Physics Engine integration for Libre Office impress

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Techfreakworm Techfreakworm
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Physics Engine integration for Libre Office impress

Hello, 
Prior I've been researching about libGDX to integrate with Libre Office. But since lDE's supported by Libre  Office aren't supported by libGDX. I'm thinking of BOX2D but since it is only about 2D simulation and GSOC 2016 Idea for this project has suggested Bullet Physics too. So adding 3D animations a good idea in Impress? Since, Libre Office is designed to maximize it's comatibilty and performance over a wide variety of hardware. I'm concerned about it because 3D rendering would require more GPU performance than 2D.

Regards,
Mayank Gupta

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Wols Lists Wols Lists
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Physics Engine integration for Libre Office impress

On 04/03/16 09:12, Mayank Gupta wrote:
> I'm concerned about it because 3D rendering would require more GPU
> performance than 2D.

Is this true?

From what I keep picking up nowadays, pretty much the only place you'll
find 2D hardware is in obsolete machines. The kickback everybody trying
to optimise 2D gets is "it'll be converted to 3D by the hardware before
it renders it, so why bother?".

I don't know enough detail either way, but you need to check whether
it's worth the candle - it's probably not.

Cheers,
Wol
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Armin Le Grand-2 Armin Le Grand-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Physics Engine integration for Libre Office impress

Hi,

Am 04.03.2016 um 13:51 schrieb Wols Lists:

> On 04/03/16 09:12, Mayank Gupta wrote:
>> I'm concerned about it because 3D rendering would require more GPU
>> performance than 2D.
> Is this true?
>
>  From what I keep picking up nowadays, pretty much the only place you'll
> find 2D hardware is in obsolete machines. The kickback everybody trying
> to optimise 2D gets is "it'll be converted to 3D by the hardware before
> it renders it, so why bother?".
>
> I don't know enough detail either way, but you need to check whether
> it's worth the candle - it's probably not.
I disagree here. 2D rendering still does a much better job on AAing the
edges of polygons and lines, including blending.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
> _______________________________________________
> LibreOffice mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Sincerely,
Armin

 
--
ALG (PGP Key: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Physics Engine integration for Libre Office impress

In reply to this post by Techfreakworm
Mayank Gupta wrote:
> I'm thinking of BOX2D but since it is only about 2D simulation and
> GSOC 2016 Idea for this project has suggested Bullet Physics too.
>
Nah, 2D is fine for the while.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice

signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment