Parametrising sheets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Parametrising sheets

Hello folks,

I have an elaborate sheet that essentially takes 3 different values
as input, and outputs two data series, which I can use to produce a
bar chart like so:

```
|
|         _
|        | |       _
|    _   | |     _| |
|  _| |  | |    | | |
| | | |  | |_   | | |
| | | |  | | |  | | |
---------------------
```

Obviously, there'll be a single formula that produces each data
point, but it'll be very complex, as the sheet currently derives the
data in multiple steps.

What I need to do now is to graph multiple of those graphs in one.
That is, I want a 3D bar graph with the first series equivalent to
what the sheet would produce with "input" parameters (X1, Y, Z), the
second series corresponding to "input" parameters (X2, Y, Z), and so
on.

Is this possible? Without duplicating the sheets, of course?
Essentially turn a sheet into a function/formula that I can "call"?

Thanks for any hints,

--
@martinkrafft | <a href="https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net">https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net
 
"a cigarette is the perfect type of pleasure.
 it is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied."
                                                      -- oscar wilde
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Parametrising sheets

Hi Martin.
It may be possible to obtain an acceptable chart using the Bar-3D -Deep
type and suitably preparing your data.
I don't know about turning a sheet into a formula, but you could create
a macro to generate your output series.
Steve

On 18/02/2020 13:13, martin f krafft wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have an elaborate sheet that essentially takes 3 different values
> as input, and outputs two data series, which I can use to produce a
> bar chart like so:
>
> ```
> |
> |         _
> |        | |       _
> |    _   | |     _| |
> |  _| |  | |    | | |
> | | | |  | |_   | | |
> | | | |  | | |  | | |
> ---------------------
> ```
>
> Obviously, there'll be a single formula that produces each data
> point, but it'll be very complex, as the sheet currently derives the
> data in multiple steps.
>
> What I need to do now is to graph multiple of those graphs in one.
> That is, I want a 3D bar graph with the first series equivalent to
> what the sheet would produce with "input" parameters (X1, Y, Z), the
> second series corresponding to "input" parameters (X2, Y, Z), and so
> on.
>
> Is this possible? Without duplicating the sheets, of course?
> Essentially turn a sheet into a function/formula that I can "call"?
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Parametrising sheets

Regarding the following, written by "Steve Edmonds" on 2020-02-18 at 14:17 Uhr +1300:
>I don't know about turning a sheet into a formula, but you could
>create a macro to generate your output series.

That sounds ugly, but yes, that could work. But I was really trying
to avoid that, and still hope I can!

Thanks for your response!

--
@martinkrafft | <a href="https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net">https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net
 
"i love deadlines. i like the whooshing
  sound they make as they fly by."
                                                     -- douglas adams
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Parametrising sheets

Hi Martin.
Do Y and Z stay the same and just x varies (as input).
How many input values of x would you want process and display in one chart.

Steve

On 18/02/2020 14:55, martin f krafft wrote:

> Regarding the following, written by "Steve Edmonds" on 2020-02-18 at
> 14:17 Uhr +1300:
>> I don't know about turning a sheet into a formula, but you could
>> create a macro to generate your output series.
>
> That sounds ugly, but yes, that could work. But I was really trying to
> avoid that, and still hope I can!
>
> Thanks for your response!
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
martin f krafft martin f krafft
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Parametrising sheets

Regarding the following, written by "Steve Edmonds" on 2020-02-18 at 15:06 Uhr +1300:
>Do Y and Z stay the same and just x varies (as input).

For this one graph, yes. I'd probably also want to make other graphs
with Y and Z varying.

>How many input values of x would you want process and display in
>one chart.

Between 5 and 15. But more would be better, to be honest, and hence
the desire to parametrise, rather than to hack this up with macros,
or using copy-paste.

--
@martinkrafft | <a href="https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net">https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net
 
"the pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
                                                       -- oscar wilde
 
spamtraps: [hidden email]

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Parametrising sheets

I am wondering if LO will be the solution that works best for you.
What is the format of the output series (columns, length, positional or
x/y/z).
If you create output from 15 input variations, I assume that is 30
series. Can you simulate these and get Calc to chart them as you wish.
This will at least determine if LO is viable for your use.
steve

On 18/02/2020 15:47, martin f krafft wrote:

>
> Regarding the following, written by "Steve Edmonds" on 2020-02-18 at
> 15:06 Uhr +1300:
>
>     Do Y and Z stay the same and just x varies (as input).
>
> For this one graph, yes. I'd probably also want to make other graphs
> with Y and Z varying.
>
>     How many input values of x would you want process and display in
>     one chart.
>
> Between 5 and 15. But more would be better, to be honest, and hence
> the desire to parametrise, rather than to hack this up with macros, or
> using copy-paste.
>
> -- @martinkrafft | <a href="https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net">https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net
> "the pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." -- oscar
> wilde spamtraps: [hidden email]


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy