Objects in Draw move position

James Wilde James Wilde

Objects in Draw move position

I scanned in a map of our garden as I wanted to make detailed plans for
the layout of different bits of the garden.  I loaded this scanned
picture into Draw.

Next I added a number of circles of various sizes to represent trees.
The next step will be to capture a portion of the big map and enlarge it
in order to do more detailed maps of the different parts of the garden.
However, it seems that the circles for trees are not fastened to the
map.  When I move the point of focus, the map moves as I expect, to show
the new portion, but the green circles of trees stay where they are
relative to the Draw window, so that they change position on the map.

How to I pin the trees to the map?

TIA

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: Objects in Draw move position

James Wilde wrote:

> I scanned in a map of our garden as I wanted to make detailed plans for
> the layout of different bits of the garden.  I loaded this scanned
> picture into Draw.
>
> Next I added a number of circles of various sizes to represent trees.
> The next step will be to capture a portion of the big map and enlarge it
> in order to do more detailed maps of the different parts of the garden.
> However, it seems that the circles for trees are not fastened to the
> map.  When I move the point of focus, the map moves as I expect, to show
> the new portion, but the green circles of trees stay where they are
> relative to the Draw window, so that they change position on the map.
>
> How to I pin the trees to the map?

How are you moving the "point of focus"? If you're clicking and dragging
in the drawing, you're probably just moving the scanned image relative
to the page, without moving the other objects. Use the scroll bars at
the right and bottom edges to move around the page. If you have a mouse
with a wheel, you can also use that to scroll vertically, or hold shift
to scroll horizontally.

When you come to enlarging the map, you'll probably want to group all
the objects first (Edit > Select All, then Modify > Group), then resize
the group so that everything stays in proportion. Once you've got the
required size you can then ungroup the objects to work with them
individually, or work with them while still grouped via Modify > Enter
Group and Modify > Exit Group.

--
Mark.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Objects in Draw move position

Hi James,

James Wilde schrieb:

> I scanned in a map of our garden as I wanted to make detailed plans for
> the layout of different bits of the garden.  I loaded this scanned
> picture into Draw.
>
> Next I added a number of circles of various sizes to represent trees.
> The next step will be to capture a portion of the big map and enlarge it
> in order to do more detailed maps of the different parts of the garden.
> However, it seems that the circles for trees are not fastened to the
> map.  When I move the point of focus, the map moves as I expect, to show
> the new portion, but the green circles of trees stay where they are
> relative to the Draw window, so that they change position on the map.
>
> How to I pin the trees to the map?

Draw has the wonderful feature of layers. Make a new layer and insert
the map there. Then set the layer to locked. Next step make a new layer
and insert the tree-circles there, then set that layer to locked too.
And so one, make a layer for the plants, make a layer for furniture and
greenhouse, for water and electric or whatever you need.

If you do not want to start from scratch, you can drag an object onto
the tab of the new layer. It will be positioned on the new layer where
it has been on the old layer.

If you have selected an object, you can see in the statusbar, to which
layer this object belongs.

To insert a new layer right click a tab and use item "Insert layer" from
that context menu. For changing the mode of a layer activate it by click
on the tab and then right click the tab and use item "Modify layer".

To focus on a special part of the drawing use the tool "Zoom & Pan" from
the "Zoom"-toolbar. Click and drag as if you would draw a rectangle
above the area of interest. Then click on the "Select" arrow or click
Esc-key to leave that tool.

Kind regards
Regina

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Objects in Draw move position

       Ah, seems as if the pre-computer method was much simpler ...
          each time I drew a plan, all I needed was a straight-edge &
pencils  ;-)

From: Regina Henschel <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Objects in Draw move position