OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

slacka slacka

OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

I just reinstalled windows 10, LODE, and VS2013. Now my new builds are failing OpenCL Unit tests. This is not a regression as I built the same version as I made on my old OS. After disabled the failing Unit Tests, I discovered that the new binaries enable OpenCL by default, where as in my old binary I cannot even enable OpenCL.

Did something change in new Cygwin/LODE env that's causing OpenCL to be enabled now?

Unrelated, but the new Cygwin has this garbage to every line of the build:
[CUT

GPU: intel HD 5500
Driver: 20.19.15.4404

Here's a sniped down build log:

ScOpenCLTest::testStatisticalFormulaStDevPA1 finished in: 78ms
ScOpenCLTest::testFinancialMDurationFormula1 finished in: 125ms
D:/cygwin/home/Hearthstone/lode/dev/core/sc/qa/unit/opencl-test.cxx(2760) : error : Assertion
Test name: ScOpenCLTest::testFinancialXirrFormula
assertion failed
- Expression: rtl::math::approxEqual(fExpected, fFormula)

Failures !!!
Run: 224   Failure total: 1   Failures: 1   Errors: 0

Error: a unit test failed, please do one of:
make CppunitTest_sc_opencl_test CPPUNITTRACE=TRUE # which is a shortcut for the following line
make CppunitTest_sc_opencl_test CPPUNITTRACE="'C:/PROGRA~2/MICROS~1.0/VC//../Common7/IDE/devenv.exe' /debugexe" # for interactive debugging in Visual Studio
make CppunitTest_sc_opencl_test CPPUNITTRACE="drmemory -free_max_frames 20" # for memory checking (install Dr.Memory first, and put it to your PATH)

Oliver Brinzing Oliver Brinzing

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

Hi,

 > After disabled the failing Unit Tests, I
 > discovered that the new binaries enable OpenCL by default, where as in my
 > old binary I cannot even enable OpenCL.
 > Did something change in new Cygwin/LODE env that's causing OpenCL to be
 > enabled now?

could you please tell me how to disable OpenCL during build ?

maybe my build breaks have same root cause
https://www.mail-archive.com/libreoffice@.../msg181443.html

Regards
Oliver

Tor Lillqvist-2 Tor Lillqvist-2

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

could you please tell me how to disable OpenCL during build ?

maybe my build breaks have same root cause
https://www.mail-archive.com/libreoffice@...rg/msg181443.html

What makes you think there is anything OpenCL-related in there?

As there seems to be problem with a PDF signing test, the first question that comes to my mind is whether you have some add-on security software (or even hardware) installed, like some digital certificate USB dongle or card reader?

--tml

Oliver Brinzing Oliver Brinzing

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

Hi,

> What makes you think there is anything OpenCL-related in there?

it's not the first time OpenCL seems to break builds, for example:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2016-June/074434.html
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2015-August/069814.html

Oliver
Tor Lillqvist-2 Tor Lillqvist-2

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

it's not the first time OpenCL seems to break builds, for example:

So all build breaks must therefore be OpenCL related? OK then.

--tml

slacka slacka

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

I attached the old HDD to an external USB and reconfigured the old Cygwin.bat  to run from the new drive. With the old make 4.0 and all the old LODE tools, the weird " [0m [37;40m[ [0m [36;1;40mCUT [0m " on every line went away, but the build still failed on Test name: ScOpenCLTest::testFinancialXirrFormula

So maybe this is just a case of new drivers that need to be blacklisted? Or something I had done on my old install disabled OpenCL? Any ideas?

It looks like LODE was not to blame here, but it raises some interesting questions. Is there any way to get LODE to install fresh tools (ex make 4.0 -> 4.2)? Do we really want LODE to always use the newest version, with everyone’s LODE install slightly different based on when they ran it.
Niklas Johansson Niklas Johansson

On 2016-12-15 01:14, slacka wrote:
the build still failed on Test name: ScOpenCLTest::testFinancialXirrFormula

Is it the only OpenCL test that fails for you?

The specific test you refer to has been failing for me for a long time (months), though I'm sorry to say that I haven't  had the time to build LO for quite some time. It is the only OpenCL test that fails for me (at least it was the last time I built LibreOffice).

If you open the test file
core\sc\qa\unit\data\ods\opencl\financial\XIRR.ods
you'll notice that Excel and Calc sometimes return quite different results. This is one of the reasons I haven't put any more time into trying to figure out what to do about it. Another aspect is that when I open the file, in a build were I disabled the specific test, it returns the correct value. From what I remember I checked that OpenCL was being used and forced a recalculation. When I ran the test in the debugger the value that failed was somewhere in between the result that Excel returns and what Calc returns.

My setup was not done with LODE.

/Niklas

slacka slacka

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

Niklas Johansson wrote
Is it the only OpenCL test that fails for you?
Yes, Build finishes without error after I comment the testFinancialXirrFormula out. Afterwards when I open: core\sc\qa\unit\data\ods\opencl\financial\XIRR.ods The actual results seem to match the expected results. -Luke
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

Hey,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM, slacka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Niklas Johansson wrote
Is it the only OpenCL test that fails for you?
Yes, Build finishes without error after I comment the testFinancialXirrFormula out. Afterwards when I open: core\sc\qa\unit\data\ods\opencl\financial\XIRR.ods The actual results seem to match the expected results. -Luke

Note that the tests run with a special configuration. If you open the file later the file most likely does not use OpenCL as can be seen line 360 and following in sc/source/core/tool/formulagroup.cxx.

Regards,
Markus

slacka slacka

Re: OpenCL enabled by default after OS reinstall causing Unit Test Failure

If someone wants to dig deeper, I’d be glad to run special debug builds like I did for Ashod’s failing Unit tests.

Or, should we just blacklist my driver? What info do you need for that?

-Luke
Miklos Vajna-4 Miklos Vajna-4

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:57:43AM -0700, slacka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone wants to dig deeper, I’d be glad to run special debug builds like
> I did for Ashod’s failing Unit tests.
>
> Or, should we just blacklist my driver? What info do you need for that?

See officecfg/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcs, search
for OpenCLBlackList. You need to add driver info there to blacklist an
OpenCL driver, I think.

Regards,

Miklos