Open Badges

Heiko Tietze-5 Heiko Tietze-5

Open Badges

Dear design fellows,

TDF plans to introduce badges [1] that are meant to award and recognize contributions made to the project in the various aspects. And we, the design team, got asked to provide catchy stickers. Some examples have been done a couple of years ago [2] looking pretty good. But since the project has grown we also need more stickers.

We will have seven content types with different categories depending on the content:
* Infra: Patrol the wiki, Moderate lists, Admin LO instances, Attend meetings, Main sys admin group
* Development: Building LO, Attend ESC meetings, Admit to ESC, First commit, n commits, Contribute with unit tests
* QA: Report bugs, Confirm bugs, Comment bugs, Bibisect, Improve report metadata, Triage bugs, Mentor people, Report blogs item, Write UI tests, Write cpp unit tests, Write unit tests in Python, Attend meetings, Participate to BHS, Check regressions, Verify fixed bugs
* Documentation: Write a FAQ entry, Write a guide chapter, Proof read a contribution, Write a HC entry, Commit a HC entry, Write an How-To/tutorial, Register a video, Write wiki page, attended x meetings
* UX/Design: Attend meetings, n added icon to a set, n added comments on BZ, meta categorization, file a ticket, comments on tickets, share ideas/mockups, write blog entry
* Localization: Translate UI, Translate Help, Translate website, Translate LOOL, Translate PR, Translation marathon, Translate Video,
Translate Documentation, Translate Mktg material, Review translations, Maintain NLP sites
* Native language project: All contributions in native language, local events organization, local events attendance, local blogs
* Community/Social marketing: Design material, Website contribution, Blog contribution, Booth attendance, Events attendance, SSO account
* Product marketing: Attend meetings
* Community support (Ask LibO): Moderation, Answering, Asking, Tagging/cleaning
* Misc: Consolation prize, Membership Committee member, Board member, LibreLadies member

As you can see, the of badgable activities can be improved (suggestions welcome). So the artwork needs to be flexible. Some activities have levels, for example bronze for submitting 1 patch, silver for 100, and gold for 1000. I would show this by color and stars on the image.

So putting all together, the idea is to draw images that ideally are easy to recognize as related to TDF (donkey ear) with shapes per content (eg. shield, circle, star, book, pentagon...) and different icons inside. The frame may or may not receive decorations (ie. stars). A rough draft of the idea is here https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/PFLzsXxTEaTaiz3

Everyone who is capable of visual artwork, please help with design of those badges. More ideas and opinions are welcome too, of course.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Heiko

[1] https://openbadges.org/ (formerly https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges)
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Badges
--
Dr. Heiko Tietze, UX-Designer and UX-Mentor
Tel: +49 30 5557992-63 | Mail: [hidden email]

79045 79045 79045 79045

Re: [libreoffice-design] Open Badges

Hello all.
I don’t like the idea about «Some activities have levels, for example bronze for submitting 1 patch, silver for 100, and gold for 1000. I would show this by color and stars on the image.» because it will be badly for Documentation team. I can write only one own guide or only two chapters for existing guide and it will be already huge contribution into our project but it will be only bronze =(
I suggest use bronze/silver/gold levels only for Development/QA/Localization/UI when you can make thousands actions like submit patches, file a bug report, translate 100500 words in the pootle.

Roman Kuznetsov

> [...]

>Everyone who is capable of visual artwork, please help with design of those badges. More ideas and opinions are welcome too, of course.
>
>Cheers and thanks in advance,
>Heiko
>
>[1]  https://openbadges.org/ (formerly  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges )
>[2]  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Badges
>--
>Dr. Heiko Tietze, UX-Designer and UX-Mentor
>Tel:  +49 30 5557992-63 | Mail:  [hidden email]
>The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
>Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: Open Badges

some annoying questions:
1. Timeline?
2. Are my proposals [2] also in the discussion? Or do you want only new
design?
3. Where to collect the ideas? On the whiteboard [2] or on a new page?
4. Where to discuss? Here or on Telegram?

Am 24.07.2019 um 08:15 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
[...]
> [2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Badges>

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Open Badges

I like the shield logos on whiteboard. Maybe with bright colors and fine.

As in libo each app has it's specific color, I would suggest to have for
each part an specific color. Eg. From the standard color palette, cause
branding is for app and mime icons.

Have fun
Andreas

On 24.07.19 08:50, K-J LibreOffice wrote:
> Hi,
> some annoying questions:
> 1. Timeline?

Q3/2019

> 2. Are my proposals [2] also in the discussion? Or do you want only new
> design?

Of course they are. But since we have 7 contents each by ~5 categories we need more badges. The shield could be used for infra, for example.

> 3. Where to collect the ideas? On the whiteboard [2] or on a new page?

Either the wiki, or on Nextcloud (my document is writable), or anywhere else.

> 4. Where to discuss? Here or on Telegram?

Both sources are good. Andreas and Rizal are active on Telegram.

On 24.07.19 08:41, Роман К. wrote:
> I don’t like the idea about «Some activities have levels, for example bronze for submitting 1 patch, silver for 100, and gold for 1000. I would show this by color and stars on the image.» because it will be badly for Documentation team. I can write only one own guide or only two chapters for existing guide and it will be already huge contribution into our project but it will be only bronze =(

Well, some activities cannot be counted. But others have a quantitative aspect and somehow we need to cover it.

> I suggest use bronze/silver/gold levels only for Development/QA/Localization/UI when you can make thousands actions like submit patches, file a bug report, translate 100500 words in the pootle.

That's the idea. Some badges are "plain" other for countable activities have decorations. I just mentioned this because of the basic information we need to show: content such as dev, qa, infra... (by shape), category meaning the actual task done (by icon), and level or number of contributions in this task, if applicable (by stars/colors).

On 24.07.19 09:24, kainz.a wrote:
> As in libo each app has it's specific color, I would suggest to have for
> each part an specific color. Eg. From the standard color palette, cause
> branding is for app and mime icons.

Color coding has limits and I doubt we can easily distinguish contents or tasks by color. But share your ideas and we talk about it.

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Open Badges

As already written I like the shield layout and about the categories we can
use crowns or banners like it was done for origin coat of arms. I'm not
sure if you'd like to mix different contents but at shield's it's not a big
issue to have 2, 4 elements on it.

https://imgur.com/a/P6iploI

as I'd like to update the LibO app icon, I propos an more simple background
and I think the donkey ear is to big. In addition I read from time to time,
the donkey ear should be used only for TDF.

cheers
Andreas_K

Am Mi., 24. Juli 2019 um 09:47 Uhr schrieb Heiko Tietze <
[hidden email]>:

> On 24.07.19 09:24, kainz.a wrote:
> > As in libo each app has it's specific color, I would suggest to have for
> > each part an specific color. Eg. From the standard color palette, cause
> > branding is for app and mime icons.
>
> Color coding has limits and I doubt we can easily distinguish contents or
> tasks by color. But share your ideas and we talk about it.

Heiko Tietze-5 Heiko Tietze-5

Re: Open Badges

Cannot follow in detail but feel free to share some artwork.

On 29.07.19 00:51, kainz.a wrote:
> As already written I like the shield layout and about the categories we can use crowns or banners like it was done for origin coat of arms. I'm not sure if you'd like to mix different contents but at shield's it's not a big issue to have 2, 4 elements on it.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/P6iploI
>
> as I'd like to update the LibO app icon, I propos an more simple background and I think the donkey ear is to big. In addition I read from time to time, the donkey ear should be used only for TDF.
>
> cheers
> Andreas_K

Leo Moons-3 Leo Moons-3

Re: Open Badges

Hej friends,

I would add another "chapter": Conference: Attending conference, giving
a presentation during the conference, organising a conference,
organising an activity during/after conference, ...

Best regards

Leo

Op 24/07/19 om 08:15 schreef Heiko Tietze:

> [...]
>
> As you can see, the of badgable activities can be improved (suggestions welcome). So the artwork needs to be flexible. Some activities have levels, for example bronze for submitting 1 patch, silver for 100, and gold for 1000. I would show this by color and stars on the image.
>
> So putting all together, the idea is to draw images that ideally are easy to recognize as related to TDF (donkey ear) with shapes per content (eg. shield, circle, star, book, pentagon...) and different icons inside. The frame may or may not receive decorations (ie. stars). A rough draft of the idea is here https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/PFLzsXxTEaTaiz3
>
> Everyone who is capable of visual artwork, please help with design of those badges. More ideas and opinions are welcome too, of course.

sophie sophie

Re: Open Badges

Hi Leo,
Le 29/07/2019 à 14:50, Leo Moons a écrit :
> Hej friends,
>
> I would add another "chapter": Conference: Attending conference, giving
> a presentation during the conference, organising a conference,
> organising an activity during/after conference, ...

Thanks for your feedback, part of your suggestion is already under
Community/Social Marketing, but I'll add: organizing during/after and
also helping in organization.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Open Badges

Hi

I have some proposals for badges

As we need around 100 different badges and it's much work and not really
flexible to make for each subsection a new badge I recommend to use Text to
make the different badges. This will help us to make individual badges and
we have a unified look.

SysAdmin badge there you can see it's for LibreOffice (it use also the LO
shape) for SysAdmin work you get 3 stars and it's part of the InfraTeam.
It's clear simple, use the LO brands and will fit also an proposal for new
app icons.
https://imgur.com/PrXC2dx

This is how it would look like for the Group Design Team. Each Team has an
specific shape in the center.
https://imgur.com/qFd1CX1

Variant with different shapes
https://imgur.com/LNLvsE4 (I like this more than the next one)
https://imgur.com/TPMPr14
"problem" is that with 3 out of 5 stars the badget get an rating (you could
be better)

If you like different colors for the rating, this is how it would look
like.
https://imgur.com/zcalfnK

If you will have something that's more wide than high,
similar to the LibO branding (maybe branding issues)
https://imgur.com/a5jQoIG
with the shield
https://imgur.com/JFs40hN

All the images will work also very well as sticker for our sticker contest.
All Images are available here https://imgur.com/a/wSUx6xo

Thanks
Andreas_K