Paragraph styles in lists

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Paragraph styles in lists

Hi.
I have had a look in the help but can't see if I can achieve my desired
effect.
Is it possible to assign a paragraph style based on the level in a list.
I.e. Level 1 text is regular, level 2 text is italic.
Thanks, steve

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Re: Paragraph styles in lists

Steve Edmonds wrote:

 > Hi.
 > I have had a look in the help but can't see if I can achieve my desired
 > effect.
 > Is it possible to assign a paragraph style based on the level in a list.
 > I.e. Level 1 text is regular, level 2 text is italic.
 > Thanks, steve

You can do this with a Conditional Paragraph Style. Look up 'single-style outlining' in the LibreOffice Writers Guide. You would then use the paragraph styles List 1, List 2, etc. or Numbering 1, Numbering 2 etc. for numbered lists. You can adapt these or make your own similar paragraph styles. Create a new paragraph style for example Nested List, make it a conditional style, and couple the Numbering levels to Numbering 1, Numbering 2, or List 1, List 2, etc.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Paragraph styles in lists

   Now I understand what you want. A paragraph style applies the same formatting to the whole paragraph. A character style can be used within the paragraph, but this must be manually applied to the selected characters.
   What you want to do is not possible unless perhaps a macro is used.
   What you can do is to select a special character as the "number" at the beginning of the element when the level is 2.

Dan

On 2015-08-13 01:53, elderdanlewis wrote:
   One thing I forgot to mention: List 2 is found in two different style lists, paragraph and lists (list names here begin with either list or number). Paragraph styles is the one to which I referred. Click the left icon at the top of the styles and formating window to get this list.

Dan

Thanks, what version of LibreOffice do you have. I have 4.3.7.2 and that doesn't have a font tab so it must be a newer feature.
Steve

On 2015-08-12 02:46, elderdanlewis wrote:
Yes, you can. Open the Styles and formatting window (second             icon down on the left border of the LibreOffice window). Right click the List 2 style and select Modify. Select the Font tab and then select the italic style. Click OK.

Dan

Bruce Byfield Bruce Byfield

Re: Paragraph styles in lists

I'm coming late into this discussion, but if I understand what you want to do,
you need to create a List style with two or more levels.

Press F11 to open the Styles and Formatting window in the sidebar, then select
the List Styles button and create or modify a list style with several levels
using the Options tab. For each level, you will want a different numbering
system.

When you go to apply the style, press the Tab key to use the level below your
present one at the cursor position, or Shift+Tab to use the level above your
current one.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7189 (on Pacific time)
https://brucebyfield.wordpress.com

On 2015-08-13 10:27, Bruce Byfield wrote:

> [...]
Hi. Partly correct. I want to create lists with more than one level (2-3
generally) and have the paragraph style of the text change to a
predefined style as I demote or promote the level of a paragraph. I.e. a
different paragraph style is associated with each level.
steve

Steve Edmonds wrote:

 > On 2015-08-13 10:27, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Hi Steve,

Did you read my answer to your question? I think that solves it.

On 2015-08-13 18:07, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Steve Edmonds wrote:
>
>   >
>   >
>   > On 2015-08-13 10:27, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Sorry, missed that. Works great thanks.
Cheers, steve