Principles trumps ownership

drewjensen drewjensen

Principles trumps ownership

Governance principles are more important than ownership
        In working through situations of disagreement, it is better to
        focus on applying governance principles rather than determining
        who has ultimate authority, as over-reliance on the latter can
        short-circuit opportunities to rely on and expand the use of
        healthy, open processes.

Just some thoughts,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Principles trumps ownership

Hi Drew,

Drew Jensen wrote (09-10-10 15:54)
> Governance principles are more important than ownership
> [...]
> Just some thoughts,

How often can someone have 'just some thoughts', but in the same time
add very wise ideas and words to our list...
Four times - maybe Guinness book of Records :-) Anyway, thanks a lot Drew.

Your 'thoughts' about culture, stewardship, decision making and
governance, describe very well the way in which I experienced (most of)
the work we (the people that started The Document Foundation) did the
past months.

Moreover: we know that it is needed to bring more clarity in the ideas
of governance. So that will start soon. Fact is, that at the moment odd
things as setting up lists, wiki's and such, keeps many of us quite busy.

But the topic is high on our agenda. Won't take long - I hope. And I
will be delighted with your help and wordings in that process.

Kindest regards,
Cor

  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

yorick yorick

On Sunday 10 Oct 2010 10:07:08 Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> Drew Jensen wrote (09-10-10 15:54)
>
> > Governance principles are more important than ownership
> > [...]
> > Just some thoughts,
>
> How often can someone have 'just some thoughts', but in the same time
> add very wise ideas and words to our list...
> Four times - maybe Guinness book of Records :-) Anyway, thanks a lot Drew.
>
> Your 'thoughts' about culture, stewardship, decision making and
> governance, describe very well the way in which I experienced (most of)
> the work we (the people that started The Document Foundation) did the
> past months.
>
> Moreover: we know that it is needed to bring more clarity in the ideas
> of governance. So that will start soon. Fact is, that at the moment odd
> things as setting up lists, wiki's and such, keeps many of us quite busy.
>
> But the topic is high on our agenda. Won't take long - I hope. And I
> will be delighted with your help and wordings in that process.
>
> Kindest regards,
> Cor

Not such new thoughts, however a timely reminder from our community history.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Talk:U.s.oo.o/Charter

Thanks for jogging the memory Drew, I'd forgotten about it.  It was one of
those gems that just sort of faded from the collective memory.

That whole thing is worth reviving it speaks a hell of a lot of sense and fits
TDF remarkably well.

When one comes to think about it we done a lot of this before or at least
thought about it and in a lot of cases, this being the perfect example, put
text to wiki but it never went any further probably because of the inertia of
the bureaucracy, not sure, my memory is only of one looking on in interest, so
could be faulty.  :)  .

Cheers
GL

PS A small part of was originally borrowed from OSAF  http://osafoundation.org

Text here:

http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/OsafProjectGovernance

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org