OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

marcpare4 marcpare4

OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

  There seems to be more and more open discussions on installing the
LibO software on the official Mandriva user-help discussion group
"[hidden email]". As this is quite an active group, there is a lot
of trouble-shooting going as well as user support for the (now) official
Oracle OpenOffice Suite, there are a lot of questions re: the fate of
Oracle's OpenOffice.

I fear that if they end up on the LibO mailist, these users may find the
threads too chaotic and wild for any of their request for support. Would
it make sense then to open up a mailist similar to the
"[hidden email]" to help out with the support aspect of the suite?
I think that collectively we could help out while they transition from
the OpenOffice to LibO suite. They are mostly every day users who are
not interested in helping out with the creation of the LibreOffice site.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we will gain more users if we
can help them without causing them too much concern. If we can create a
"[hidden email]" mailist, then it would sit comfortably and
familiar with them. Or even better if called
"[hidden email]" or something else that is specifically
there for obvious user technical help. I have been on the
[hidden email] forever and the people who make use of it are quite
a transient group. The majority of them are people just looking for
immediate technical help that they need on a document or settings.

Is there anything that we could do for them? I believe that we have
people here now who are/were regulars on that particular mailist. We
could help them out with their problems. Maybe there is something here
already for them?

The LibO user mailist would have to be well advertised and very visible
on the main LibreOffice site to be useful. Most of these users have
little experience on using the suite and just want a quick spot to ask
for help.

Marc

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

Marc Paré wrote:
>  There seems to be more and more open discussions on installing the LibO
> software on the official Mandriva user-help discussion group
> "[hidden email]". As this is quite an active group, there is a lot
> of trouble-shooting going as well as user support for the (now) official
> Oracle OpenOffice Suite, there are a lot of questions re: the fate of
> Oracle's OpenOffice.

People is working on mailing lists, there will be announcements very soon.

--
Italo Vignoli
Mobile: +39.348.5653829 - VoIP: +39.02.320621813

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  There seems to be more and more open discussions on installing the LibO
> software on the official Mandriva user-help discussion group "
> [hidden email]". As this is quite an active group, there is a lot o
> trouble-shooting going as well as user support for the (now) official Ora
cle
> OpenOffice Suite, there are a lot of questions re: the fate of Oracle's
> OpenOffice.
>
> I fear that if they end up on the LibO mailist, these users may find the
> threads too chaotic and wild for any of their request for support. Would
it
> make sense then to open up a mailist similar to the "[hidden email]
"
> to help out with the support aspect of the suite? I think that collective
ly
> we could help out while they transition from the OpenOffice to LibO suite
.
> They are mostly every day users who are not interested in helping out wit
> the creation of the LibreOffice site.

So far there is a forum for support  at http://libreofficeforum.org we have
locales for Spanish, English and German. Hope this will help, there are
locale infrastructure being worked out right now.

I think this mailing list is also a bit restricted (not many tools like a
majordomo one).

> We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we will gain more users if we ca
> help them without causing them too much concern. If we can create a "
> [hidden email]" mailist, then it would sit comfortably and familia
> with them. Or even better if called "[hidden email]" or
> something else that is specifically there for obvious user technical help
. I
> have been on the [hidden email] forever and the people who make use
> of it are quite a transient group. The majority of them are people just
> looking for immediate technical help that they need on a document or
> settings.
>
> Is there anything that we could do for them? I believe that we have peopl
> here now who are/were regulars on that particular mailist. We could help
> them out with their problems. Maybe there is something here already for
> them?
>
> The LibO user mailist would have to be well advertised and very visible o
> the main LibreOffice site to be useful. Most of these users have little
> experience on using the suite and just want a quick spot to ask for help.
>
> Marc

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Re: OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

> So far there is a forum for support  at http://libreofficeforum.org we
have
> locales for Spanish, English and German. Hope this will help, there are
> locale infrastructure being worked out right now.

I don't think an external page with Google ads in every page is the
best place to get support. I don't think this is the kind of image the
The Document Foundation should give.

Just my 5 cents.

--
Jesús Corrius
http://www.corrius.org

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

Hi,

Le Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:42:58 +0200,
Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > So far there is a forum for support  at http://libreofficeforum.org
> > we
> have
> > locales for Spanish, English and German. Hope this will help, there
> > are locale infrastructure being worked out right now.
>
> I don't think an external page with Google ads in every page is the
> best place to get support. I don't think this is the kind of image the
> The Document Foundation should give.
>
> Just my 5 cents.

well, this forum is not the official one anyway. We will open one or
cooperate with everyone interested, but no, no ads.

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Membre du Comité exécutif

drewjensen drewjensen

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 05:35 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  There seems to be more and more open discussions on installing the LibO
> > software on the official Mandriva user-help discussion group "
> > [hidden email]". As this is quite an active group, there is a lot o
> > trouble-shooting going as well as user support for the (now) official Ora
> cle
> > OpenOffice Suite, there are a lot of questions re: the fate of Oracle's
> > OpenOffice.
> >
> > I fear that if they end up on the LibO mailist, these users may find the
> > threads too chaotic and wild for any of their request for support. Would
> it
> > make sense then to open up a mailist similar to the "[hidden email]
> "
> > to help out with the support aspect of the suite? I think that collective
> ly
> > we could help out while they transition from the OpenOffice to LibO suite
> .
> > They are mostly every day users who are not interested in helping out wit
> > the creation of the LibreOffice site.
> >

> So far there is a forum for support  at http://libreofficeforum.org we have
> locales for Spanish, English and German. Hope this will help, there are
> locale infrastructure being worked out right now.
>
> I think this mailing list is also a bit restricted (not many tools like a
> majordomo one).

For user support please refer people to user.services.openoffice.org or
oooforum.org.

At both forums folks have been fielding LibO users requests all week and
will continue to do so.

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: OpenOffice and LibO user technical help requests

Hi Marc,

thanks for pointing that out! To be honest, we weren't aware of so many
users ... so I'll ask our current "initial admin" to set up such a list
among the other ones that are currently planned.

See you!

Christoph

marcpare4 marcpare4

  Le 2010-10-04 12:01, Christoph Noack a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
>
> thanks for pointing that out! To be honest, we weren't aware of so many
> users ... so I'll ask our current "initial admin" to set up such a list
> among the other ones that are currently planned.
>
> See you!
>
> Christoph

Thanks.  Once the mailist is up and running it may be a good idea to ask
if we could all share the responsibility to help out with the
trouble-shooting on the list. It is pretty exciting to participate in
these discussions but we shouldn't forget those who need the immediate
technical help. It would just be a case of dropping in the mailist and
having a quick look around to see if we could help someone out. Not a
big burden on all of us.

Cheers

Marc

RGB.ES RGB.ES

2010/10/4 Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]>:
> well, this forum is not the official one anyway. We will open one or
> cooperate with everyone interested, but no, no ads.

Good to know ;)
Just my two cents: I think TDF website need a clear statement about
this issue (maybe a FAQ? But I prefer something more visible).
Something like "we understand how important forums are, so... stay
tuned"