Printing 7' x 5" envelopes?

dave boland dave boland

Printing 7' x 5" envelopes?

Seems like with each new version of LO this gets harder.  I need to
print addresses for Christmas card envelopes.  The envelopes are 7.25"
wide and 5.25" high - a standard size, but not found in LO.  I see the
database connection works to my spreadsheet of addresses, but getting
the format right does not work.

I used User/Custom size, 7.25"W x 5.25"H.  What is displayed is not a
7.25" x 5.25" envelope.  I need a detailed procedure to make this work.

Thanks,
Dave
--
  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be

dave boland dave boland

Re: Printing 7' x 5" envelopes?

UPDATE: I was able to get the envelopes printed by creating my own
template and somehow the mail merge worked (don't ask me what I did -
don't recall).

Still, the envelope/mail merge process needs some serious improvement to
make it more straight forward and easier.

Dave,

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016, at 12:01 AM, dave boland wrote:

> Seems like with each new version of LO this gets harder.  I need to
> print addresses for Christmas card envelopes.  The envelopes are 7.25"
> wide and 5.25" high - a standard size, but not found in LO.  I see the
> database connection works to my spreadsheet of addresses, but getting
> the format right does not work.
>
> I used User/Custom size, 7.25"W x 5.25"H.  What is displayed is not a
> 7.25" x 5.25" envelope.  I need a detailed procedure to make this work.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> --
>   dave boland
>   [hidden email]
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be

  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

Re: Printing 7' x 5" envelopes?

Thank you for bringing up this topic.  Using WordStar/DOS, I have been
printing custom envelopes for my company for years.  About a year or 2
ago, when I was unable to print envelopes with LO, the response from
this list was that LO is designed to print one (1) envelope along with a
letter you might be sending, not to print 50 "Contract Return Envelopes"
(#10), "Billing Return Envelopes", #6 3/4, etc.  One more reason to
continue using WordStar/DOS.

John

On 12/06/2016 10:13 PM, dave boland wrote:

> UPDATE: I was able to get the envelopes printed by creating my own
> template and somehow the mail merge worked (don't ask me what I did -
> don't recall).
>
> Still, the envelope/mail merge process needs some serious improvement to
> make it more straight forward and easier.
>
> Dave,
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016, at 12:01 AM, dave boland wrote:
>> Seems like with each new version of LO this gets harder.  I need to
>> print addresses for Christmas card envelopes.  The envelopes are 7.25"
>> wide and 5.25" high - a standard size, but not found in LO.  I see the
>> database connection works to my spreadsheet of addresses, but getting
>> the format right does not work.
>>
>> I used User/Custom size, 7.25"W x 5.25"H.  What is displayed is not a
>> 7.25" x 5.25" envelope.  I need a detailed procedure to make this work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>> --
>>    dave boland
>>    [hidden email]
>>
>> --
>> http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be

>> deleted

CVAlkan CVAlkan

Re: Printing 7' x 5" envelopes?

I haven't done envelopes with Writer for some time because it was such a pain, but I recall that a few years back I had more success in using custom Labels rather than Envelopes with mail merge. I remember that I had to define a single page label that was the size of the envelope I was using.

I'm not sure whether I had to first create a pdf from the merged result, and then print that from the Acrobat Reader, since that's the most common way I print from LO now.

I'm sorry I can't give you a step-by-step for that process, but it might help you out of your current jam if it works; after all you need to get those cards in the mail pretty soon :)

-Frank