One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6 better

charles meyer charles meyer

One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6 better

Hi Folks,

I wondered if anyone has stumbled upon any short list of why is LO 6 better
than older versions?

Thanks so much!

Charles.

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6 better

Hi Charles and all:

         In this link you can find the Release Notes of LibreOffice 6.0.
There are by Type of Program: Write, Calc, and so on, and other more
complex about Core and more. All of them has at least a brief comment
about its features. As you can see, the LibreOffice versions before LO
6.0, haven't these features.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.0

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 03/28/2018 08:23 PM, charles meyer wrote:

> I wondered if anyone has stumbled upon any short list of why is LO 6 better than older versions?

"Better Than" literally depends upon the specific user, and why they use
LibO.

By way of example, for those that use LibO for 3D modelling, LibO 5.4 is
better than 6.0, because some core functionality related to 3D design
was removed from LibO.

OTOH, for authors, LibO 6.0 is better, because one can export directly
to ePub.

For people who write in German, the "Grammar By" spell checking feature
in LibO 6.0 is (or at least will be, once suitable dictionaries are
available) a welcome addition, and hence makes LibO 6.0 better than LibO
5.4.

jonathon

charles meyer charles meyer

Re: One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6 better

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so very much for sharing that.

I wish there was more vetting like his when new releases of software
are published.

Newer isn't always better for some users and you've kindly shared
an excellent point for those using LO for 3D modelling,

Any others on this list find that older LO versions fit their needs better
than 6.0 or even 5.4?

Thanks you!

Charles.

From: toki <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 00:41:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6
better
On 03/28/2018 08:23 PM, charles meyer wrote:

> I wondered if anyone has stumbled upon any short list of why is LO 6
better than older versions?

"Better Than" literally depends upon the specific user, and why they use
LibO.

By way of example, for those that use LibO for 3D modelling, LibO 5.4 is
better than 6.0, because some core functionality related to 3D design
was removed from LibO.

OTOH, for authors, LibO 6.0 is better, because one can export directly
to ePub.

For people who write in German, the "Grammar By" spell checking feature
in LibO 6.0 is (or at least will be, once suitable dictionaries are
available) a welcome addition, and hence makes LibO 6.0 better than LibO
5.4.

jonathon

charles meyer charles meyer

Re: One sheet with bullet points - why LO 6 better

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for sharing that link.

I'm really interested in the "why's" or "why nots" to upgrade to LO 6 as
Jonathan has generously shared.

My apologies for not framing my question better.

Charles.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 03/30/2018 06:06 PM, charles meyer wrote:
> I'm really interested in the "why's" or "why nots" to upgrade to LO 6 as

With the quasi-adaption of agile development, The use cases/user stories
should make it easy to create one page sheets saying who will find the
new version better, and who will find an older version better.
Unfortunately, I've been unable to find very few use case/user stories,
to construct the relevant points.

I realize that in some cases, functionality is removed, because none of
the developers know why it is present, or the circumstances in which it
is used. (Don't blame the devs for that, for a company that insisted on
detailed descriptions of what each function and capability was supposed
to do, and how it was to do that, there is a shocking amount of
completely undocumented functionality with the LibO Code Base. This lack
of knowledge about existing functionality, gets translated into users
being completely unaware of some of the things that LibO can do.)

jonathon