[OT] Operating Environment Survey

Next » 123 « Prev
OogieM OogieM

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

My 2 main machines are both Macintosh systems running Yosemite. Work is also home so no differences there. Main development machine is a Mac Laptop.

> On 2015-07-19 03:25, James E Lang wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire
Desert Weyr, LLC - Black Welsh Mountain Sheep http://www.desertweyr.com/
LambTracker - Open Source SW for Shepherds http://www.lambtracker.com
Paonia, CO USA

T. R. Valentine T. R. Valentine

On 18 July 2015 at 20:25, James E Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

At work (network admin), I am stuck with a Micro$oft Windows
environment. My work machine is Win7. (For those comfortable with
Win7, switching to Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop is *much*
easier than 'upgrading' to Win8.x)

At home, I use Linux: Ubuntu for my wife (because the nag about system
updates s in your face and can't be ignored) and Mint for me (because
after working long days [18 hrs yesterday] I *don't* want to have to
mess with my PC; I just want it to work). If money were no object, I
might consider switching to a Mac, but all my home PCs are self-built
because I want to get what I want without paying a premium. My main
system is quad-core i7 @ 4.00GHz with 16 GiB RAM.

Answer to person asking what BSOD meant: Blue Screen of Death. (Once,
in the middle of an 11 hour phone conversation with a Micro$oft tech,
I made a reference to a BSOD. He replied indignantly, 'We don't refer
to it by that name!' I replied: 'You know what i mean since that is
the industry standard terminology.' He didn't reply to that.)

A web search on 'bsod' can quickly identify the meaning.

--
T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.

James Knott James Knott

On 07/21/2015 07:15 AM, Gary Collins wrote:
> My first home computer was a BBC micro (anyone remember those?) That was back in the days when programming had to be really tight, only had 32Kb (yes, Kb) of RAM; long term storage was all external on cassette tapes

My first computer was an IMSAI 8080, which I built up from bare boards
and a bag of parts.  I also had to buy a memory card and some I/O for
it.  I initially loaded in software via switches on the front panel and
then saved to cassette.  Back in those days, you knew your computer
inside out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSAI_8080

Stefan Gruber-3 Stefan Gruber-3

James E Lang schrieb am Sonntag, 19. Juli 2015 03:25:
> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What
> operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at
> work? What factors influence the choice?

I also want to contribute to your topic:

At home and at job I work with and administrate several linux machines with
opensuse.
For a few (in number) tasks at work we have some dedicated windows machines
or virtual machines.
I favor KDE as desktop environment and LibreOffice integrates well with it
under opensuse. I didn't find this with other linux distributions so far.

My computer experience began in the eigthies with a TI-99 home computer.
At university I met the first IBM compatibles XTs,ATs in the times of MS-DOS
3.3 programming in gw-basic, turbo-pascal, dbase and using some standard
software.
At this times I really admired MS software that I got e.g. DOS, Word 5,
Flight Simulator...

For my first own PC I chose DR-DOS as operating system, because it was far
better as MS-DOS. (Most important was to save memory to be able to play wing
commander...).
I got a copy of GEM later as my first sight to a GUI.

At my first job in the early nineties I was responsible for all the (few)
DOS PCs. At this time I supposedly had been one of the first users of
StarWriter 2.0 the very predecessor of StarOffice/OpenOffice/LibreOffice not
against MS Word but to replace WordStar.

Firstly the rise of Windows 3.0 did not concern me very much. It promised so
much but it failed so often.

Then came OS/2 Warp, that had been technically far superior to Windows, that
was able to perform real multitasking and even included windows. I used it
mainly to develop a DOS database application for multiuser environment.

At my later job (up to now) I found contemporary windows 3.0 machines using
standard software mainly of the lotus universe (AmiPro, 123, Approach,...).

With the first network I fit them up with Novell DOS 7, because MS-DOS and
Windows weren't able to do this easily at this times.

Unhappily DR-DOS, Novell-DOS and OS/2 died away - not least by unfair
sabotage actions by Microsoft. Since then I felt uncomfortable with them.

But Windows 95 and further versions weren't avoidable, I worked many years
with them as main system.

Again unhappily Lotus was sold to IBM, the tough Lotus Smartsuite
Applications became a dead end too.

In private life I re-explored OpenOffice Version 1 12 years ago. At job I
gradually replaced Lotus SmartSuite with OpenOffice and now LibreOffice.

At the same time I discovered Linux as a valid alternative to this unfair
managed and virussucking MS universe. I also gradually replaced Windows with
Linux desktops at job featuring LibreOffice of course.

I stick to SuSE/opensuse since then, because it featured KDE, excellent
german localization, YaST, ... and maybe Ubuntu was not on the way yet.

In my private life I willingly help friends in computer concerns, if ...
they willingly start out into the world of FOSS.

Stefan
--
system: opensuse 13.2

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

My first real computer job was data entry typing punched cards for an
IBM system.

Then I started working at several colleges with those "ghastly" PDP/11
systems.  One was the core for a large computer center with large tape
units, and one was just a stand alone system with a drive platter and
all of those dump terminals.  That "stand alone" PDP/11 system is where
I had to write/code/etc. a full general ledger accounting system using
COBOL.  Have you even tried to write a data entry system for an
accounting system, so people could not type in the wrong info/data -
like Feb 29th for a non-leap year or an account number that is not
created, or other values that are not within the proper any of the data
ranges. That was 3 time the coding size than all of the rest of the
system, including the account query/search system and report generating
systems.

Yes, I remember those data cassette tape drive computers, before you
could afford a dual floppy IBM PC/AT/XT clone.  Then there were those 10
MEG hard drives.

I saw the introduction of the PC based
Hard Drive
CD ROM drive, then burner

Real Graphics above 640 by 480

I saw the introduction of the Bulletin board system that was
interconnected so you had a primitive email address - mine was almost 80
characters long.

I saw the start of the WWW part of the Internet, which is what is now
"THE Internet", since most of the other parts [terminal based mostly]
have either "died" or been converted to use a browser.  Of course there
are still parts that run via the terminal which I still use from time to
time - mostly local to server communications.

The domain I use for this email address - I own -  was first created in
the early '90, when you only had 14.4 dialup for most areas of the US,
and has gone from one domain service to another, and my hosting service
from one to another, till I finally settled on the one[s] I have been
using for many years now.

Yes I have seen the wireless phone go from the "big brick" technology
through to the introduction of the smart phone technology.  I now use a
LG base model Android phone, since I do not need all of the wow-wee
stuff.  I do not need to use it for my every "computer" need, like some
are touted.

I have bought 3 Android tablets over the years.  I still use 2 of them.
And no, I do not like the hype of not needing a larger system - laptop
or desktop - since a Android, IOSx, or MS OS claims it will do
everything you will need.  My desktop I am typing this from is an old 4
core running Linux Mint 16 with 4 hard drives internal, 1 OS and 3 data
drives - adding up to 6.25 TB - with 3 external 2 TB drives for backup.
I use to have 4 backup, till an internal 2TB drive failed and I needed
my spare to replace it.

I really wonder how you could get a tablet to have 6 TB of data
storage.  I also like to see these tablets find printer drivers to run
the USB or network printing.  I have enough trouble tryng to find a
working Linux [.deb] printer driver for my newer printers, and I have
not been able to get any of my android tablets to access any of my
colored printers - just a "older" HP laser printer.  I now look for
Linux drivers BEFORE I decide to buy the printers.

I have gone from punched card data entry to web-based data entry screens.
I have gone from cassette tapes, through to floppies, internal/external
hard drives, USB flash drives and SD cards.
I have seen mainframe computers the size of a bedroom, down to a
refrigerator.
I have seen the IBM PC come out to the modern 4/6/8/16 core desktops.
I have use "portable" computers that were 30+ pounds down to the ultra
thing, ultra light multi-core tablets.

I have "retired" from the "computer field" - as they use to call it -
after 3 computer related degrees and many computer related jobs.
Then I had to get "permanently and 100% disabled" working as a
substitute teacher by a student who should have been locked up in a
mental ward.

> [...]

>> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>>
> My first home computer was a BBC micro (anyone remember those?) That was back in the days when programming had to be really tight, only had 32Kb (yes, Kb) of RAM; long term storage was all external on cassette tapes, eventually upgraded to floppy disk drive (and the disks really were floppy). I've still got that computer and AFAIK it still works!
> My next machine was Acorn Archimedes, followed by RISC PC. It's a great shame that the marketing for those machines was so poor, leading to collapse of the company. The ARM chips had a great architecture and instruction set.
> After that, I got my first laptop, a Sony Vaio running windows XP. When I upgraded, which I was forced to do due to a machine failure, I got a laptop running Windows 7 - which is still my current machine. A better Windows, once I'd got used to it, but it had a real downer - couldn't get driver for my flatbed scanner - Canon didn't produce one.
> At work, in my first job I used a computer called a PDP 11 (ghastly thing); can't remember what the OS was called.
> In my second job I think we started off with some sort of mainframe, the details of which are hazy now. Later we migrated to Sun Spark workstations.
> In my last real job, used PCs running windows, I think it was XP at that time.
> Now in my office based voluntary work I use PCs with Windows 7. Did have a play with Win 8 on a laptop, but hated it. It might be OK for tablets, I don't know, but it was horrible to use with normal PC input devices.
> I have thought about upgrading to Linux but have never got around to it. This is mainly because of familiarity with certain software packages, especially Photoshop. I know there is GIMP for Linux, but it's not a patch - for one thing, it doesn't have the concept of adjustment layers; and that means that all my working files, which tend to be saved as TIFF with layer compression, can't be properly loaded and edited in GIMP.I also make use of a video editor (not free but fairly inexpensive) which can edit MPEG2 files without reencoding unchanged parts of the video, which makes it quite fast and doesn't lose quality. Something like that probably does exist for Linux but I haven't got around to looking, and familiarity is a big part of the story.Another thing is the convenience of plug and play when it comes to hardware - I don't think I've ever had to manually load a driver, everything seems to work "out of the box" and that's a very good thing, saves a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure what Linux is like in that respect, as I've had no experience.
> On my phone I have android and I tend to get on reasonably well with that.
> I'm not sure what I will do if I ever need to change computer again.

TomD TomD

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

I'm sure many on this mailing list would be willing to help you get
started.

There are various ways of doing quite a lot of test-driving before
committing yourself to anything.

1.  It is probably good to 'rescue' an older machine from somewhere in
order to test-drive a few things first just in case you run into any
misunderstandings or accidents.

2.  Alternatively, it can be neat if you are comfortable enough (and good
enough) with hardware and have a desktop or other machine where it's easy
to plonk in a 2nd (or 3rd or whatever) hard-drive and just leave it in
there.  Then when you want to try out linux you just unplug your Windows
drive(s) and plug in your Linux one.  That can usually avoid needing to
mess around with the bios but not always - but at least if it doesn't work
or something goes wrong then you can just plug your Windows drive(s) back
in to get back to where you were.

3.  A much safer way would be to create a Virtual Machine inside Windows.
This is MUCH easier than it sounds!  Basically just install the program
"Virtualbox" in Windows just the same as you would install any other
program.  There are a lot of other such programs but Virtualbox is free and
fairly friendly for point&click users.

4. If you are confident enough to risk using a machine that you kinda
depend on at the moment then we can probably give some help with that too.

Option 3 is probably the quickest, safest and easiest way to start but it
doesn't give much of a feel for what is really going on.  I feel i
understand things better if i can physically get my hands on them.  But
maybe start with 3 and then move on to one of the other options?

Let us know which option you think you can handle, when you have time to
dip your toe into the new adventure! ;)

On 21 July 2015 at 20:27, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> From: James E Lang <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM
> Subject: [libreoffice-users] [OT] Operating Environment Survey
> To: [hidden email]
>

> The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What
> operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at
> work? What factors influence the choice?
>
>        [I've considered switching to Linux or Ubuntu; but need someone to
> guide me along the way  ;-)]
>
> To set the tone, here are my answers:
>
> • I am retired so "at work" is not applicable
>
>        [ditto;
>           although I noticed when I became semi-retired, I was busier -
>          now I'm really busier; I have piles of data to look o'er yet ne'er
> seem to have the time to so do]
>
> • At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux)
> computer, a laptop dual boot Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows
> Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and dedicated server
> (Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit
> Kat, and Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.
>
>        [wow, how do you use so many computers;
>            I still have the last desktop computer (MSFT), still hooked to
> the 3-in-1 printer (non-functioning) - switched to laptops (MSFT, WIN 7);
>            and hand-held ACER (MSFT)]
>
> • Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible
> software though it also is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail
> (proprietary though free of cost).
>
>        [single-player gaming ? - curiously wondering how anyone has time
> for games on these machines?]
>
> • Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux
> system used what I believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE
> before the first release of Open SuSE. I liked the flexibility that was
> inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite
> similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and
> Unity desktop environments but KDE is my personal first choice.
>
>        [curiously wondering what all that is?]
>
> • If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage
> it, too, would run Kubuntu Linux, LO, etc.
>
>        [so are those programs too large for laptops, ...;
>            I'm sold on the laptop as a WIN-WIN situation: (1) if the
> electricity pops off, the battery allows whatever not to be lost; (2) it's
> portable for maintenance as well as presenting programs, etc.]
>
> • Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about
> the company's software policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.
>
>        [my first computer was that Apple 2E; which continually had
> problems]
>
> • Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above
> information.
>
>        [wow, you mean you run all your computers at once?]
>
> • The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.

TomD TomD

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

PDP11s look interesting!

A short article that claims the default OS was Multics;
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/PDP-11-Programmed-Data-Processor-11
but that many put Unix on it.  Wikipedia gives a great long list of OSes
that ran on or could run on PDP11s;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11#Operating_systems

As you can see in the url below Nuclear Power Plants are apparently still
using and plan to continue using PDP11's until 2050 !
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/

On 22 July 2015 at 03:21, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> compression, can't be properly loaded and edited in GIMP.I also make use of
>> a video editor (not free but fairly inexpensive) which can edit MPEG2 files
>> without reencoding unchanged parts of the video, which makes it quite fast
>> and doesn't lose quality. Something like that probably does exist for Linux
>> but I haven't got around to looking, and familiarity is a big part of the
>> story.Another thing is the convenience of plug and play when it comes to
>> hardware - I don't think I've ever had to manually load a driver,
>> everything seems to work "out of the box" and that's a very good thing,
>> saves a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure what Linux is like in that
>> respect, as I've had no experience.
>> On my phone I have android and I tend to get on reasonably well with that.
>> I'm not sure what I will do if I ever need to change computer again.

Tim Deaton Tim Deaton

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

On 7/18/2015 9:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:

    The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?

I'm definitely in the minority of responders so far, as I only have one
pc, a  6-year-old home desktop running Windows 7.  My intentions at this
time are to upgrade to Win 10 after it's been out 10-11 months (since
it's free), depending on how things look then.

I use both LO 4.3.7.2 (mainly Writer & some Calc) and MS Office 2003
(mainly Excel, with 2 self-built Access applications).

 From the responses I've seen so far (including my own) the breakdown of
preferred Operating Systems seems to be:
    15  some flavor of Linux, led by:
       4 OpenSUSE
       3 Linux Mint
       3 Ubuntu
    4 Windows 7
    1 Mac

-- Tim Deaton

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

hello,

I spent nearly 30 years with IBM, looking after mainframe customers as a
systems engineer. I was around
at the time when Bill G. convinced IBM to go his way with regard to PCs.
I still don't quite understand WHY
our people let themselves get convinced - I suppose it was mostly a
matter of Bill being an excellent salesman
and not too many technically minded people around on the side of Big
Blue. Another sad fact is that IBM did
turn its back on StarOffice, when looking for something to compete with
M$ Office. In any case - this is history!
On the other hand, somehow it looks to me as if M$ is in a state similar
to the one IBM was in around the mid
90's...

I run two computers, mainly for the administration of a traditional
Austrian windband.
- a Lenovo 4-Core system, running Debian 8, MySQL 5.5, PHP, Apache2,
Owncloud, Libreoffice, Gimp ...
   it acts as a kind of server and backup for the Internet-based server
of the band as well as of my Laptop
- a Sony Laptop (2-core). I use dual boot, but 99 p.c. I boot to Mint
18.1 with KDE. It has all the necessary stuff
   for a desktop PC on it, including kdeconnect, used for sharing and
backup with my Android phone (Xperia Z).
   On the laptop the second operating system (Windows 7) is only used
for two things:
   - a flat bed scanner HP Scanjet G2710 (which is not supported well
enough under Debian) and
   - my online banking system (ELBA) which is only supported under
Windows. It has a lot more function than
     the version used through the browser and it is also more secure...

Actually I think that there has to be better support for
"mission-critical", administrative software to REALLY
make Linux viable for "the man/woman of the road"....

In any case, I have used Linux for some 15 years now and wouldn't DREAM
of ever switching to either Apple
or - least of all - M$.

Regards from a very hot Salzburg/Austria
H. Stoellinger

Am 2015-07-22 um 17:12 schrieb Tim Deaton:

> On 7/18/2015 9:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:
>
>    The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me
> wondering: What operating environment(s) do other members of this list
> use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
>
> I'm definitely in the minority of responders so far, as I only have
> one pc, a  6-year-old home desktop running Windows 7.  My intentions
> at this time are to upgrade to Win 10 after it's been out 10-11 months
> (since it's free), depending on how things look then.
>
> I use both LO 4.3.7.2 (mainly Writer & some Calc) and MS Office 2003
> (mainly Excel, with 2 self-built Access applications).
>
> From the responses I've seen so far (including my own) the breakdown
> of preferred Operating Systems seems to be:
>    15  some flavor of Linux, led by:
>       4 OpenSUSE
>       3 Linux Mint
>       3 Ubuntu
>    4 Windows 7
>    1 Mac
>
> -- Tim Deaton

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

       and going back further to the 1940-'50s,
          IBM thought that there would not be any market for these machines
outside of financial & scientific researchers  ;-)

From: H. Stoellinger <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu
Linux]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

Regards from a very hot Salzburg/Austria
H. Stoellinger

Am 2015-07-22 um 17:12 schrieb Tim Deaton:

 On 7/18/2015 9:25 PM, James E Lang wrote:

>    The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering:
> What operating environment(s) do other members of this list use at home and
> at work? What factors influence the choice?
>
> I'm definitely in the minority of responders so far, as I only have one
> pc, a  6-year-old home desktop running Windows 7.  My intentions at this
> time are to upgrade to Win 10 after it's been out 10-11 months (since it's
> free), depending on how things look then.
>
> I use both LO 4.3.7.2 (mainly Writer & some Calc) and MS Office 2003
> (mainly Excel, with 2 self-built Access applications).
>
> From the responses I've seen so far (including my own) the breakdown of
> preferred Operating Systems seems to be:

Manfred BERTL Manfred BERTL

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

toki toki

On 07/22/2015 07:26 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>        and going back further to the 1940-'50s,
>           IBM thought that there would not be any market for these machines
> outside of financial & scientific researchers  ;-)

IBM was looking at the market potential at that specific point in time,
especially as it related to the cost of the individual computers.
Today, we'd call that the top end of the super-computer/super-cluster
market.

It was only in the mid-sixties that corporate use of computers took off,
and even then, most computer experts didn't think that individual would
be using computers, basically on the grounds that computers would be too
expensive for individuals. Maybe a few programmers would have
hand-me-downs from where they worked, but that would be about the extent
of personal computer usage.

Not even the science fiction of the fifties and sixties anticipated that
by the end of the twentieth century, computers would be as  ubiquitous
as they were.

jonathon

James Knott James Knott

On 07/22/2015 04:38 PM, toki wrote:
> Not even the science fiction of the fifties and sixties anticipated that
> by the end of the twentieth century, computers would be as  ubiquitous
> as they were.

I have a "Tricorder" app for my Android phone.  ;-)

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015, toki wrote:

> Not even the science fiction of the fifties and sixties anticipated that
> by the end of the twentieth century, computers would be as  ubiquitous
> as they were.

"In 1967 the Philco-Ford Corporation released a short film titled 1999
A.D. In it the inevitable advances of the future are demonstrated."

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRxqg4G-G4>

warning: proceeded by an advertisement.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

"What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?"
  -- The Doctor

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

       true.

       I thoroughly enjoyed the way these massive machines were portrayed
in the movies -
            filling an entire room, whirrin' with lights a-flashin'   ;-)

From: toki <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Linux]
To: [hidden email]

On 07/22/2015 07:26 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>        and going back further to the 1940-'50s,
>           IBM thought that there would not be any market for these
machines
> outside of financial & scientific researchers  ;-)

IBM was looking at the market potential at that specific point in time,
especially as it related to the cost of the individual computers.
Today, we'd call that the top end of the super-computer/super-cluster
market.

It was only in the mid-sixties that corporate use of computers took off,
and even then, most computer experts didn't think that individual would
be using computers, basically on the grounds that computers would be too
expensive for individuals. Maybe a few programmers would have
hand-me-downs from where they worked, but that would be about the extent
of personal computer usage.

Not even the science fiction of the fifties and sixties anticipated that
by the end of the twentieth century, computers would be as  ubiquitous
as they were.

jonathon

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

       true;
           although prior to that - 1965 - at the NY World's Fair, the GE
exhibit was fantastic with it's future-look.

From: Felmon Davis <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM
Linux]
To: [hidden email]

James Knott James Knott

On 07/22/2015 07:28 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>        I thoroughly enjoyed the way these massive machines were portrayed
> in the movies -
>             filling an entire room, whirrin' with lights a-flashin'

I used to maintain that sort of computer.

Graham P Davis Graham P Davis

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey [Kubuntu Linux]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:28:39 -0500
anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        I thoroughly enjoyed the way these massive machines were
> portrayed in the movies -
>             filling an entire room, whirrin' with lights
> a-flashin'   ;-)

My PC, though quite large, doesn't quite fill the room but it's whirring
away at the moment with some pretty blue lights a-flashin'.   ;-)
https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/34-phantom.html

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; Kernel: 4.1.2

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

anne-ology wrote:

 >        true.
 >
 >        I thoroughly enjoyed the way these massive machines were portrayed
 > in the movies -
 >             filling an entire room, whirrin' with lights a-flashin'   ;-)

I worked several years with large computers (CDC Cyber series).
One of my old professors used to say, years later: "First we had computers filling a whole cabinet, with the documentation on a card. Now we have computers on a card, with the documentation filling a cabinet."
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: [OT] Operating Environment Survey

On 07/21/2015 07:15 AM, Gary Collins wrote:
> My first home computer was a BBC micro (anyone remember those?) That was back in the days when programming had to be really tight, only had 32Kb (yes, Kb) of RAM; long term storage was all external on cassette tapes

My first computer was an IMSAI 8080, which I built up from bare boards
and a bag of parts.  I also had to buy a memory card and some I/O for
it.  I initially loaded in software via switches on the front panel and
then saved to cassette.  Back in those days, you knew your computer
inside out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSAI_8080
Awesome!

We didn't have computers at all at school, and I didn't really start getting into them until some time later. At that time I had no particular desire or intention to use computers except for a bit of fun programming, but eventually the twists and turns of life led me into a job programming the things. I was never any good at building hardware, though I did gain considerable knowledge (mostly long since forgotten) of how the circuitry works....
/Gary

Next » 123 « Prev