Open LO files via IE Explorer

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

Open LO files via IE Explorer

I have another question.
I noticed, since I am using Windows 8.1 (2-3 months ago), currently LO
Version: 4.4.3.2,
that attempts at opening files from the IE Explorer (this thing seems to
have another name, but can't remember it) file view
VERY OFTEN (almost always) "fail".

With "fail" I mean:
I have for example one Writer and one Calc file open. No errors at all,
just ordinary work.
Then I click on a WRITER/CALC file somewhere on my disks.
-> Nothing happens.
No matter what I try.

-> I close the Writer/Calc files one by one. Still nothing happens.
-> I close LibreOffice -> immediately a "file recovery" screen opens and
tells me, it is recovering the files I was working on.
-> Once that is done, the file I clicked in the Explorer view ALSO opens.

This did NOT happen with my old Windows XP machines, not on 3 different
Linux machines
and as far as I remember not with earlier versions of LibreOffice.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thank you
Thomas

Rob Rob

Re: Open LO files via IE Explorer

Is this the same problem as described in the following thread?

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/msg45235.html

Rob.

krackedpress krackedpress

On 07/14/2015 07:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> I have another question.
> I noticed, since I am using Windows 8.1 (2-3 months ago), currently LO
> Version: 4.4.3.2,
> that attempts at opening files from the IE Explorer (this thing seems to
> have another name, but can't remember it) file view
> VERY OFTEN (almost always) "fail".
>
> With "fail" I mean:
> I have for example one Writer and one Calc file open. No errors at all,
> just ordinary work.
> Then I click on a WRITER/CALC file somewhere on my disks.
> -> Nothing happens.
> No matter what I try.
>
> -> I close the Writer/Calc files one by one. Still nothing happens.
> -> I close LibreOffice -> immediately a "file recovery" screen opens and
> tells me, it is recovering the files I was working on.
> -> Once that is done, the file I clicked in the Explorer view ALSO opens.
>
> This did NOT happen with my old Windows XP machines, not on 3 different
> Linux machines
> and as far as I remember not with earlier versions of LibreOffice.
>
> Does anybody know anything about this?
>
> Thank you
> Thomas

Let me get this correct. . .
You are exploring the document folders, with Windows built-in
file/folder manager - i.e. Windows Explorer?

"IE is Internet Explorer."

Then you try to open the LO Writer/Calc document from there instead of
finding the file withing LibreOffice's "File/Open" menu?

With Win7 you click onto the file or right click to get the menu and
choose "open"? Plus, similar with Linux systems.

Since you are trying this with a Win8.1 system, this does not work?

That part of the question points to a file association issue - Win8 does
not know that the LO documents should open LO when clicked. I do not
know if this will fix this in Win 8.1, except maybe you should try and
see if right clicking on the file and choosing an "open with" option and
choosing which application is associated with the file type. I hope
Win8.1 did not get rid of that option. I would use that that for XP,
Win7, and Linux. I do not have an Win8.x system, just Win7 [Home and
Pro] and Linux [Ubuntu and Linux Mint] systems to work with.

On 2015/07/14 20:58, Rob Jasper wrote:
> Is this the same problem as described in the following thread?
>
> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/msg45235.html
>
> Rob.

No. IE Explorer does not stop working.
It is just: pointing the cursor at ANY LibreOffice file, anywhere, then
double-click or right-click -> open
results in the described LibreOffice error.
Thomas

On 2015/07/14 23:00, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> On 07/14/2015 07:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>> With "fail" I mean:
>> I have for example one Writer and one Calc file open. No errors at all,
>> just ordinary work.
>> Then I click on a WRITER/CALC file somewhere on my disks.
>> -> Nothing happens.
>> No matter what I try.
>>
>> That part of the question points to a file association issue - Win8 does
>> not know that the LO documents should open LO when clicked. I do not
>> know if this will fix this in Win 8.1, except maybe you should try and
>> see if right clicking on the file and choosing an "open with" option and
>> choosing which application is associated with the file type. I hope
>> Win8.1 did not get rid of that option. I would use that that for XP,
>> Win7, and Linux. I do not have an Win8.x system, just Win7 [Home and
>> Pro] and Linux [Ubuntu and Linux Mint] systems to work with.

File association IS set to LibreOffice (relevant files).
So, this does not help.

jmadero jmadero

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015/07/14 23:00, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
> > On 07/14/2015 07:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> >> With "fail" I mean:
> >> I have for example one Writer and one Calc file open. No errors at all,
> >> just ordinary work.
> >> Then I click on a WRITER/CALC file somewhere on my disks.
> >> -> Nothing happens.
> >> No matter what I try.
> >>
> >> That part of the question points to a file association issue - Win8 does
> >> not know that the LO documents should open LO when clicked. I do not
> >> know if this will fix this in Win 8.1, except maybe you should try and
> >> see if right clicking on the file and choosing an "open with" option and
> >> choosing which application is associated with the file type. I hope
> >> Win8.1 did not get rid of that option. I would use that that for XP,
> >> Win7, and Linux. I do not have an Win8.x system, just Win7 [Home and
> >> Pro] and Linux [Ubuntu and Linux Mint] systems to work with.
> >>
> File association IS set to LibreOffice (relevant files).
> So, this does not help.

I am 95% sure that this bug has been reported. I am at work so I can't take
the time to look but I'm pretty sure you could find it if you look at
bugs.documentfoundation.org.

Best,
Joel

--
*Joel Madero*
LibreOffice QA Volunteer

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Open LO files via IE Explorer

@Thomas,

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 wrote
[...]

Once check for a correct file association, and registration of LibreOffice as a Windows 8/8.1 Desktop application...

When you attempt opening with the Windows Explorer GUI,  also have a look at the LibreOffice main  menu's -> Window menu for the open component.  Does it show just the original  open document(s), or are there now two (or more) documents of the component type listed?

And, if more than one is listed, can you select it from the Window menu?
Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

 > I have another question.
 > I noticed, since I am using Windows 8.1 (2-3 months ago), currently LO
 > Version: 4.4.3.2,
 > that attempts at opening files from the IE Explorer (this thing seems to
 > have another name, but can't remember it) file view
 > VERY OFTEN (almost always) "fail".
 >
 > With "fail" I mean:
 > I have for example one Writer and one Calc file open. No errors at all,
 > just ordinary work.
 > Then I click on a WRITER/CALC file somewhere on my disks.
 > -> Nothing happens.
 > No matter what I try.
 >
 > -> I close the Writer/Calc files one by one. Still nothing happens.
 > -> I close LibreOffice -> immediately a "file recovery" screen opens and
 > tells me, it is recovering the files I was working on.
 > -> Once that is done, the file I clicked in the Explorer view ALSO opens.
 >
 > This did NOT happen with my old Windows XP machines, not on 3 different
 > Linux machines
 > and as far as I remember not with earlier versions of LibreOffice.
 >
 > Does anybody know anything about this?

What I think is happening is this (it happened to me on Mac OS X also):

The previous time you had LO open it crashed. Now you double-click a file and LO opens. Because of the crash it opens the recovery dialog, but then it immediately opens the file that you double-clicked, and that window obscures the recovery dialog. However, LO wants you to finish the recovery dialog first, so it refuses to do anything else.

So what you can do is switch windows until the recovery dialog gets focus and finish it. Then the opened file can be worked on.

I think LO should always give focus to the recovery dialog, even if there is a file opened.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/