Opening Remote Files

snowshed snowshed

Opening Remote Files

OX X 10.11.6 El Capitan

LO 5.3.6.1

I'm working with the first of multiple files that will be located on a
Windows 8.1 computer.  That computer and my Mac are both hardwired to a
network.

LO seems to have an issue opening the document at the beginning of a
work session.

Start Windows 8.1.

Start OS X.

Wait until the Mac has recognized and connected to 8.1.

Start LO to the Start Center.  The file I want is listed, but when I
click on it, I get the message the file does not exist.  Even though I
know it does exist.

If I click on Open File, I can then navigate to the W8.1 computer, and
drill down to the folder where the file is and load it.

Even better, I have the folder that contains the file in the Finder's
Sidebar.  Click on the folder, it opens and I can load the file I want.

Has anyone else seen this?

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Opening Remote Files

       maybe I can help here - after finally getting a Mac, I found that I
needed to keep a MsFt machine in order to have these computers
'communicate. ?';
          I found that by using DropBox or Google's Drive I could swap
files but if I wanted to access something saved on an external HD, then
that HD had to first be made for the Mac [either (1) copy all files to a
Mac-compatible HD or (2) remove the files, make the HD Mac-compatible then
replace the files; then your files can be seen by these Mac programs]

       I'm assuming Win 8 will function as Win 7 ... ... ...
          [well, I'm a researcher, historian - was able to maintain the
middle-ground between the computer nerd & the newbie, but that
middle-ground is harder & harder to maintain now]

       Hoping this helps,
          maybe someone with more computer knowledge will be able to help
you further,

snowshed snowshed

Re: Opening Remote Files

On 9/4/17 8:29 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

> OX X 10.11.6 El Capitan
>
> LO 5.3.6.1
>
> I'm working with the first of multiple files that will be located on a
> Windows 8.1 computer.  That computer and my Mac are both hardwired to a
> network.
>
> LO seems to have an issue opening the document at the beginning of a
> work session.
>
> Start Windows 8.1.
>
> Start OS X.
>
> Wait until the Mac has recognized and connected to 8.1.
>
> Start LO to the Start Center.  The file I want is listed, but when I
> click on it, I get the message the file does not exist.  Even though I
> know it does exist.
>
> If I click on Open File, I can then navigate to the W8.1 computer, and
> drill down to the folder where the file is and load it.
>
> Even better, I have the folder that contains the file in the Finder's
> Sidebar.  Click on the folder, it opens and I can load the file I want.
>

> Has anyone else seen this?

Rather disappointing there was no response.  :-(

But it seems the problem is worse than I described.

The hard drive in this iMac is partitioned into two partitions.  LO's
Startcenter can't open a file that's on the 2nd partition, either.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6