Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

Next » 12
NoOp NoOp

Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

Florian, you need to update the new StartCom Certs to include
libreoffice.org.

====
www.libreoffice.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
  *.documentfoundation.org , documentfoundation.org

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)
====

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

Which site did you open? Seems to work here?

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

:: LibreOffice needs your support for setting up its Foundation!
:: Join our fundraising at http://challenge.documentfoundation.org

NoOp NoOp

On 02/25/2011 12:30 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Which site did you open? Seems to work here?
>
> NoOp wrote on 2011-02-25 21.25:
>> Florian, you need to update the new StartCom Certs to include
>> libreoffice.org.

http://www.libreoffice.org/
Click on Download
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
Now click on Downloading Instructions
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/instructions/
Now scroll down to:
"When finished downloading, please read the installation instructions."

Odd. I can't get it to repeat on another tab. I still have the tab
opened with the problem & will post some screenshots in a few moments.

NoOp NoOp

On 02/25/2011 12:42 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/25/2011 12:30 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>> Which site did you open? Seems to work here?
>>
>> NoOp wrote on 2011-02-25 21.25:
>>> Florian, you need to update the new StartCom Certs to include
>>> libreoffice.org.
>>

> http://www.libreoffice.org/
> Click on Download
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
> Now click on Downloading Instructions
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/instructions/
> Now scroll down to:
> "When finished downloading, please read the installation instructions."
>
> Odd. I can't get it to repeat on another tab. I still have the tab
> opened with the problem & will post some screenshots in a few moments.

http://img638.imageshack.us/f/screenshot6z.png/

On the tab with that page open and this url:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
if I right click on 'Installation' I get this url:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
The https is the one that is causing the cert alert. In fact, looking at
all links show https vs http.

As to why I'm getting https links from the original www.libreoffice.org
page is a mystery to me. But I'll keep that tab opened & see if I can
figure out why.

NoOp NoOp

On 02/25/2011 01:12 PM, NoOp wrote:

> http://img638.imageshack.us/f/screenshot6z.png/
>
> On the tab with that page open and this url:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
> if I right click on 'Installation' I get this url:
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
> The https is the one that is causing the cert alert. In fact, looking at
> all links show https vs http.

Sorry, forgot the link to the shot showing the cert alert:
http://img841.imageshack.us/f/screenshot5di.png/

NoOp NoOp

On 02/25/2011 01:14 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/25/2011 01:12 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> http://img638.imageshack.us/f/screenshot6z.png/
>>
>> On the tab with that page open and this url:
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
>> if I right click on 'Installation' I get this url:
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/
>> The https is the one that is causing the cert alert. In fact, looking at
>> all links show https vs http.
>
> Sorry, forgot the link to the shot showing the cert alert:
> http://img841.imageshack.us/f/screenshot5di.png/

Added note: you can reproduce if you use
https://www.libreoffice.org/

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

Hi,

NoOp wrote on 2011-02-25 22.42:
> Added note: you can reproduce if you use
> https://www.libreoffice.org/

hm, I still cannot reproduce you. So, you say if you open

https://www.libreoffice.org

you get a certification error? Anyone else can confirm? I just tried it
with Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari, to no avail.

Florian

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

On 2/26/2011 1:59 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> NoOp wrote on 2011-02-25 22.42:
>> Added note: you can reproduce if you use
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/
>
> hm, I still cannot reproduce you. So, you say if you open
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org
>
> you get a certification error? Anyone else can confirm? I just tried
> it with Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari, to no avail.
>
> Florian

This doesnt occur for me will test again on mac, when im on it later.

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

I get a certification error with konqueror, but not with firefox for
https://www.libreoffice.org/. Same for https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

RGB ES wrote on 2011-02-26 14.58:
> I get a certification error with konqueror, but not with firefox for
> https://www.libreoffice.org/. Same forhttps://bugs.freedesktop.org/

might be because Konqueror does not know about the StartSSL Root CA
which we use - it should work at least in Firefox, IE, Chrome, SeaMonkey
and Safari. :-)

Florian

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/2/27 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> RGB ES wrote on 2011-02-26 14.58:
>
>  I get a certification error with konqueror, but not with firefox for
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/. Same forhttps://bugs.freedesktop.org/
>>

> might be because Konqueror does not know about the StartSSL Root CA which
> we use - it should work at least in Firefox, IE, Chrome, SeaMonkey and
> Safari. :-)
>

> Florian

Interesting ! I checked this out in FF, Chromium, and Opera and at first
glance everything looked fine. However, that latest Opera contains a feature
that allows one to check security information with respect to a website, and
under the «Security» tab, I see the following (my translation from the
Swedish) :
*
This web site is not secure.*

The connexion to www.libreoffice.org is not secure and should not be used to
transmit sensitive information. The server attempted to activate security
functions but failed.

The above notice is followed by a so-called «certificate summary», as
follows :

Owner : *.libreoffice.org, Florian Effenberger
Issuer : StartCom Class2 Primary Intermediate Server, CA StartCom Ltd.
Expires : 2012-12-27 01.37.00 GMT

Encryption protocol : TLS v1.0 256 bit AES (1024 bit DHE_RSA/SHA)

Henri

M Henri Day wrote on 2011-02-27 16.10:

> Interesting ! I checked this out in FF, Chromium, and Opera and at first
> glance everything looked fine. However, that latest Opera contains a feature
> that allows one to check security information with respect to a website, and
> under the «Security» tab, I see the following (my translation from the
> Swedish) :
> *
> This web site is not secure.*
>
> The connexion to www.libreoffice.org is not secure and should not be used to
> transmit sensitive information. The server attempted to activate security
> functions but failed.

do you see the same message if you open https://www.libreoffice.org/admin/ ?

Thanks,
Florian

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

2011/2/27 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> M Henri Day wrote on 2011-02-27 16.10:
>

>  Interesting ! I checked this out in FF, Chromium, and Opera and at first
>> glance everything looked fine. However, that latest Opera contains a
>> feature
>> that allows one to check security information with respect to a website,
>> and
>> under the «Security» tab, I see the following (my translation from the
>> Swedish) :
>> *
>> This web site is not secure.*
>>
>> The connexion to www.libreoffice.org is not secure and should not be used
>> transmit sensitive information. The server attempted to activate security
>> functions but failed.
>>

> do you see the same message if you open https://www.libreoffice.org/admin/?
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

No, Florian, when I type that sequence into the address bar, I'm redirected
to «https://www.libreoffice.org/Security/login?BackURL=%2Fadmin%2F» and a
padlock symbol is shown to the left. When I click on the latter, I'm
informed both that the connexion is secure and that the website has an
«impeccable» security history - a description I much appreciated. In order
to log onto the above page, I was instructed to «[p]lease choose an
authentication method and enter your credentials to access the CMS» ; when I
then attempted to do so using my email address and my registration password
for the LibreOffice forum, I was rejected, which is, I presume, precisely as
it should be, given that I am not an LO adminstrator....

Henri

NoOp NoOp

On 02/27/2011 07:10 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

> Interesting ! I checked this out in FF, Chromium, and Opera and at first
> glance everything looked fine. However, that latest Opera contains a feature
> that allows one to check security information with respect to a website, and
> under the «Security» tab, I see the following (my translation from the
> Swedish) :
> *
> This web site is not secure.*
>
> The connexion to www.libreoffice.org is not secure and should not be used to
> transmit sensitive information. The server attempted to activate security
> functions but failed.
>
> The above notice is followed by a so-called «certificate summary», as
> follows :
>
> Owner : *.libreoffice.org, Florian Effenberger
> Issuer : StartCom Class2 Primary Intermediate Server, CA StartCom Ltd.
> Expires : 2012-12-27 01.37.00 GMT
>
> Encryption protocol : TLS v1.0 256 bit AES (1024 bit DHE_RSA/SHA)
>
> Henri

That's OK as it is pulling the images from an http vs http:
http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png
In other words, its mixed & only 'partially' secure.

If you try https://www.libreoffice.org/download/ that page should show
the security lock. And if you check the security (Tools|Advanced|Page
Security Info) you should see:
The connection to www.libreoffice.org is secure.

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.7.62 Version/11.01

The issue, at this point, is with SeaMonkey (linux) & Konquer. If I try
on SeaMonkey Windows 2.1b2 it's fine:
http://img402.imageshack.us/f/seamonkeycertwindows1.png/

I've posted on the SeaMonkey dev group to see I someone there can figure
out the issue.

Gary

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/2/27 NoOp <[hidden email]>

> On 02/27/2011 07:10 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> >
> > Interesting ! I checked this out in FF, Chromium, and Opera and at first
> > glance everything looked fine. However, that latest Opera contains a
> feature
> > that allows one to check security information with respect to a website,
> and
> > under the «Security» tab, I see the following (my translation from the
> > Swedish) :
> > *
> > This web site is not secure.*
> >
> > The connexion to www.libreoffice.org is not secure and should not be
> used to
> > transmit sensitive information. The server attempted to activate security
> > functions but failed.
> >
> > The above notice is followed by a so-called «certificate summary», as
> > follows :
> >
> > Owner : *.libreoffice.org, Florian Effenberger
> > Issuer : StartCom Class2 Primary Intermediate Server, CA StartCom Ltd.
> > Expires : 2012-12-27 01.37.00 GMT
> >
> > Encryption protocol : TLS v1.0 256 bit AES (1024 bit DHE_RSA/SHA)
> >
> > Henri
> >

> That's OK as it is pulling the images from an http vs http:
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png
> In other words, its mixed & only 'partially' secure.

Not quite sure what you mean by «pulling the images from an http vs http»
here, Gary, as the address for which the anomalous security ratings is shown
is, in fact, «https://www.libreoffice.org/», i e, a https address. In any
event, I still get the above messages for «https://www.libreoffice.org/» on
Opera....

> If you try https://www.libreoffice.org/download/ that page should show
> the security lock. And if you check the security (Tools|Advanced|Page
> Security Info) you should see:
> The connection to www.libreoffice.org is secure.
>
> Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.7.62 Version/11.01

That was indeed the case on Opera 11.01 on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 setup....

> The issue, at this point, is with SeaMonkey (linux) & Konquer. If I try
> on SeaMonkey Windows 2.1b2 it's fine:
> http://img402.imageshack.us/f/seamonkeycertwindows1.png/
>
> I've posted on the SeaMonkey dev group to see I someone there can figure
> out the issue.
>
> Gary

Archived for eternity ! Not bad - I'd settle for half of that !....

Henri

NoOp NoOp

[Solved] Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

On 02/27/2011 11:52 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> 2011/2/27 NoOp <snipped>
>
>> On 02/27/2011 07:10 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

>> That's OK as it is pulling the images from an http vs http:
>>
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png
>> In other words, its mixed & only 'partially' secure.
>>

> Not quite sure what you mean by «pulling the images from an http vs http»
> here, Gary, as the address for which the anomalous security ratings is shown
> is, in fact, «https://www.libreoffice.org/», i e, a https address. In any
> event, I still get the above messages for «https://www.libreoffice.org/» on
> Opera....

What that means is that the rotating images that you see on the page
showing LO screenshots are obtained from
http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/. That's a
non-encrypted link & so Opera is telling you that there are unencrypted
objects on the page & therefore isn't completely secure. In other
browsers (Firefox for instance) you will see a 'broken lock' on that
page to indicate that it has mixed objects (unencrypted/encrypted).

>> If you try https://www.libreoffice.org/download/ that page should show
>> the security lock. And if you check the security (Tools|Advanced|Page
>> Security Info) you should see:
>> The connection to www.libreoffice.org is secure.
>>
>> Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.7.62 Version/11.01
>>

> That was indeed the case on Opera 11.01 on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 setup....
>

>> The issue, at this point, is with SeaMonkey (linux) & Konquer. If I try
>> on SeaMonkey Windows 2.1b2 it's fine:
>> http://img402.imageshack.us/f/seamonkeycertwindows1.png/
>>
>> I've posted on the SeaMonkey dev group to see I someone there can figure
>> out the issue.

Looks like a SeaMonkey profile issue. Just tried on a different machine
& the regular profile gets the errors. Switched to a clean 'test'
profile and https://www.libreoffice.org/download works fine (linux). Now
I just have to find the correct mozilla sqlite file that apparently is
still stuck on *.documentfoundation.org and not picking up
*.libreoffice.org.

Apologies for for the false alarm & noise.

>> Gary

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: [Solved] Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

2011/2/27 NoOp <[hidden email]>

> On 02/27/2011 11:52 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> > 2011/2/27 NoOp <snipped>
> >
> >> On 02/27/2011 07:10 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> >> That's OK as it is pulling the images from an http vs http:
> >>

> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png
> >> In other words, its mixed & only 'partially' secure.
> >>

> > Not quite sure what you mean by «pulling the images from an http vs http»
> > here, Gary, as the address for which the anomalous security ratings is
> shown
> > is, in fact, «https://www.libreoffice.org/», i e, a https address. In
> any
> > event, I still get the above messages for «https://www.libreoffice.org/»
> on
> > Opera....
>
> What that means is that the rotating images that you see on the page
> showing LO screenshots are obtained from
> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/. That's a
> non-encrypted link & so Opera is telling you that there are unencrypted
> objects on the page & therefore isn't completely secure. In other
> browsers (Firefox for instance) you will see a 'broken lock' on that
> page to indicate that it has mixed objects (unencrypted/encrypted).

Gary, I can't access the
http://www.libreoffice.org/<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/>
assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/><http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/>page
; when I try I'm informed that I don't have the requisite permissions.
However, precisely as you said - which, of course, I should have noted
previously - in Firefox, when I access the
http://www.libreoffice.org/<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/>page,
a note to the effect that the website has not provided any information
on the owner is displayed and in addition, under technical details, a
message to the effect that the website is partially encrypted and that
certain portions of the page were not encrypted before being sent over the
internet....

Henri

> >> If you try https://www.libreoffice.org/download/ that page should show
> >> the security lock. And if you check the security (Tools|Advanced|Page
> >> Security Info) you should see:
> >> The connection to www.libreoffice.org is secure.
> >>
> >> Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.7.62 Version/11.01
> >>

> > That was indeed the case on Opera 11.01 on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10
> setup....
> >

> >> The issue, at this point, is with SeaMonkey (linux) & Konquer. If I try
> >> on SeaMonkey Windows 2.1b2 it's fine:
> >> http://img402.imageshack.us/f/seamonkeycertwindows1.png/
> >>
> >> I've posted on the SeaMonkey dev group to see I someone there can figure
> >> out the issue.
>
> Looks like a SeaMonkey profile issue. Just tried on a different machine
> & the regular profile gets the errors. Switched to a clean 'test'
> profile and https://www.libreoffice.org/download works fine (linux). Now
> I just have to find the correct mozilla sqlite file that apparently is
> still stuck on *.documentfoundation.org and not picking up
> *.libreoffice.org.
>
> Apologies for for the false alarm & noise.
>

> >> Gary

*老朽
頓首

M Henri Day, PhD, MD
Stadshagsvägen 22, 5tr
S-112 50 Stockholm
SUÈDE

Tel : +46 8 6183098
Email : [hidden email]
Skype/Google Talk : mhenriday
http://mhenriday.googlepages.com
http://mhenriday.blogspot.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/mhenriday/*

NoOp NoOp

On 02/27/2011 01:09 PM, M Henri Day wrote:

> 2011/2/27 NoOp <[hidden email]>

>> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png
>> >>

>> > Not quite sure what you mean by «pulling the images from an http vs http»
>> > here, Gary, as the address for which the anomalous security ratings is
>> shown
>> > is, in fact, «https://www.libreoffice.org/», i e, a https address. In
>> any
>> > event, I still get the above messages for «https://www.libreoffice.org/»
>> on
>> > Opera....
>>
>> What that means is that the rotating images that you see on the page
>> showing LO screenshots are obtained from
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/. That's a
>> non-encrypted link & so Opera is telling you that there are unencrypted
>> objects on the page & therefore isn't completely secure. In other
>> browsers (Firefox for instance) you will see a 'broken lock' on that
>> page to indicate that it has mixed objects (unencrypted/encrypted).
>>

> Gary, I can't access the
> http://www.libreoffice.org/<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/>
> assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/><http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/>page
> ; when I try I'm informed that I don't have the requisite permissions.

That's correct - you don't have permission. I was only pointing out that
the .png's for the screenshots on the web page pull the files from
there. You will of course be able to access these:

<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-12.png>

<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-11.png>

<http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-10.png>

etc. I was just pointing out that those are the reason why you are
getting a mixed (encrypted/unencrypted) page notice.

If those links used https:
<https://www.libreoffice.org/assets/resized_screenshots_avoid/Screenshot-10.png>
Then the entire page would show as secure when you use https to access it.

NoOp NoOp

On 02/27/2011 12:15 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Looks like a SeaMonkey profile issue. Just tried on a different machine
> & the regular profile gets the errors. Switched to a clean 'test'
> profile and https://www.libreoffice.org/download works fine (linux). Now
> I just have to find the correct mozilla sqlite file that apparently is
> still stuck on *.documentfoundation.org and not picking up
> *.libreoffice.org.
>
> Apologies for for the false alarm & noise.

Found it.
security.enable.ssl2 was set to true. Reset it to false & the page now
loads fine.

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: [Resolved] Re: Ping Florian - StartCom Certs

Hi,

NoOp wrote on 2011-02-27 22.52:
> Found it.
> security.enable.ssl2 was set to true. Reset it to false&  the page now
> loads fine.

thanks for sharing! There are quite some other reports of issues with
the SSL certificate, so if anyone else experiences problems, let me know.

Florian