OTM documents

toki toki

OTM documents

All:

How does one construct an .OTM document?

I found the justification for including it in ODF 1.2, and who pushed
for its inclusion in LibO 4.4, and who wrote the LibO code. But narry a
word anywhere on how to create the document.

Reading source code is all very well, but it doesn't contain any hints
about how to create it.  It did provide pointers in how to disable
importing it.

Reading the original proposal --- not the one from RedHat --- one senses
that there was a very low expectation that any otm documents would be
created.

In as much as the item at
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/english/show/a-master-document-template
does not utilize the otm file format, it can not be legitimately
described as a master document template.

#####

At this stage, I'd settle for a sample.otm.

jonathon

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: OTM documents

toki wrote
> How does one construct an .OTM document?
>
> At this stage, I'd settle for a sample.otm.

Jonathon,

Just assemble one. It works as expected, if you need help perhaps see
Byfield's "Designing with LibreOffice"
<https://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/>    pgs. 324 - 342

Stuart

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: OTM documents

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 19:57:53 -0700 (MST)
V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:

> toki wrote
> > How does one construct an .OTM document?
> >
> > At this stage, I'd settle for a sample.otm.
>
> Jonathon,
>
> Just assemble one. It works as expected, if you need help perhaps see
> Byfield's "Designing with LibreOffice"
> <https://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/>    pgs. 324 - 342

I'm confused 'otm' does not appear in that book? (Whatever a .OTM is)

> Stuart

User-2 User-2

Re: OTM documents

On 19/08/2020 10:12, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 19:57:53 -0700 (MST)
> V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> toki wrote
>>> How does one construct an .OTM document?
>>>
>>> At this stage, I'd settle for a sample.otm.
>>
>> Jonathon,
>>
>> Just assemble one. It works as expected, if you need help perhaps see
>> Byfield's "Designing with LibreOffice"
>> <https://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/>    pgs. 324 - 342
>
> I'm confused 'otm' does not appear in that book? (Whatever a .OTM is)
>
>> Stuart

See page 334 "Using master documents".
OTM = OpenDocument Text Master

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: OTM documents

toki schrieb am 19-Aug-20 um 03:35:
> All:
>
> How does one construct an .OTM document?

That is a document template for master documents.

You start with making a master document. File > New > Master Document.
If you would make a normal Master Document, you would save it as "ODF
Master Document (*.odm)".
To get a document template instead, use File > Templates > 'Save as
template...'. Using that way, it is automatically managed by the
Template Manager and master documents created from this template will
have a link to the template.
Or you use File > 'Save as...' and select the type "ODF Master Document
Template (*.otm)". You can still create a master document from this
template, but it will not be linked to the template.

All that is the same as for other kind of document templates. In general
the file name extension ot* is used for document templates and od* for
normal documents.

The master document template belongs to the ODF 1.3 standard, which is
supported by LibreOffice starting with version 7.0.

Kind regards
Regina

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: OTM documents

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 11:05:56 +0100
Office User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/08/2020 10:12, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 19:57:53 -0700 (MST)
> > V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> toki wrote

> >> Jonathon,
> >>
> >> Just assemble one. It works as expected, if you need help perhaps
> >> see Byfield's "Designing with LibreOffice"
> >> <https://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/>    pgs. 324 -
> >> 342
> >
> > I'm confused 'otm' does not appear in that book? (Whatever a .OTM
> > is)
> >> Stuart
>
> See page 334 "Using master documents".
> OTM = OpenDocument Text Master

I think that page 334 describes master documents (suffix .odm) rather
than master templates (suffix .otm), which I see appear in the save
dialog as an option, so I'm still confused (or at least I was until I
read Regina's answer).