PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

avamk avamk

PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hello,

My group is in the process of setting up a slideshow template, and unfortunately for practical reasons need to save it as a PowerPoint template.

My question is twofold:

(1) What are some of your experiences in opening and using PowerPoint templates in LibreOffice? I prefer saving in the template in a format that I can reasonably expect good support for in LibreOffice.

(2) We prefer a format that is as future proof as possible (in terms of consistent look and format using it between different software, Micro$oft or otherwise). With that in mind, which of the following would be a better choice? Microsoft PowerPoint 97/Xp/2000/2003 Template (*.pot), Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010 XML Template (*.potx), or Office Open XML Presentation Template (*.potm; *.potx)?

Our work environment consists mainly of computers running Micro$oft PowerPoint 2010, a couple with PowerPoint 2007, and only one with LibreOffice 3.5. (Unfortunately switching all to LibreOffice is not practical for numerous reasons that I wish weren't true, but beyond the scope of this email.)

Thank you in advance for your time.
Scott Scott

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

On Wednesday June 13, 2012 1:27 pm avamk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My group is in the process of setting up a slideshow template, and
> unfortunately for practical reasons need to save it as a PowerPoint
> template.
>
> My question is twofold:
>
> (1) What are some of your experiences in opening and using PowerPoint
> templates in LibreOffice? I prefer saving in the template in a format that I
> can reasonably expect good support for in LibreOffice.

Templates created in PowerPoint, regardless of the file format, often have
issues in LibreOffice. The most common issues I have encountered are elements
that are misplaced on the slide and font effects that do not transfer to
LibreOffice from PowerPoint. But the most faithful reproduction seems to occur
when using ppt files, regardless of whether they were created from a pot or a
potx. pptx files are not as well-supported under LibreOffice as .ppt files are.
But that's just my experience using a couple of templates I created in
PowerPoint 2010.

> (2) We prefer a format that is as future proof as possible (in terms of
> consistent look and format using it between different software, Micro$oft or
> otherwise). With that in mind, which of the following would be a better
> choice? Microsoft PowerPoint 97/Xp/2000/2003 Template (*.pot), Microsoft
> PowerPoint 2007/2010 XML Template (*.potx), or Office Open XML Presentation
> Template (*.potm; *.potx)?

That's a difficult question to give a blanket answer for. It will depend on what
features you include in your template. You will need to ensure that the fonts
you use are available on all systems where the templates will be used, for
instance. Your templates will need to be tested on all the software where it
will be used to ensure that formatting is consistent. This could be an ongoing
process.

One thing you might consider is whether you need the presentation in any of
those formats. PowerPoint and Libreoffice can export presentations to PDF, which
can be presented with some limited transition effects in many PDF viewers. Not
many viewers offer a presentation mode with suitable features, though. Okular
seems to have the best presentation mode among the PDF viewers I have tested,
and there is a Windows version of that available from kde.org.

> Our work environment consists mainly of computers running Micro$oft
> PowerPoint 2010, a couple with PowerPoint 2007, and only one with
> LibreOffice 3.5. (Unfortunately switching all to LibreOffice is not
> practical for numerous reasons that I wish weren't true, but beyond the
> scope of this email.)

You will have far fewer headaches by obtaining an Office license for the one
machine that doesn't have it than to try to make all presentation programs
happy with whatever format is the least common denominator, unfortunately.

--
Scott

Tom Tom

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hi :)
Educational institutions and students can sometimes get discounts as do some charitable organisations.

I think my route would be to try to set-up the template in LibreOffice but use the .otp (native ODF template format) for the main original, then use that to Save As a .pot rather than a .potX to create one that MS Office can open and then use MS Office to tweak the .pot to fix any problems.  Scott has more experience with doing presentations tho but that is what i would do for spreadsheets or word-processor files.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

nabbler nabbler

On 13/06/2012, avamk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My group is in the process of setting up a slideshow template, and
> unfortunately for practical reasons need to save it as a PowerPoint
> template.

The simplest solution: buy m$

> My question is twofold:
>
> (1) What are some of your experiences in opening and using PowerPoint
> templates in LibreOffice? I prefer saving in the template in a format that
> can reasonably expect good support for in LibreOffice.

Have you written to an m$ forum and asked them their experiences of
using odf templates in m$o?

> (2) We prefer a format that is as future proof as possible (in terms of
> consistent look and format using it between different software, Micro$oft
> or
> otherwise). With that in mind, which of the following would be a better
> choice? Microsoft PowerPoint 97/Xp/2000/2003 Template (*.pot), Microsoft
> PowerPoint 2007/2010 XML Template (*.potx), or Office Open XML Presentation
> Template (*.potm; *.potx)?

This is total madness: who goes to a Toyota car shop and asks for
advice on the most appropriate Mercedes vans???

> Our work environment consists mainly of computers running Micro$oft
> PowerPoint 2010, a couple with PowerPoint 2007, and only one with
> LibreOffice 3.5. (Unfortunately switching all to LibreOffice is not
> practical for numerous reasons that I wish weren't true, but beyond the
> scope of this email.)

LO is not an m$ product!

A company that cannot afford to pay m$ licences is not going to be in
existence for long...

Tom Tom

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hi :)
Blimey.  I guess the aim is to deter people from trying LO through sheer rudeness and unreasonable demands.

A good Toyota car-dealer would easily have sold a Toyota car to the person asking about mercs or at least would have left a good enough impression that the person might seek out a Toyota in the future.

Posts like e-letter's just convinces people to never try LO and to tell their friends about the awful service here.

On 13/06/2012, avamk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My group is in the process of setting up a slideshow template, and
> unfortunately for practical reasons need to save it as a PowerPoint
> template.

The simplest solution: buy m$

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 14.06.2012 22:44, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Blimey.  I guess the aim is to deter people from trying LO through sheer rudeness and unreasonable demands.
>
> A good Toyota car-dealer would easily have sold a Toyota car to the person asking about mercs or at least would have left a good enough impression that the person might seek out a Toyota in the future.
>
> Posts like e-letter's just convinces people to never try LO and to tell their friends about the awful service here.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Shut up if you can't contribute anything but sentiment.
It is the extremely bad quality of this product and lack of competent
user support which deters users.

Tom Tom

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hi :)
Exactly what did e-letter's answer contribute?  Why attack my post and not his?

> Blimey.  I guess the aim is to deter people from trying LO through sheer rudeness and unreasonable demands.
>
> A good Toyota car-dealer would easily have sold a Toyota car to the person asking about mercs or at least would have left a good enough impression that the person might seek out a Toyota in the future.
>
> Posts like e-letter's just convinces people to never try LO and to tell their friends about the awful service here.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Shut up if you can't contribute anything but sentiment.
It is the extremely bad quality of this product and lack of competent
user support which deters users.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

AGAIN for the hundredths time: Because e-letter is perfectly right. Only MS software can edit MS file formats simply because they tailor their file format very tightly around their software.
LibO can export to the old binary formats in acceptable quality so this is the one and only acceptable file format for collaboration with MSOffice users. For finished documents not supposed to be edited anymore, PDF is the perfect solution.
OOXML export is a non-feature. As a matter of fact it does not work. LibO may break OOXML documents. It will take many many more releases until it works as well as export to doc/xls/ppt.

Anybody who is confronted with MS files on a daily basis needs at least one machine with MSOffice installed.
Any other Windows box should have the free MS Viewers installed so you can really see how the documents look like.

Stop propagating your wishful thinking and unproven sentiment. It does not help anybody. This is just embarrassing and has nothing to do with end user support.
avamk avamk

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hello,

Thanks for Scott's and Tom's suggestions so far.

My motivation for the original question was that I prefer to keep the single installation of LibreOffice 3.5 that exists in our group, if one of *.pot or *.potx can work reasonably well in LibreOffice. I hope that LibreOffice will become the main office suite, but again that is proving to be difficult in a Microsoft dense environment.

If in the end it really doesn't work, then perhaps we will have to go with e-letter's "simplest solution", which is to replace LibreOffice on that machine with Microsoft Office.

e-letter's response may not be wrong, but I agree with Tom that rudeness is neither required nor helpful, and will certainly not attract new users to LibreOffice. I have a great desire to switch to LibreOffice and other Free Software, and therefore will continue trying despite possible rude responses to my best, honest attempt at asking questions. If my colleagues asked the original question, they might have already been turned away and installed Microsoft Office on that one machine.

I also believe Tom *did* contribute by making a suggestion, which I will try (and also Scott's). Thanks again for all your responses!
Tom Tom

Re: PowerPoint templates and choice of .pot vs .potx?

Hi :)
Thanks :)  Most people on this list are friendly and helpful.  Even though Andreas agreed with e-letter he (Andreas) still manages to put negative information in a much more polite and friendly way (except when addressing me personnally of course).

Yes, my suggestion was to keep an original long-term template in OpenDocument Format which is native to LibreOffice and many other Office Suites and programs.  Then use that to create an MS template and forget about the ODF one until the MS one breaks.  It will break because MS keep changing the way legacy things are rendered.  Then you have the original, that is in ODF and that may even be directly usable by MS by then.  (Just don't hold your breath waiting for them to fulfill their promise to support ODF! lol).