Preserve non-sequential numbering?

doubi doubi

Preserve non-sequential numbering?

Hello all,

Rather than spending a lot on statue books I'll only use once, I'm
compiling a collection of legislation I need for an upcoming exam by
taking the relevant provisions from a government website and arranging
them in LO.

I've defined a Numbering Style for all headings: Act title, part number,
crossheading, provision number, sub-provision. I only need certain
provisions from  different Acts - Charities Act provision 13, Trustees
Act provision 2, etc.

At first I tried arranging everything in the same document, but I found
that even if I selected a certain provision (provision "A")and
explicitly started the numbering where I wanted (eg 13, by right-click >
Numbering/Bullets > Options tab > Start at ), this would change if I
start inserting new provisions (provision "B") from a different Act
above provision A in the document. Then I thought I might be able to get
around it by using a Master Document with sub-documents, but the
numbering of provisions is still interdependent because they all use the
same styles.

I realise most of you will read the above and say, "Well, obviously" -
that it's all correct behaviour! It's just me having an awkward use-case
where when I tell something to be number 13, I want it to stay number 13...

In terms of behaviour I was a little surprised that the Master Document
solution didn't work, and more surprised that options set with
right-click > Numbering/Bullet seem to affect the style itself, rather
than the particular instance. As far as I can make out, this is in
contrast to the behaviour of right-click > Paragraph options.

Is there any way I can get round this? Sections or something? Or will I
just have to keep /completely/ separate documents and print them all one
at a time?

Cheers,

--Ryan

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Preserve non-sequential numbering?

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:49 +0100, Ryan Jendoubi wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Rather than spending a lot on statue books I'll only use once, I'm
> compiling a collection of legislation I need for an upcoming exam by
> taking the relevant provisions from a government website and arranging
> them in LO.
>
> I've defined a Numbering Style for all headings: Act title, part number,
> crossheading, provision number, sub-provision. I only need certain
> provisions from  different Acts - Charities Act provision 13, Trustees
> Act provision 2, etc.
>
> At first I tried arranging everything in the same document, but I found
> that even if I selected a certain provision (provision "A")and
> explicitly started the numbering where I wanted (eg 13, by right-click >
> Numbering/Bullets > Options tab > Start at ), this would change if I
> start inserting new provisions (provision "B") from a different Act
> above provision A in the document. Then I thought I might be able to get
> around it by using a Master Document with sub-documents, but the
> numbering of provisions is still interdependent because they all use the
> same styles.
>
> I realise most of you will read the above and say, "Well, obviously" -
> that it's all correct behaviour! It's just me having an awkward use-case
> where when I tell something to be number 13, I want it to stay number 13...
>
> In terms of behaviour I was a little surprised that the Master Document
> solution didn't work, and more surprised that options set with
> right-click > Numbering/Bullet seem to affect the style itself, rather
> than the particular instance. As far as I can make out, this is in
> contrast to the behaviour of right-click > Paragraph options.
>
> Is there any way I can get round this? Sections or something? Or will I
> just have to keep /completely/ separate documents and print them all one
> at a time?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Ryan

Instead of right-click > Numbering/Bullet, try right-click > Paragraph >
Outline & Numbering tab; in the Numbering section, tick Restart at this
paragraph and Start with 13.

--Jean

doubi doubi

On 19/05/11 11:59, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> Instead of right-click>  Numbering/Bullet, try right-click>  Paragraph>
> Outline&  Numbering tab; in the Numbering section, tick Restart at this
> paragraph and Start with 13.

That seems to be working so far! Fantastic Jean, thanks so much.

--Ryan