Odd libreoffice directory under /usr/lib

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Odd libreoffice directory under /usr/lib

While looking into the issue I reported about LO 7 not starting
properly (which is SOLVED, thank you), I noticed another anomaly.

While chasing after the JRE load error that the --nologo option seems
to provoke, I discovered the following strange situation:

$ loc javaldx
/opt/libreoffice6.4/program/javaldx
/opt/libreoffice7.0/program/javaldx
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/javaldx

("loc" is an alias I use to run "locate" with certain exclusions and
piped through more - not a problem.)

I can understand the /opt locations, but the /usr/lib location seemed
pretty strange to me since LO doesn't install under /usr anymore.  The
dates on the files under /usr/lib/libreoffice/program (the only entity
in /usr/lib/libreoffice) were all in 2019.

I moved all of these files into a zip file and there does not appear
to be any impact on my ability to run LO.

Can I just delete those old /usr/lib files?  I believe they are the
last remnant of an older installation, maybe the default that comes
with Xubuntu (which I usually uninstall because I like the newer code
better).

Thanks.

Mark

Luuk Luuk

Re: Odd libreoffice directory under /usr/lib

On 5-9-2020 23:07, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> While looking into the issue I reported about LO 7 not starting
> properly (which is SOLVED, thank you), I noticed another anomaly.
>
> While chasing after the JRE load error that the --nologo option seems
> to provoke, I discovered the following strange situation:
>
> $ loc javaldx
> /opt/libreoffice6.4/program/javaldx
> /opt/libreoffice7.0/program/javaldx
> /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/javaldx
>
> ("loc" is an alias I use to run "locate" with certain exclusions and
> piped through more - not a problem.)

It is not an error, it is just a warning that it cannot find java.

to solve it use:

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre

The 'documentation' is no really helpful ( a bit old):

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/InstallJava

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: Odd libreoffice directory under /usr/lib

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

(I should have known to check it out myself.)

Mark