Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

Jerry Greenberg Jerry Greenberg

Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?

Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.

Thanks!

Jerry Greenberg

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 00:03 -0400, Jerry Greenberg wrote:

> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>
> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>

> Thanks!
> Jerry Greenberg

     Yes, and you can have more than one version of LO. Presently I have
installed LO 3.4.6 and  3.5.2 besides AOO 3.4.0 which is in Beta
testing.
     One of the few problems that you may have is in the menu (Programs
> All programs in Windows).

--Dan

rossca1 rossca1

Il 19/04/2012 6.03, Jerry Greenberg ha scritto:

> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>
> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Jerry Greenberg

Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
the registry the same associations. If you have encountered crashes with
Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

Jerry,

On 04/19/2012 12:03 AM, Jerry Greenberg wrote:

> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>
> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Jerry Greenberg

See the following wiki article for instructions about parallel
installations http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel.
It should work with parallel installation of OOo and LO.

OOo is now in the Apache Incubator stage with the Apache Foundation. I
understand Apache plans to fully support OOo but because of Oracle's
lack of effort OOo has lost some development time.

--
Jay Lozier

Caesar Caesar

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:34:39 +0200, "R.S."
<[hidden email]> wrote Re Re: [libreoffice-users] Open
Office and Libre Office Questions...:

>Il 19/04/2012 6.03, Jerry Greenberg ha scritto:
>>
>> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>>
>> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>>
>Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
>the registry the same associations. If you have encountered crashes with
>Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
>I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
>of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.

You can probably avoid any such conflicts by using a "portable"
version of LO from here:
http://portableapps.com/news/2012-04-16_-_libreoffice_portable_3.5.2_released

for more info, see this:
http://portableapps.com/support/libreoffice_portable

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

I really do not think having LO and AOO on the same computer works
properly for most users.  LO is well beyond what AOO is at, and LO
people have cleaned out so much of the old/bad/outdated code that it
would be a real catch-up act for AOO to give you the same features and
such that LO have given us since mid-3.3.x line.  I use 3.4.6, but will
got to 3.5.x when it get some of its issues fixed that are specific for
my needs.

Yes, you can have LO and AOO installed on the same computer.
No, you cannot run both at the same time.
No, it is not something that works well for most users.

Yes, it is your choice to try.

On 04/19/2012 08:49 AM, Caesar wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:34:39 +0200, "R.S."
> <[hidden email]>  wrote Re Re: [libreoffice-users] Open
> Office and Libre Office Questions...:
>
>> Il 19/04/2012 6.03, Jerry Greenberg ha scritto:
>>> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>>>
>>> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>>>
>> Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
>> the registry the same associations. If you have encountered crashes with
>> Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
>> I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
>> of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.
> You can probably avoid any such conflicts by using a "portable"
> version of LO from here:
> http://portableapps.com/news/2012-04-16_-_libreoffice_portable_3.5.2_released
>
> for more info, see this:
> http://portableapps.com/support/libreoffice_portable

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

John Bijnens John Bijnens

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

I thought after the fork of LibreOffice Oracle gave the source code of OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation.
IBM donated the source code of their OpenOffice fork called Lotus Symphony also to the Apache Foundation.
If I've read everything correctly the Apache Foundation has a special policy called the Incubation this is a period of time during which amongst lots of other
things the new project is kept under quarantine for patent issues and to see whether the project is viable.
I thought this period of time is practically over and a new release of OpenOffice can be expected during the second half of this year.

I have OpenOffice installed on my laptop and I have LibreOffice as a portable app on an external hard drive in case I need it.
I prefer OpenOffice because, although it lacks some features available in LibreOffice which I don't use that often, it is much stabler and thus more of use in a
production environment. Of course this is my personal impression, things can be different for someone else.

Best regards,

     John Bijnens

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

On 2012-04-19 8:18 AM  webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
> Yes, you can have LO and AOO installed on the same computer.
True
> No, you cannot run both at the same time.
You can run both programs at the same time on a Mac.

> No, it is not something that works well for most users.
Works well for me.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Helen-2 Helen-2

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

I've also been wondering how I can go back to OpenOffice, wondering
whether I should uninstall LibreOffice first.
I've had trouble with LibreOffice refusing to print in landscape mode.
 I googled and learned that it's a known issue -- at least a few
people have reported this.  I've tried everything I know (not much) to
fix it, but, although Print Preview looks fine, anything printed
in landscape mode is distorted.  So I'm thinking of getting rid of
Libre Office and re-installing Open Office.  I'm not a sophisticated
user and  not even sure I know how to do this correctly.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM, John Bijnens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought after the fork of LibreOffice Oracle gave the source code of
> OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation.
> IBM donated the source code of their OpenOffice fork called Lotus Symphony
> also to the Apache Foundation.
> If I've read everything correctly the Apache Foundation has a special policy
> called the Incubation this is a period of time during which amongst lots of
> other things the new project is kept under quarantine for patent issues and
> to see whether the project is viable.
> I thought this period of time is practically over and a new release of
> OpenOffice can be expected during the second half of this year.
>
> I have OpenOffice installed on my laptop and I have LibreOffice as a
> portable app on an external hard drive in case I need it.
> I prefer OpenOffice because, although it lacks some features available in
> LibreOffice which I don't use that often, it is much stabler and thus more
> of use in a production environment. Of course this is my personal
> impression, things can be different for someone else.
>
> Best regards,
>
>    John Bijnens
>

> On 19/04/2012 16:18, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
>>

>> I really do not think having LO and AOO on the same computer works
>> properly for most users.  LO is well beyond what AOO is at, and LO people
>> have cleaned out so much of the old/bad/outdated code that it would be a
>> real catch-up act for AOO to give you the same features and such that LO
>> have given us since mid-3.3.x line.  I use 3.4.6, but will got to 3.5.x when
>> it get some of its issues fixed that are specific for my needs.
>>
>> Yes, you can have LO and AOO installed on the same computer.
>> No, you cannot run both at the same time.
>> No, it is not something that works well for most users.
>>
>> Yes, it is your choice to try.
>>
>> On 04/19/2012 08:49 AM, Caesar wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:34:39 +0200, "R.S."
>>> <[hidden email]>  wrote Re Re: [libreoffice-users] Open
>>> Office and Libre Office Questions...:

>>> You can probably avoid any such conflicts by using a "portable"
>>> version of LO from here:
>>>
>>> http://portableapps.com/news/2012-04-16_-_libreoffice_portable_3.5.2_released
>>>
>>> for more info, see this:
>>> http://portableapps.com/support/libreoffice_portable

Helen Etters
using Linux, suse11.4

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 04/19/2012 12:36 PM, Helen wrote:
> I've also been wondering how I can go back to OpenOffice, wondering
> whether I should uninstall LibreOffice first.
> I've had trouble with LibreOffice refusing to print in landscape mode.
>   I googled and learned that it's a known issue -- at least a few
> people have reported this.  I've tried everything I know (not much) to
> fix it, but, although Print Preview looks fine, anything printed
> in landscape mode is distorted.  So I'm thinking of getting rid of
> Libre Office and re-installing Open Office.  I'm not a sophisticated
> user and  not even sure I know how to do this correctly.

In Windows uninstall LO first, then install OOo, I forget the exact
steps. In Linux use your package manager to uninstall LO and Install
OOo. I have no idea for a Mac.
<snip>

--
Jay Lozier

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

John Bijnens wrote (19-04-12 16:56)

> I have OpenOffice installed on my laptop and I have LibreOffice as a
> portable app on an external hard drive in case I need it.
> I prefer OpenOffice because, although it lacks some features available
> in LibreOffice which I don't use that often, it is much stabler and thus
> more of use in a production environment. Of course this is my personal
> impression, things can be different for someone else.

There are many bugs from OpenOffice code removed from the LibreOffice code.
People running Libreoffice as a server application, that ran OpenOffice
before, are extremely clear in their experience: it's much and much stabler.
And the biggest bug from OpenOffice code is being worked on too at
LibreOffice: cleaning up the whole thing, make it ready for future.
This gives regressions, temporarily. Alas. But the other improvements
outweigh that, by far.
Ah well, you will find out yourself the next months, years maybe  ;-)

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Tom Tom

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

This guide might help
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 00:03 -0400, Jerry Greenberg wrote:

> Is it possible to have both Libre Office and Open Office installed at the same time on the same computer?
>
> Are there going to be any new updates for Open Office. I read that since Oracle took over they have not been very keen on supporting Open Office.
>

> Thanks!
> Jerry Greenberg

     Yes, and you can have more than one version of LO. Presently I have
installed LO 3.4.6 and  3.5.2 besides AOO 3.4.0 which is in Beta
testing.
     One of the few problems that you may have is in the menu (Programs
> All programs in Windows).

--Dan

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 19.04.2012 14:34, R.S. wrote:
> Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
> the registry the same associations.

So what? There can be many programs to open a certain type of files. But
only one program that loads a given file on a double-click.
On my Linux laptop I have 5 different viewers and editors for the same
types of picture files. I don't know the amount of multi-media players
on my system. Not all of them appear in the main menu.

I have OOo 1.1.5, 3.3, 3.4, LibO 3.3.4 and 3.5.2 on the same machine.
That is 5 versions of the same office suite. I removed OOo 2.4.3 by
mistake recently.
Of course, only one particular version will be used when I double-click
some ODF document. A double-click on a Microsoft file opens in AbiWord
or Gnumeric respectively. I am the one who controls all these most
trivial settings and I know many ways to load some file into a
particular application.
The foremost purpose of any desktop environment is free choice between
all the installed applications. Someone who is unable to load the same
file into another application is definitively computer illiterate and
should do something against it.

If you have encountered crashes with
> Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
> I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
> of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.

Try another user profile and install properly[*]. Contrary to re-install
and version hopping, resetting the profile really helps in many cases.

[*] A proper installation includes an md5sum check of the downloaded
file before installation. On a Windows box one should cut off the
internet connection and disable the virus scanner during the install
process. Disable any update notification and the nasty quick-starter.

Tom Tom

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

It's fine to have OOo installed and to keep using it.  I like the use of portable apps to make sure you can always use something like OOo when you are on different machines.  Altogether a good choice and for good, valid reasons.

There are little wrinkles in the history where Oracle ignored TDF's requests to join in with joint ventures and then Oracle amusingly tried to race against and out-manoeuvre LO but managed to trip over their own shoelaces.  Apache are unlikely to take OOo in unpleasant and stupid directions so it's fine to stick with it.

I thought after the fork of LibreOffice Oracle gave the source code of OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation.
IBM donated the source code of their OpenOffice fork called Lotus Symphony also to the Apache Foundation.
If I've read everything correctly the Apache Foundation has a special policy called the Incubation this is a period of time during which amongst lots of other
things the new project is kept under quarantine for patent issues and to see whether the project is viable.
I thought this period of time is practically over and a new release of OpenOffice can be expected during the second half of this year.

I have OpenOffice installed on my laptop and I have LibreOffice as a portable app on an external hard drive in case I need it.
I prefer OpenOffice because, although it lacks some features available in LibreOffice which I don't use that often, it is much stabler and thus more of use in a
production environment. Of course this is my personal impression, things can be different for someone else.

Best regards,

     John Bijnens

On 19/04/2012 16:18, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> I really do not think having LO and AOO on the same computer works properly for most users.  LO is well beyond what AOO is at, and LO people have cleaned out
> so much of the old/bad/outdated code that it would be a real catch-up act for AOO to give you the same features and such that LO have given us since mid-3.3.x
> line.  I use 3.4.6, but will got to 3.5.x when it get some of its issues fixed that are specific for my needs.
>
> Yes, you can have LO and AOO installed on the same computer.
> No, you cannot run both at the same time.
> No, it is not something that works well for most users.
>
> Yes, it is your choice to try.
>
> On 04/19/2012 08:49 AM, Caesar wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:34:39 +0200, "R.S."
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote Re Re: [libreoffice-users] Open
>> Office and Libre Office Questions...:

>>> Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
>>> the registry the same associations. If you have encountered crashes with
>>> Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
>>> I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
>>> of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.
>> You can probably avoid any such conflicts by using a "portable"
>> version of LO from here:
>> http://portableapps.com/news/2012-04-16_-_libreoffice_portable_3.5.2_released
>>
>> for more info, see this:
>> http://portableapps.com/support/libreoffice_portable

Tom Tom

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

Very few people know to right-click on a file and use something like "Open With ..." or to open a program from the menus and then drag a document onto it.  Just because you are an extremely sophisticated user doesn't mean everyone knows the stuff you consider simple.

Just today one of my more sophisticated and computer-savvy colleagues wanted me to uninstall Foxit and reinstall Adobe Reader because he thought that if he sent pdfs to other people then when they opened it on their machines it would open in Foxit (even if they didn't have Foxit installed!).  He was worried that might confuse them because he has never heard of Foxit before! [deep sigh]

Btw is there a nice OpenSource pdf reader rather than a Freeware one on Windows?  Hmmm, guess i wil gooogle it later.

> Hi, although it colud be possible, the installation program registers on
> the registry the same associations.

So what? There can be many programs to open a certain type of files. But only one program that loads a given file on a double-click.
On my Linux laptop I have 5 different viewers and editors for the same types of picture files. I don't know the amount of multi-media players on my system. Not all of them appear in the main menu.

I have OOo 1.1.5, 3.3, 3.4, LibO 3.3.4 and 3.5.2 on the same machine. That is 5 versions of the same office suite. I removed OOo 2.4.3 by mistake recently.
Of course, only one particular version will be used when I double-click some ODF document. A double-click on a Microsoft file opens in AbiWord or Gnumeric respectively. I am the one who controls all these most trivial settings and I know many ways to load some file into a particular application.
The foremost purpose of any desktop environment is free choice between all the installed applications. Someone who is unable to load the same file into another application is definitively computer illiterate and should do something against it.

If you have encountered crashes with
> Libreoffice 3.5.2.2 try using version 3.4.6.
> I prefer using Libreoffice because it is more efficient and it has a lot
> of functions that are not included in OpenOffice.

Try another user profile and install properly[*]. Contrary to re-install and version hopping, resetting the profile really helps in many cases.

[*] A proper installation includes an md5sum check of the downloaded file before installation. On a Windows box one should cut off the internet connection and disable the virus scanner during the install process. Disable any update notification and the nasty quick-starter.

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Tom Tom

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

HI :)
Now that is interesting!  It's not often that we hear form Mac users so information is a bit scant. The docs team could really use someone with Mac knowledge.  There are a couple of people already but they mostly focus on Windows or Gnu&Linux.

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Tom Tom

Re: Open Office and Libre Office Questions...

It wasn't straight-away after!  They struggled with it for about a year but found that is was a bit of a mill-stone around their neck so after a year's failed efforts at trying to make it into something people would have to pay for they 'lent it' to Apache who they were fighting in court over some other issues.  Apache seem to be doing quite fine with it.