PDF import extension

Pedro Pedro

PDF import extension

Hi all

Is the PDF Import extension owned by Oracle?

I am looking for the extension as a separate download but can't find it anywhere. It is not in the LO Extension repository either.

I have a copy of the old Oracle PDF Import 1.0.4 extension but that doesn't work with the current LOdev (in fact the bundled 1.0.5 version is broken too)

Is development stopped on this extension? I find it extremely useful for creating hybrid ODF/PDF files!

Pedro
Alexandre Silveira-3 Alexandre Silveira-3

Pedro Pedro

Re: PDF import extension

Alexandre Silveira-3 wrote
I agree with you. do you want to start a new thread on this topic ?
Start where? A new thread? I don't want to waste people's time... If this was discussed before, what was the conclusion? I searched Nabble before posting and couldn't find an answer...
Pedro
Alexandre Silveira-3 Alexandre Silveira-3

Re: PDF import extension

Because a specific is ignoring major users requests, wich is not a minority group. This is not a waste of time. And by the way LibreOffice is not a personal "toy" of a little group.

Its seems some people are thinking that... unfortunely...

---- On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:02:46 -0300 Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Alexandre Silveira-3 wrote

> I agree with you. do you want to start a new thread on this topic ?

Start where? A new thread? I don't want to waste people's time... If this
was discussed before, what was the conclusion? I searched Nabble before
posting and couldn't find an answer...
--
Pedro

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: PDF import extension

On 11/12/2011 20:13, Alexandre Silveira wrote:

> Because a specific is ignoring major users requests, which is not a
> minority group.

I do not think that the project is ignoring end user requests. PDF
Import has been bundled with LibreOffice since the first release, and
this shows how much TDF considers it important. On the other hand, TDF
resources are not infinite, and sometimes it is really difficult to keep
the pace with the market.

I do not remember any discussion about dropping PDF Import, so I assume
that the development will continue and the extension will be bundled
with LibreOffice 3.5 (as with the previous versions).

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Pedro Pedro

Re: PDF import extension

Hi Italo, all

> I do not remember any discussion about dropping PDF Import, so I assume
> that the development will continue and the extension will be bundled
> with LibreOffice 3.5 (as with the previous versions).

So if development continues, I suppose it means that Oracle doesn't
own it, right?

I was confused because 5 of the extensions installed with LO
(including PDF Import) still say Oracle.

TBH I don't really like "locked" extensions. I prefer to do a Custom
install, remove all Extensions and then add manually only the ones I
choose (but unlocked)

So I guess there is a chance that in the future there is a separate
PDF Import extension available in the Extension repository?

In any case it needs to be fixed to work with 3.5.0 so whoever fixes
it could package it separately ;)

Pedro
Alexandre Silveira-3 Alexandre Silveira-3

Re: PDF import extension

Many resources located in extensions,have been discontinued in recent migrations. You have to call all old developers of OpenOffice to make all key updates for the new LibreOffice licenses.

This is not happening and is a key point. There is no legal problems if that developers works for Apache OO and LibreOffice.

This is a maket need. The public sector is using LibreOffice and need this "governance" from TDF.

If needed, open a thread or board to track and follow up these "key" and "very specific needs" from the TDF projects and LibreOffice.

Dont drop the ball now.... It's a very serious subject that cannort be puted aside because of periferical visions which are not representative by the vast majority of the users base, corporate included.

---- On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:10:08 -0300 Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]> wrote ----

On 11/12/2011 23:08, Pedro wrote:

> So if development continues, I suppose it means that Oracle doesn't
> own it, right?
> I was confused because 5 of the extensions installed with LO
> (including PDF Import) still say Oracle.

We use the last GPL licensed version, which is - and will always be -
copyright by Oracle. The copyright, though, is not a problem as long as
the code is licensed under GPL.

I do not think, but I might be wrong, that AOOo will update this
extension, because it relies heavily on GPL components which should be
substituted. Of course, they might decide to write a new PDF rendering
engine under Apache License, which we could easily use.

> TBH I don't really like "locked" extensions. I prefer to do a Custom
> install, remove all Extensions and then add manually only the ones I
> choose (but unlocked)

You can easily do this on Windows by choosing the custom installation.

> So I guess there is a chance that in the future there is a separate
> PDF Import extension available in the Extension repository?

I hope so, as well.

On 11/12/2011 23:11, Alexandre Silveira wrote:

> Many resources located in extensions have been discontinued in recent
> migrations. You have to call all old developers of OpenOffice to make
> all key updates for the new LibreOffice licenses.

Extensions developers have been invited to load their extensions on our
repository. Some have accepted and some have refused (or have simply
ignored the invitation), and we cannot force anyone to act.

> This is a market need. The public sector is using LibreOffice and need
> this "governance" from TDF.

We are talking regularly with public companies (and with private
companies as well). Although I am not updated on everything, I do not
think that there are really useful extensions which have been ignored by
the project.

Of course, there are license issues and contribution issues, which we
cannot solve without the collaboration of each individual.

In addition to being ourselves decent professionals in our fields of
competence, we have an advisory board where there are companies such as
SUSE, RedHat and Google. In addition, public bodies such as Region Ile
de France (France) and SERPRO (Brazil) are seriously thinking about
entering our advisory board.

We perfectly know that LibreOffice is at the center of an ecosystem, and
we will be working at developing the business based on the office suite
(because only with a sound business ecosystem we can think of developing
good free software).