PeerTube as a backup media

Franklin Weng-2 Franklin Weng-2

PeerTube as a backup media

Hi,

Since Blender was blocked on YouTube due to advertisement issue:

https://www.blender.org/media-exposure/youtube-blocks-blender-videos-worldwide/

Do we consider to build a PeerTube platform as a backup alternative media in case any strange thing happening to our YouTube channel? I know it takes much resources and bandwidth and I don't mean to leave YouTube right away; just in case.

Franklin

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: PeerTube as a backup media

On 06/24/2018 07:25 PM, Franklin Weng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since Blender was blocked on YouTube due to advertisement issue:
>
> https://www.blender.org/media-exposure/youtube-blocks-blender-videos-worldwide/
>
> Do we consider to build a PeerTube platform as a backup alternative media in case any strange thing happening to our YouTube channel? I know it takes much resources and bandwidth and I don't mean to leave YouTube right away; just in case.
>

> Franklin

I have seen this type of thing with warranty support. I bought an item
from a major online retailer, and a month later I needed support. The
retailer told me to contact the maker.  Well, sending emails listed in
the contact info and then only getting a voice message from their phone
system, it got worse for me as my warranty time near ending.  THEN, I
contacted the retailer and they tried.  They still were selling the
maker's products, but not the one I was buying. Well the retailer never
got any farther than I was, even with their support systems. I could not
get a warranty repair while under warranty since I could not get them to
reply to my contacting them.  It ended with the retailer refunding me
everything except the extra warranty service I usually buy for my
purchases.  They would only apply it to a new purchase.  Sorry. I still
buy things from the retailer, but I will not buy from the maker's
company and the retailer is not selling their products as well.

I know the Catch 22 idea is more of a joke, but it can be real to us and
gives us grief, bad grief to many.

That is what it seems to me what happened to YouTube's system. Someone
messed up and then "no one" could "figure out" how it happened or what
to do about it. I think that is what was going on for so long.  Then the
requirement for no-ad service requiring ads to be enabled is just that
type of stupid thing that someone programmed into the system and cannot
figure out where the "switch" issue is located.  Of course, if you are
of a different mind, then you may think it was done on purpose. Are they
going to remove the "no ad" service or are they making a change in it
and caused this problem?  Either way, the users of their service are the
losers.

SO, yes, look into an in-house place to have the LO related videos to be
stored and accessed. That way if YouTube's service crashes, then you
have a system in place.

For those items I cannot rebuild, like my collection of all my digital
media I shot myself, or scanned in. I now have a storage desktop, which
was my default one several years ago. I have three 2-TB internal drives,
and three of the same in USB backup drives.  My digital media is
actually stored on two different drives - each containing a complete
copy of my photo and camcorder file folders.  Then these two copies are
then backed up on 2 backup drives.  That way, there are 4 different
copies and it should be safe unless there is a fire. I still need to buy
a new drive that can be stored at a family member's place.  What I
really should do is get a 6+ TB USB drive, and use it as a backup drive,
and then take the original ones to rotate between in-house and off-site
storage.

SO, I really have the idea you could lose your work in a split second.
Mine did between shut down after backing up the new content of a storage
drive, and the restart of the system to load more data to store. I lost
everything, except for the backed up copies. I had one backup drive die
while I was running the backup script, as well.  SO, I know how things
can happen at the worst time. I also lost a "transfer drive" I used to
copy stuff between the laptops/desktops and the storage system.  It had
almost 1.5 TB of data die with the drive. Now, I do my best to buy
replacements for my USB and internal drives, so each year I replace a
number of them with new ones.

Maybe, you can plan on getting the resources to host all of the videos,
twice.

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

On 25.06.2018 02:25, Franklin Weng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since Blender was blocked on YouTube due to advertisement issue:
>
> https://www.blender.org/media-exposure/youtube-blocks-blender-videos-worldwide/
>
> Do we consider to build a PeerTube platform as a backup alternative media in case any strange thing happening to our YouTube channel? I know it takes much resources and bandwidth and I don't mean to leave YouTube right away; just in case.

I think the webtorrent swarm exposing IPs should be solved first:
https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/685
P2P makes video hosting much more feasible, but unfortunately bittorrent
is not built for privacy.

If you know talented JS devs, do send them in the direction of
webtorrent so we will arrive in the future faster :)

Ilmari

Eike Rathke-3 Eike Rathke-3

Re: PeerTube as a backup media

Hi Franklin,

On Monday, 2018-06-25 07:25:15 +0800, Franklin Weng wrote:

> Do we consider to build a PeerTube platform as a backup alternative media

>From what I heard PeerTube is very resource hungry and if more than
a circle of friends accesses material you don't want to host it on your
own servers..

  Eike

--
GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Eike Rathke, Member of the Board of Directors

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Eike Rathke wrote on 2018-06-25 at 11:46:
>>From what I heard PeerTube is very resource hungry and if more than
> a circle of friends accesses material you don't want to host it on your
> own servers..

no hands-on experience here - for videos, I'm quite happy we don't have
to provide all the server space and and bandwith ourselves as I can
imagine it eats up quote some resources, but then, not everyone is happy
with using YouTube and other services.

I'd leave the field open if anyone is interested in trying this out, but
would not spend infra time on it for the moment maybe.

Florian