Position of caption (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to the Above position

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Position of caption (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to the Above position

In LibreOffice Writer (as well as Apache OpenOffice)  the position of a caption object (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to a  position above the Table.  UX in place now makes default positioning as below. This impacts use of LibreOffice for  "academic" writing, and also has Accessibility compliance aspects for use of writer as an Information Communications Technology (ICT) "authoring tool".

There is a long present enhancement request fdo#40457 open against this issue.  Invite UX discussion of merits of this enhancement and encourage the ESC to broker seemingly minimal developer effort needed to adjust this default behavior.

1). most academic style descriptions (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.) specify that Tables should be provided with Title caption positioned above the table.  In LibreOffice a Title is generically handled with a "caption" object.  Unfortunately the default positioning of caption for Table objects is configured to Below to object.

When creating a single table, the more common use case, creating and associating a caption as Title for the Table object, is done from the Table context menu (Shift+<F10> with a Caption panel.   Also for this dialog, the default location for the caption is the less useful below.

But also within a given document, the AutoCaption panel (Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Writer ) can be used to position the caption, i.e. Title, for Table objects from default below to the more viable Above placement.   But this has to be done for every document.

Since the more common usage requirement is to place the Title of a table above the Table believe the defaults should be adjusted accordingly.

2.) a  change in default behavior would better align with needs of assistive technology  to render document content in a more accessible fashion--default positioning a caption as title is in line with WCAG 2.0 -level A and AA compliance. And theyeby with the derivative accessibility requirements  of EC Mandate M376,  EN 501 349,  and draft US Access-Board (Section 508) rules for ITC "Authoring Tool" accessibility services (chpt 502.2).  In other words, making this change in default behavior for Tables improves rgulatory compliance of LibreOffice and eases the burden for adopters.

Accessibility Standards:

W3C - WCAG 2.0
W3C - WCAG 2.0 implementation techniques
W3C - WCAG 2.0 - H39

US
US Access Board (ADA) Section 508
US - draft "Information Communications Technology (ICT) Standards & Guidelines"

EU
EU Accessibility Requirements
Draft standard - (EN) 301 549
JorenDC JorenDC

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Position of caption (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to the Above position

Hi Stuart, *,

Op 27-05-13 03:08, V Stuart Foote schreef:
> In LibreOffice Writer (as well as Apache OpenOffice)  the position of a
> caption object (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to a  position
> above the Table.
<snip>

Ok. First of all, to be honest: I didn't know that (and yes, I'm still a
student :p).
I can not beat references to European as well as American standards, but
what I would like to say is to keep still a really easy option to place
the caption of a table _below_ it. I know that, during my education,
sometimes teachers gives you other 'constrains'. Which are sadly not
always the same as the standards you are referring too.

easy accessible too)

</snip>

Kind regards,
Joren
V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Position of caption (e.g. title) for Table objects should default to the Above position

Joren,

>...but please keep another option to do it otherwise (still
>easy accessible too)

Oh, absolutely.  And I also find it helpful at times to be able to place a caption below a table--I just don't think that should be the default behavior of the InsertCaption panel.

As you say for ease of selection, the option combo box of Above|Below should remain,  just reverse the default.