PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

(Initially sent using the wrong sender address... ooops.)

Hello,

(I'm posting this message here, not sure this is the most appropriate
place; let me know)

just a few words to inform you that PaletteMaker v1.0, which is a
LibreOffice palettes creation and update tool has just been released, in
FR and EN versions.

PaletteMaker (PM in short) is a LibreOffice Calc document with macros
that helps users managing LibreOffice (LibO) color palettes.

Since LibO version 5.3, the LibO project have dropped the ability to
easily create personal color palettes right from the UI.
PaletteMaker aims at filling the gap.

With PM you can:
-- create personal color palettes (.soc files), optionally saving a
palette to the LibO user's profile.
-- edit existing palettes.
-- take a snapshot of your palettes and document them, which is useful
to document your designs.

For ease of use, PM can call a color picker, calculates the RGB, CMY and
CMYK values for a given color.
The colors may be reordered for a better organization. You also may add
comments to the palette itself or to any of the colors it contains
(the maximum preset color number is 1150 per palette but with little
effort you may change that to any other number).

PM has been designed to ease its translation to other languages.

PaletteMaker can be donwloaded from my friend Ysabeau's web site, here:
-- EN version
https://numericoach.net/PaletteMaker-a-macro-that-makes
-- FR version
http://www.numericoach.net/PaletteMaker-une-macro-qui-genere-des-palettes

Of course, any remark, criticism or suggestion is welcome.

Best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote

> PaletteMaker can be donwloaded from my friend Ysabeau's web site, here:
> -- EN version
> https://numericoach.net/PaletteMaker-a-macro-that-makes
> -- FR version
> http://www.numericoach.net/PaletteMaker-une-macro-qui-genere-des-palettes
>

> Of course, any remark, criticism or suggestion is welcome.

Jean-Francois,

Very nice!  When ready would hope you will post the project Templates site:

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/templates

Two comments on its current state if I may:

1.) Rather than (or in addition to) the CMY value column, would suggest
provide an HSB (Hue-Saturation-Brightness) to match the rgb2hsv values
(https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/basegfx/source/color/bcolortools.cxx?r=7ceee0f1#103)
used in the 'Pick a color' dialog now.

2.) possibly add a chart to show the working palette as it would be laid out
in our 12 column by X rows when used in the colorpicker palette GUI.

Stuart

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

Hello Stuart,

Le 17/07/2019 à 16:41, V Stuart Foote a écrit :

> Very nice!  When ready would hope you will post the project Templates site:
>
> https://extensions.libreoffice.org/templates

ok, note taken. Ysabeau had suggested posting there but I didn't
consider this to be a real "template". I'll do, finally.

> Two comments on its current state if I may:
>
> 1.) Rather than (or in addition to) the CMY value column, would suggest
> provide an HSB (Hue-Saturation-Brightness) to match the rgb2hsv values
> (https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/basegfx/source/color/bcolortools.cxx?r=7ceee0f1#103)
> used in the 'Pick a color' dialog now.

in fact, this is under development already ;)

> 2.) possibly add a chart to show the working palette as it would be laid out
> in our 12 column by X rows when used in the colorpicker palette GUI.

good idea. I'll check what I can do.

Thanks for your kind words and ideas.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

Thanks again Start for your support.

#2 is on its way (and already implemented in the v.1.5 I've got here).

For your suggestion #1, I can't find any API entry that would help
creating the RGB2HSV values. I guess I've overlooked something...
Can you give any pointer here?

Thanks and all the best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

@Jean-Francois.

Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote
> #2 is on its way (and already implemented in the v.1.5 I've got here).
>
> For your suggestion #1, I can't find any API entry that would help
> creating the RGB2HSV values. I guess I've overlooked something...
> Can you give any pointer here?

Hmm, you may have made a wrong turn here, likely my fault for not responding
sooner--sorry!

I just  opened the Macro in palettemaker_v1_1_0_0_en-2.ods and noticed
you're attempting a conversion of RGB2HSL ('L' luminance), we don't use
those values in the LibreOffice "Color Picker".

 We do use HSL values, but  just in a few places when we are adjusting
colors for the UI, or in image editing.

For palette work the values are HSV -- 'V' value  (also known as HSB -- 'B'
brightness )  a much simpler algorithm to implement which LibO does in
bcolortools [1], as used by the "Color Picker" to during color space
conversions in the GUI [2].

The other thing I noticed--after enabling macros, if I import a large color
palette for editing the sheet holding the palette gives the count of colors
in the palette then truncates the sheet at 1100 colors.  Some folks like
really large palettes--is there a hard limit preventing the sheet from going
larger?

=-ref-=
[1]
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/basegfx/source/color/bcolortools.cxx?r=7ceee0f1#103
[2]
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/cui/source/dialogs/colorpicker.cxx?r=51fa45c8#81

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: PaletteMaker v.1.0 is out

Hi!

Le 12/09/2019 à 17:38, V Stuart Foote a écrit :

> Hmm, you may have made a wrong turn here, likely my fault for not responding
> sooner--sorry!

no problem. I was busy elsewhere myself :)

> I just  opened the Macro in palettemaker_v1_1_0_0_en-2.ods and noticed
> you're attempting a conversion of RGB2HSL ('L' luminance), we don't use
> those values in the LibreOffice "Color Picker".
>
>   We do use HSL values, but  just in a few places when we are adjusting
> colors for the UI, or in image editing.
>
> For palette work the values are HSV -- 'V' value  (also known as HSB -- 'B'
> brightness )  a much simpler algorithm to implement which LibO does in
> bcolortools [1], as used by the "Color Picker" to during color space
> conversions in the GUI [2].

Mmmm. Thanks for the insight. I'll have another look at this HSV thing.

> The other thing I noticed--after enabling macros, if I import a large color
> palette for editing the sheet holding the palette gives the count of colors
> in the palette then truncates the sheet at 1100 colors.  Some folks like
> really large palettes--is there a hard limit preventing the sheet from going
> larger?

No, this is not a hard limit, just a subjective one. It is mentioned in
the Manual sheet, last paragraph of the What is PaletteMaker section.

I guessed this value of 1100 would fit most users need. Seems it wouldn't :(

Now, changing it is just the matter of going to the code,
Standard.Spreadsheet module, line 64. Change the ROW_COUNT_MAX constant
value to whatever you see fit.
Then adjust the four named ranges accordingly: colors, definitions,
names and samples.
Finally, expand accordingly the colored range at sheet Palette.

Best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux