-)

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

Hello everyone,

James Knott <[hidden email]> @ 2015-07-19 03:43 CEST:

> On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
>> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>>

> Personal:
> All computers run openSUSE 13.1
> ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
> Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
> Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet
>
> Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
> ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
> iPhone 6
>

> I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.

If anybody's interested in broadening the audience of this survey, we can
create an actual online survey and attract several hundreds/thousands
Libreoffice users. It's always good to collect this kind of information.  Just let me/us know.

Charles-H. Schulz Co-founder, The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

always a good idea.  this should be done about once every 6 mo. to also
track trends.  first the questions should be suggested and agreed upon.
then, before the next survey 6 mo. down the road, we discuss
modifications to the list; probably more additions than deletions, maybe
a few wording changes.

John

On 07/19/2015 08:12 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> James Knott <[hidden email]> @ 2015-07-19 03:43 CEST:
>
>> On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
>>> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>>>
>> Personal:
>> All computers run openSUSE 13.1
>> ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
>> Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
>> Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet
>>
>> Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
>> ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
>> iPhone 6
>>

>> I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.
> If anybody's interested in broadening the audience of this survey, we can
> create an actual online survey and attract several hundreds/thousands
> Libreoffice users. It's always good to collect this kind of information.  Just let me/us know.
>
> Cheers,

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

While we're waiting for a formal survey to be developed:

My primary machine is a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7, used for both
home and work.  While I have a UNIX background and would be willing to
experiment with LINUX, there is software I need for work that comes in
Windows or Windows.  (Windows is, however, the only thing for which
Microsoft gets a dime of my money.)

I have four older computers, as well: two laptops and two desktops. The
desktop that is in anything resembling use runs Windows 2000, the newer
laptop has Windows XP, and the other two have Windows NT. None of these
is connected to the Internet and I keep them around (a) out of habit,
(b) because the upgrades to some of my favorite games are actually
retrogrades, and (c)
I some have old software that I like but can't justify paying to upgrade
-- it's just for my own use, so compatibility isn't an issue.

I'll never buy Apple equipment simply because I'm allergic to
proprietary hardware!  Software is bad enough.

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I had about 35 years in IT
before getting laid off from my position as Quality Manager for a
software company (and my understanding is that they've ever since
regretted dismantling the Quality Department).  I now have my own
accounting practice, so I'm much more a user than a techie though I can
still do logical design with the best of them (I also spent time as a
data modeler, as well as the usual programming gigs).  As a user, I'm
less likely to be willing to put the time into learning the
technicalities of newer tech stuff.

Dave Liesse

On 7/18/2015 18:25, James E Lang wrote:

> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>
> To set the tone, here are my answers:
>
> • I am retired so "at work" is not applicable
> • At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux) computer, a laptop dual boot Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and dedicated server (Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit Kat, and Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.
> • Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible software though it also is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail (proprietary though free of cost).
> • Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the flexibility that was inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and Unity desktop environments but KDE is my personal first choice.
> • If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.
> • Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.
> • Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above information.
> • The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

Hi,

At work I use Windows 7 for corporate policy reasons.

At home, three computers currently. One has only Linux installed (my
desktop), one laptop is dual boot between W7 and Linux, and the last has
W8.1 and will be set up as a dual boot.

Only my desktop is used for anything more stressful the surfing and
email, mostly some programming and photo editing.

On 07/19/2015 11:02 PM, Dave Liesse wrote:

> [...]
>> Linux system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version
>> from SuSE before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the
>> flexibility that was inherent in the KDE desktop environment and
>> found the UI to be quite similar to that of Windows at the time. I
>> have briefly tried Gnome and Unity desktop environments but KDE is my
>> personal first choice.
>> • If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux
>> usage it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.
>> • Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard
>> about the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to
>> suit me.
>> • Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above
>> information.
>> • The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

Malgosia Askanas Malgosia Askanas

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

I work at home, where I have a 15-year old Mac G4 running OS 10.4, and a
new System76 Gazelle Pro running Ubuntu 15.04.  I love the Mac and it
continues to work just fine (knock on wood), but it became increasingly
frustrating or impossible to access the Web 2.0-style mobile-targeted
websites with OS 10.4 browsers. I bought the System76 experimentally to
see if it was possible to get away from the proprietary-systems racket.
  I am not yet sure what the answer is.  I am a (Unix) software
developer by profession, but I don't really want to have to learn how to
"develop" my own laptop environment; I want it to already provide me
with the tools I need to do other work.  My Mac definitely does that; I
am not (yet?) convinced that Ubuntu can.

-malgosia

Andrea Venturoli Andrea Venturoli

On 07/19/15 03:25, James E Lang wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

I use LO 4.3 on a FreeBSD 10.1/amd64 laptop.
On the desktop I'm running FreeBSD 9.3/i386 and I'm still using
OpenOffice; I think I'll switch when a more recent version hits the port
tree.
These are my "work"-station, but I work at home :)

I too think it's a good idea to setup an official survey.

  bye
        av.

Harvey Nimmo Harvey Nimmo

On Sat, 2015-07-18 at 21:43 -0400, James Knott wrote:

> On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
> > The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
> >

> Personal:
> All computers run openSUSE 13.1
> ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
> Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
> Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet
>
> Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
> ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
> iPhone 6
>

> I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.

I have 2 (or 4) (one 64-bit, 1 (3) 32-bit) towers and a laptop (64-bit)
with Opensuse 13.2, (I don't really  use 2 of the older towers!) and I
run Gnome on them all. I can dual boot the laptop with Windows 7 home
premium which was pre-installed, but I only do that when it is
absolutely necessary and I have virtual box ready with windows 2000 on
my main tower. Otherwise, I have more or less abandoned windows. My wife
has a Macbook.

krackedpress krackedpress

On 07/18/2015 09:43 PM, James Knott wrote:

> On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
>> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>>
> Personal:
> All computers run openSUSE 13.1
> ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
> Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
> Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet
>
> Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
> ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
> iPhone 6
>

> I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.

For Windows, I have a desktop, or two, and two laptops with Win7 [either
Home or Pro editions].

Since the drop of XP from MS's OS support system, I am slowly converting
my old hardware [stored for now] from XP to some version of Ubuntu.

For Linux, I an running Linux Mint 16.x and Ubuntu 15.04 with both the
MATE desktop installed.  Ubuntu now has MATE in its repository.

I do have tow working Android tablets one running  2.x and and the other
4.4.

jdh111 jdh111

On 20.07.2015 08:34, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 07/19/15 03:25, James E Lang wrote:
>> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering:
>> What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at
>> home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

Linux Mint 17 Qiana LTS and LO 4.2.8.2 on a
STEG Intel-Core2 minitower with 2 GB RAM & 1 TB HDD
for private and home-office use

Just one single Windows application (Banana 4.0 Accounting) via CrossOver

No cellphone, laptop, tablets or the like (though pondering the purchase
of a
Linux-friendly laptop - suggestions, anyone?)

Cheers
john

Ian Whitfield Ian Whitfield

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

_**_
*Hi All

*After 25+ years in the Computer business I retired in the early 2000s.
I had been involved with CP/M, DOS and Windows during this period and
even did a Xenix Course at one time which I found interesting, (Unix was
a propitiatory name in those days!!). I also played with Coral Linux,
(who remembers that?? Rumored to actually MS Linux given to Coral to
"Test the Waters"!!!)

The first thing I did after I retired was get rid of Windows!! I started
with Ubuntu but "hated" Gnome - so I tried Kubuntu. Better but I was
still not happy so moved to Mint. Better still but something still
missing. Then found PClinuxOS - tried it and have stayed there ever
since. Magic flavour of Linux - can not recommend it enough!!

I run a Desktop and an old Laptop both PCLOS. Converted my Partner a few
years ago as well when her Windows crashed for the umpteenth time and
she loves it too. We both run Specialist Groups on the Internet, produce
publications etc etc and we are a totally "Microsoft-Free Zone" (except
for Skype - which MS bought anyway!!)

I have also helped a few others to convert and do so whenever the chance
comes up.

With the exception of a lot of games and specialist programs written
only for Windows you can do everything the average person needs to do
with Linux and it's better priced, more secure, faster etc etc and the
Support Forums are awesome.

I still have an HP/Compaq Tablet - TC 1100 - a great machine for its
time and would love to get Linux on that but have had no luck. Would
love a Linux Tablet!! Will NOT look at any Apple products and there is
nothing worth doing on small Android screens except SMSs so I don't look
there either.

Linux is the way to go!!!!

IanW
Pretoria RSA

Helen-2 Helen-2

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

I am not young (as someone suggested early on that Linux users usually
are).  I have Linux
lxle on one desktop, opensuse on another desktop, and ubuntu on a very very
old laptop.
No windows products.  Android tablet.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
> > The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering:
> What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and
> at work? What factors influence the choice?
> >

> Personal:
> All computers run openSUSE 13.1
> ThinkPad E520 came with Windows 7 and can dual boot
> Run Windows 10 in VirtualBox
> Google Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet
>
> Work: (I didn't choose either of these.)
> ThinkPad X131e running Windows 8.1
> iPhone 6
>

> I like Linux, ThinkPads and Android.

Helen Etters
using Linux, suse12.3

Manfred BERTL Manfred BERTL

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

On 07/18/2015 09:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

My first home computer was a BBC micro (anyone remember those?) That was back in the days when programming had to be really tight, only had 32Kb (yes, Kb) of RAM; long term storage was all external on cassette tapes, eventually upgraded to floppy disk drive (and the disks really were floppy). I've still got that computer and AFAIK it still works!
My next machine was Acorn Archimedes, followed by RISC PC. It's a great shame that the marketing for those machines was so poor, leading to collapse of the company. The ARM chips had a great architecture and instruction set.
After that, I got my first laptop, a Sony Vaio running windows XP. When I upgraded, which I was forced to do due to a machine failure, I got a laptop running Windows 7 - which is still my current machine. A better Windows, once I'd got used to it, but it had a real downer - couldn't get driver for my flatbed scanner - Canon didn't produce one.
At work, in my first job I used a computer called a PDP 11 (ghastly thing); can't remember what the OS was called.
In my second job I think we started off with some sort of mainframe, the details of which are hazy now. Later we migrated to Sun Spark workstations.
In my last real job, used PCs running windows, I think it was XP at that time.
Now in my office based voluntary work I use PCs with Windows 7. Did have a play with Win 8 on a laptop, but hated it. It might be OK for tablets, I don't know, but it was horrible to use with normal PC input devices.
I have thought about upgrading to Linux but have never got around to it. This is mainly because of familiarity with certain software packages, especially Photoshop. I know there is GIMP for Linux, but it's not a patch - for one thing, it doesn't have the concept of adjustment layers; and that means that all my working files, which tend to be saved as TIFF with layer compression, can't be properly loaded and edited in GIMP.I also make use of a video editor (not free but fairly inexpensive) which can edit MPEG2 files without reencoding unchanged parts of the video, which makes it quite fast and doesn't lose quality. Something like that probably does exist for Linux but I haven't got around to looking, and familiarity is a big part of the story.Another thing is the convenience of plug and play when it comes to hardware - I don't think I've ever had to manually load a driver, everything seems to work "out of the box" and that's a very good thing, saves a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure what Linux is like in that respect, as I've had no experience.
On my phone I have android and I tend to get on reasonably well with that.
I'm not sure what I will do if I ever need to change computer again.
/Gary

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

My remembers and my present:

        My first contact with a computer was with a main fraime (That all I
know and remember of my first job).

        My second time was with a Unisys system that has a supply system to
help my job. A very old kind of terminal.

        My third contact was my first time with windows (I don't know what was
it), but was when I learn lotus-123 as a spreedsheet. My third job.

        In my four job I used As-400 for Account System, Unisys for the rest of
system of the bank. And again, windows where I learn Office include
Access (W-95 and its office with the best Access that I've known. Then
go down).

        Here I bought my first personal computer (A clon). With windows and
office with out access.

        In my last three jobs I used w7 and office and introduce to my self use
OpenOffice and LibreOffice and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

        My actual personal computer has Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with dual boot with w7
for very especific situations. Both with LibreOffice and the second with
OpenOffice too. The laptop has Ubuntu 15.04 LTS with LibreOffice and the
tablet use Android with Android Open Office and WPS (Kingsoft Office)
and others that I don't rememeber now very well.

        I hope not tired you with my computer's part of my live.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

       Wow, you're survey has me interested;
           and I'm quite amazed at the results which have been posted so
far ...

       [see my responses intermingled below in your query]

From: James E Lang <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] [OT] Operating Environment Survey
To: [hidden email]

The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What
operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at
work? What factors influence the choice?

       [I've considered switching to Linux or Ubuntu; but need someone to
guide me along the way  ;-)]

To set the tone, here are my answers:

• I am retired so "at work" is not applicable

       [ditto;
          although I noticed when I became semi-retired, I was busier -
         now I'm really busier; I have piles of data to look o'er yet ne'er
seem to have the time to so do]

• At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux)
computer, a laptop dual boot Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows
Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and dedicated server
(Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit
Kat, and Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.

       [wow, how do you use so many computers;
           I still have the last desktop computer (MSFT), still hooked to
the 3-in-1 printer (non-functioning) - switched to laptops (MSFT, WIN 7);
           and hand-held ACER (MSFT)]

• Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible
software though it also is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail
(proprietary though free of cost).

       [single-player gaming ? - curiously wondering how anyone has time
for games on these machines?]

• Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux
system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE
before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the flexibility that was
inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite
similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and
Unity desktop environments but KDE is my personal first choice.

       [curiously wondering what all that is?]

• If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage
it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.

       [so are those programs too large for laptops, ...;
           I'm sold on the laptop as a WIN-WIN situation: (1) if the
electricity pops off, the battery allows whatever not to be lost; (2) it's
portable for maintenance as well as presenting programs, etc.]

• Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about
the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.

       [my first computer was that Apple 2E; which continually had problems]

• Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above
information.

       [wow, you mean you run all your computers at once?]

• The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

       [BSODs ???]

--
Jim

Next » 123